Freeing Up Some Ponies

ebayfish

I'm trying to increase some horsepower on my 3.0 4wd, mainly for fuel economy. I've cleaned throttle body, ran seafoam through the crankcase, changes fluids, filters, etc. Installed new plugs, wires & distributer. I'm about to drop my headers in, along with a raptor muffler, increase exhaust pipe diameter and delete my first cat. I plan to build an intake soon too. What are some other good means to free up/increase some power out of the 3.0?

Sounds like you are doing all the right things. I don't know but maybe drop in a small chevy block. The engine bay is wide but narrow. It would be an expensive conversion, but not expensive if you've got the right people who know how to do these things. Supercharger might fit, I've seen photos of them in Pathfinders.

Lol. Those all sound like wonderful ideas, but want to leave the the engine in the truck. I was thinking about trying to mod a turbo from a 300z, but not sure how if get better fuel economy, I'd just want to hear the turbo spool up. I guess I'm looking for simple tweeks or bolt on/plug in power.

To install cams all you do is remove the timing assembly and the cam seals. Pull the valve covers and Un bolt the cam retainers. The cams then slide out forward from the engine. There's a little more to it than that, but that's the basic procedure. I'm going to be going with re grind cams from the z store. They are about 130$ for a pair if you have donor stock cams to send in.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things. I don't know but maybe drop in a small chevy block. The engine bay is wide but narrow. It would be an expensive conversion, but not expensive if you've got the right people who know how to do these things. Supercharger might fit, I've seen photos of them in Pathfinders.

I agree with Terranovation.

I did the small block and if planned properly, its not that expensive and there is enough room in the engine bay. If you're patient, finding an good small block engine for a great price isn't that rare, and the rest can decent salvaged parts.

For the time and $, the 300 plus HP was the best upgrade, and it makes the ARB's, the 4.88 gears etc. so much more fun and capable. Low rpm's allow for great crawling control, and long mountain highway climbs are a breeze.

For the money of going to a supercharger, what is the HP to dollars ratio? For what its worth, that my 2 cents.

I expect at least 20 hp and at least 10-15 lb ft with the cams. Plus an increase in mileage. I run exhaust, headers, and soon to be fully custom intake with n60 maf and a snorkel plus an ecu tune. Should be around 210 hp and 230 lb ft torque with my 3.3 swap. In total I will have spent 700-800 dollars in parts including the engine for my entire setup

I've cleaned the throttle body & EGR valve, not port. I'll probably do that when I do the headers. I've got this slight, rhythmic loss of power under normal acceleration. Its not missing, just every few seconds a slight reduction of power. MAF seems clean & if I'm testing correctly, O2 sensor is alright.

I've cleaned the throttle body & EGR valve, not port. I'll probably do that when I do the headers. I've got this slight, rhythmic loss of power under normal acceleration. Its not missing, just every few seconds a slight reduction of power. MAF seems clean & if I'm testing correctly, O2 sensor is alright.

An ignition miss or clogged up injector is the only thing I can think of that would make it do that, unless your fuel filter's so plugged that the pump can't keep up with demand. Any transmission codes?

I thought ignition too, hence the plugs, wires & distributor cap. I haven't touched the injectors yet. New fuel filter 8k ago. Newer 01 xterra tranny (45k) installed 4k ago, did it before too, no codes. I assume it would still read the new tranny the same.