Engine Tries Running Backwards

Goosevf_1

Hello everybody!

You may remember a couple mon the ago I made a post, trying to sort out a starting issue. The truck runs well, but has a very hard time starting while cold. Well, as it dips in the -10-20 degree celciis range, I wanted to to trying it again. It seems to have gotten worse.

The truck has been parked all summer trying to figure this thing out.

Today I replace the ignition coil, voltage regulator, cap, rotor, ignition wires and egr valves. When I tried to start it, no change, still hard to go, tries to cough and sputter. When I let go of the starter, it kicked back the other way and tried to run back wards for a few seconds and smokes out the intake.

Any ideas on what to try here? Thanks.

I found the thread last night. Looks like a fresh distributor fixed his issues. Ill update on the weekend as thats the soonest I can make it to the wreckers. Thanks fellas, hopefully this phantom issue will be resolved after several months of trying lol.

So this morning I put in the nenew distributor. Timing was way out so I put it where it needed to be. Finding a diagram with proper timing mark lables was tough but I think I determined I have 7 marks. Meaning -5 0 5 10 15 20 and 25. Set it to 15 based on that. Engine sounds like it's idling a bit rougher than it did before the changes but it seemed to start better. It had been running for a bit so it may be just warming up, and usually the problem is less apparent when it's warm.

Interesting thing that happend after I timed it, now as I push the accelerator, the CEL comes on. But only while I'm pushing the pedal. Ideas anyone? Ecm codes came back 55

I'm with Adam, your timing is still off as a starting base. Get er back on track there and let us know if you have any improvement. (Last time I set my timing I did it by vaccum because I was too lazy to take ten steps to get my timing light so I don't even know off hand what WhiteOwl is set at :lol: )