New with questions - need help ID'ing model

CDN_S4

Hello all, I am looking at buying a Pathfinder as my winter vehicle as I don't wanna drive my baby (Audi S4 with lots of blood and sweat in) in the winter. I drove it last winter and although the Quattro is amazing, being lowered isn't lol. So I decided to go the opposite direction and build a winter, lifted snow machine! And occasional off-roader and general dirty jobs go to vehicle.

I test drove a 99 Pathy, but even the owner doesn't know what model it is. And from the pics it looks different than any Pathfinder I have come across in my internet searches, so I was really hoping you guys could help me out.

The fenders don't have the flares and the bumpers look different.

Some other info, it only has 100,xxx kms, it's an automatic, cloth interior, no badges on it.

Here's the pic:

Pathfinder.jpg

First thing will be new rims with bigger offset for wider stance, and Fleury's lift spacers. I'll be adding a safari roof rack too. Those 30" tires will likely be for sale as I will probably end up with another set so I can buy a 5th.

Thanks

Why lift a snow machine and raise the center of gravity? Won't offset wheels create wheel bearing and turning radius issues?

Why not narrow Blizzaks on stock steelies?

looks a lot like my 2000 SE. mine has all the SE stuff minus the sun roof and fender flares and no badges. the plaque in the drivers door frame should tell you.

Nice find!

Fleury's lift will make the truck look a little more balanced with big off roady tires. the reason you lift a snow machine is to clear un-plowed roads...Fredericton gets plenty of soft sticky snow.....oh, and bug Steve(Fleury's) to make his skid plates again!

And go have a Picaroons at the Tap Room (if its still there). I used to work there way back in the early '00s

^^^ Thanks! I haven't lived in snow country for many years, drove a VW beetle (smooth underside) when I did, used 6:50x15 snow tires on rear.

I thought a heavy vehicle like our Pathfinders would just break through or pack down snow, and the bumper and undercarriage blast away any snow between the axles in snow up to bumper height or so. Didn't think another inch or so of clearance (if a 32 or 33" tire was used) would be crucial.

Skid plates? For a WD -21? Tell us more.

Edited by SAR

Thanks for the welcomes :)

One reason for the above mentioned mods is to make it bad ass of course. I know that wider tires etc will not be ideal for snow, but there is no way I will put wagon wheels on just to dig through snow. As long as it got lots of grip and clearance, it will motor through anything. Last winter I got my Explorer (stock) stuck on an unploughed road.

As for Picaroons, I'll have one extra for you Bushnut, as for the Taproom....i don't think that's around anymore.

Any input on those front and rear bumpers? They look different than any I've come across.... Thanks

And last but not least, what do you think would be a fair price for this. 1006xx km, clean title, 2 owners, stock apart from Wranglers (30''), auto, cloth interior. No work required.

Welcome to the forum !
If you are looking for an economic and scalable solution for a lift or level your truck, come and visit http://4x4design.com/r50-lift-kit.php
* we also make custom stickers * http://4x4design.com/Stickers_Decals.html - Just ask for quote !
Cheers.
Steve.

Thanks Steve, that's the plan. I like your decals too. Stand by for my order coming soon.

Are there any badges - "SE" or "LE" on the rear ?

SE and LE are usually badged while the XE's are not .

Have you checked the VIN number for clues ?

A '99 here in CT with that type of mileage would probably go for $3,000 - $3,500 give or take depending on how bad the buyer wants it .

That would also be dependent on any rust issues , mainly the strut towers .

Edited by Beatup96

Thanks Beautup. So the XE is the base model?

I'll be picking this rig up tomorrow for 3300, sounds like a fair price then I suppose. He was asking for 4000, and I offered 3000, so I guess 33 isn't bad for a compromise.

XE's were the base model but they came with a decent amount of "extras" available .

The seats are a bit hard , no sunroof , stuff like that .

If I were looking for another R50 and found a '99 with 65,000 miles and no rust issues I'd pay $3,300 for it .

I'd definitely get under it and poke around the lower strut towers though , ask the owner if they had the recall on the towers done .

^^ Good info, thanks. I'll make sure to check them out. Maybe I'll be able to shave off an extra few bucks. I glanced under it and the rust didn't strike me as out of the ordinary or excessive. But I will take a closer look.

Also, while I'm learning all kinds of new things about the 4x4 world (had a TJ for a year once, so don't really have any experience) what is a good wheel tire combo? I'm looking for the soft 8's or sth similar, nothing out of the ordinary, and 31-32" tires, ideally MT. But what size width should the wheels be? I see a lot of them come with the option of 15x10 and I love the look of deep dish, wide offset wheels. But does that fit with just a 2" lift? Will this require more backspacing? Logic tells me yes, but I better ask anyways.

Below are 2 pics, sorry to whoever these belong to for stealing them, of what I'm looking to achieve, and I was wondering what I will need to be looking for.

Pathfinder.jpg

PF.jpg

Can't really say what's up with those two trucks , but they look similar to my set up height wise .

This pic shows a '96 XE ('99's are the same) with a 2" AC coil lift and additional 1" strut spacers in the front .

32" Cooper STT's on 15x8" Pro Comp steel wheels with 3.75" backspacing .

The coils were "fresh" in this pic , it's since settled a bit but not much....

a5efc404-7ca9-4c59-bfb5-0b83484799ae.jpg

In these pics you can see how the backspacing pushes the tire out from the strut perch , you can see how without flares they'll be past the fenders by a couple inches .

In some places it could cause legal issues , some people don't like the "wide look" .

Front....

resize_image_1757166858.jpg

Rear....

resize_image_1757561861.jpg

Edited by Beatup96

I think Nissan was all over the map with this sort of stuff. mine is unbadged, no sunroof, LSD rear,heated mirrors, cloth interior. and yet my door plate and title says its an SE.

take time to read the R50 section pinned thread on the rust recall issue. when you go to pick up the truck, use a screwdriver to poke around behind the front struts. this is what you shouldn't see. if you do I wouldn't bother.

P1070027_zps113df967.jpg

Edited by bushnut

Can't really say what's up with those two trucks , but they look similar to my set up height wise .

This pic shows a '96 XE ('99's are the same) with a 2" AC coil lift and additional 1" strut spacers in the front .

32" Cooper STT's on 15x8" Pro Comp steel wheels with 3.75" backspacing .

The coils were "fresh" in this pic , it's since settled a bit but not much....

a5efc404-7ca9-4c59-bfb5-0b83484799ae.jpg

What is that "spoiler" thing on the back, looks like a roof spoiler...?!? I've seen some with those and some without.

It's basically a spoiler , it came stock . maybe part of the package that included the tire carrier ?

I bought the truck in 2000 and didn't get the window sticker so I'm not sure .

As a spoiler it's worthless , 168 hp ain't gonna get me going fast enough or quick enough to make it work !

Yeah I figured it wasn't actually a spoiler, just don't know what else to call it...looks cool though.

I'm looking at Cooper STT tires right now and they seem to have outlined white letters but noticed that in your pics you don't have that, did you just mount them inside out?

I personally LOVE white letters on tires. It plays a factor in my search. I'm currently shopping around on SUMMIT RACING EQUIPMENT because they have the wheels I want. I'm hoping someone can suggest a Canadian source instead though.

Mine were mounted black side out , I figured I'd keep everything black .

One day I'll get around to spraying the faded bumpers and the locking hubs and be The Black Menace..... :lol:

The STT's are not the greatest tire on plowed snow or in slush , if the snow gets deep they burn right through .

They're GREAT in mud , only tried it a few times but it was good thick mud , not deep and watery , thick and slick river floodplain stuff .

Throws up a front/back rooster tail , keep the window up !

Around town they're a hoot , the fronts making some chirping sounds if you push them around a tight corner .

They get a bit squirrely above 70mph , above 75 and it's time for two hands on the wheel .

Same in heavy rain or roads with big puddles , two hands , they don't deal well with too much water at speed .

Thanks!

I went with National4wheelparts and ordered 5 Pro Comp 15x8 152 Rock Crawler Series - Flat Black Street Lock Wheels with 5 Goodyear Duratrecs, 31x10.5R15

Question, can the stock wheel nuts be used on these wheels? I don't see why not as there are no spacers involved, unless due to the BB or offset something interferes?? Hope not.

Next:

Pick up the PF tomorrow. lol this is the first time buying parts for a vehicle I don't actually have yet.

Then:

Lift from fleury

Then: roof rack

These are the wheels I'll have, but more aggressive tires

Sickpathy.jpg

Edited by CDN_S4

IIRC , I could have used the stock lug nuts

The stock wheels are hub centric and the Pro Comps are lug centric , so I bought new lug nuts for lug centric wheels just to be sure .

I got them from Summit .

I've got my Goodyear Wranglers with the lettering out, looks pretty sharp and I picked them up for about $430 each (tire and rim) at Fountain Tire (military deal, so why not?).

20140606_172918_zps22ccb690.jpg

Edited by lerch641

Yeah they are nice. I placed my order with National4WD here in Freddy, not sure if they do Military discounts, they might. But they already sent me a 10% coupon just for placing the order so I doubt they would do an additional deal. 5 rims with 5 Duratrecs 1700, taxes in, free shipping with in store pick-up. I don't know but seems reasonable to me. Can't wait. Placed my order with Steve Fleury too.

Pathfinder.jpg

I moved the original source of the photo and for some reason this computer or the website, I don't know, won't let me edit my post, so here is the original pic again.