Steering Moan

headpeace

Yeah, well, they did better than a lot of machine tool manual translations I've seen!

As for the X, I'm pretty sure it indicates "do not reuse", especially it is by all seals, o-rings and gaskets. I'm sure there is a legend somewhere, but I'd bet on this one. ;)

B

Alright, I found that the leak was at the connector which has a copper washer and then the banjo bolt holds it all tight. I thought surely the copper washer wouldn't have failed but I replaced it anyway. That fixed that leak - cool. So I started it up and turned the wheels back and forth and go over to look to make sure everything is nice and non-leaky. WTF! now its leaking from the high pressure hose where it connects to the metal line AND the low pressure hose where it connects to the pump!!! Any ideas on WTF the problem is?

In one word, no. Only two things I can think of is that the pump isn't tight and vibrations are causing the hose connections to fail, or somehow it is clogged/overpressuring the system. Other than checking the bolts and the low pressure line connection, I'm not sure what else to do other than replace it.

I did have to replace the high pressure line on my old D720, these things do fail sometimes...

B

A good chunk of something in the hose could restrict flow/cause overpressurization. I've heard of brake lines failing internally so that the rubber flakes in and causes a clog, maybe the same could happen to a P/S hose?

Other than that, maybe the bit in the steering box that lets fluid flow through when it's not needed is clogged up?

I have had them go bad without a high pressure "problem" being the cause, sometimes they just fail. And when your mating rubber to metal, it can happen or perhaps the rubber is simply failing due to age and environment :shrug:

On RockAuto, a PS reseal kit is $13, Return hose is >$10 and the pressure hose is $35-45, expect local prices to be a little higher and you might check with Alkorahil as well.

Wow, nice prices! It was a bit more for the line I replaced and there were few local options. ($150 IIRC and pre-internet days)

Did the high pressure line fail in a way that would cause over-pressurization?

Not to my knowledge. IIRC it was a pinhole leak with weaping at the flex/metal seam. At the time the only option was to replace the whole thing, and it was a major PITA.

B