my pathfinder sputters and blows white smoke after refueling

unloveable75

today i was out doing some errands and my pathfinder was running very good without any problems and i saw that i was running low on gas so i stopped at a gas station put some gas once after fueling i took off and suddenly it was sputtering and losing power and was running pretty rough and i also saw that a little white smoke was blowing out of the exhaust , i checked on the oil ( after it cooled ofcourse ) and it looked fine , and also notice at taking in first gear the engine rattled a bit and it never did before,, what could have happend??? please help,

Did you fill all the way up?

Yes, sometimes stations get the wrong thing pumped into the wrong tanks. Water could have leaked in as well. I'd call the station to see if there have been any other complaints.

White smoke usually means antifreeze (or water) is burning, so check the radiator to see if it is full and that it doesn't look like it is mized with oil.

You should try not to drive it until you figure out what is going on...

B

I'm moving this to the Garage section where there might be more input...

Edited by Precise1

Did you fill all the way up?

Yes, sometimes stations get the wrong thing pumped into the wrong tanks. Water could have leaked in as well. I'd call the station to see if there have been any other complaints.

White smoke usually means antifreeze (or water) is burning, so check the radiator to see if it is full and that it doesn't look like it is mized with oil.

You should try not to drive it until you figure out what is going on...

B

I'm moving this to the Garage section where there might be more input...

no i havent filled it all the way up, the diesle pumps were seperate from the gas pumps , im gonna check on the radiator, thank you ,, i hope everything comes out fine , if theres any other solution please let me know.

White smoke is also completely unburned fuel, both gas and diesel. If some diesel got in there it won't burn at all, same with water or extremely crappy fuel.

I suspect the fuel is contaminated with water. Water will settle to the bottom of the fuel tank, as it's more dense, and so will be the first thing the engine sucks on when you fire up from refueling. To make matters worse, modern "oxygenated" fuels with added ethanol are slightly hygroscopic - they use cornstarch filters to absorb any moisture that may have made its way in the fuel, but those can become saturated and need replacement (which doesn't always happen in time).

I suspect the fuel is contaminated with water. Water will settle to the bottom of the fuel tank, as it's more dense, and so will be the first thing the engine sucks on when you fire up from refueling. To make matters worse, modern "oxygenated" fuels with added ethanol are slightly hygroscopic - they use cornstarch filters to absorb any moisture that may have made its way in the fuel, but those can become saturated and need replacement (which doesn't always happen in time).

so is there a chance that it could burn off with more use?? or is there a fast solution to this problem??

I had this happen to me a month or so ago. Lucky for me I am usually broke and only get about 20 bucks of fuel at a time. Yes it will burn out. Water sinks to the bottom. Keep it full and it will flush out eventually. If it is water of course. But twice I had water in the tank, both times from seven eleven gas stations.

I had this happen to me a month or so ago. Lucky for me I am usually broke and only get about 20 bucks of fuel at a time. Yes it will burn out. Water sinks to the bottom. Keep it full and it will flush out eventually. If it is water of course. But twice I had water in the tank, both times from seven eleven gas stations.

oh ok so its not that much of a big problem , well sort of,, thanks :) i checked on thr antifreeze level and oil and its all normal so it is water in the tank , so i'm gonna let it burn off and put better gas , or can i put some sort of gas treatment????? please reply :)

Put some water out in the tank and use premium. Do this a couple times. I got water in my tank from wheeling (in a small pond) and that is what I did. What did the gas station say?

i havent said anything to the gas station, ,,,, you mean to just put some premium gas to burn out the water from the tank???

Add some atf to the tank, cleans the carbon out of the fuel injectors too. Just 100 ml though, you won't need much. Also try changing your fuel filter or draining the fuel pump. There should be a plastic screw underneath it which you can turn to drain the water out.

Add some atf to the tank, cleans the carbon out of the fuel injectors too. Just 100 ml though, you won't need much. Also try changing your fuel filter or draining the fuel pump. There should be a plastic screw underneath it which you can turn to drain the water out.

ok ,, so also the white smoke is due to the water in the gas???

Terranovation, keep in mind, we only got the gas motors in the US, and gassers don't come with fuel/water separation equipment. That's a diesel thing. ATF might do something to diesel that helps with water (?) but I can't imagine it being any help getting water out of a gas tank.

I'd probably use some kind of fuel stabilizer like what you put in a lawnmower before storing it (HEET isopropanol or similar)--the idea is that the alcohol in that stuff mixes with the water, and the mix burns better than just water would. Isopropyl alcohol might also work, but make sure it's the 99% stuff, the watered down rubbing alcohol isn't good for much.

Hopefully a little alcohol in the tank sorts her out. If not, let us know, maybe there's something else wrong.

• Like 2

i havent said anything to the gas station, ,,,, you mean to just put some premium gas to burn out the water from the tank???

You should. A lot of other poeple might have the same issue and if it is from that station, they need to hear about it. It might save other people some grief...

B

That happened to mine once, the guy who filled it in the gas station (here in Brazil we don't have self service) got confused (many trucks here are diesel) and filled it with diesel. It just run 100 meters and started to do just like you said, sputtering and blowing white smoke. I had to drain all the tank, fill it with gas, add some injector cleaner stuff and run it a lot, it took almost a week to be ok again.

Edited by flnl
  • Like 1

I'd probably use some kind of fuel stabilizer like what you put in a lawnmower before storing it (HEET isopropanol or similar)--the idea is that the alcohol in that stuff mixes with the water, and the mix burns better than just water would. Isopropyl alcohol might also work, but make sure it's the 99% stuff, the watered down rubbing alcohol isn't good for much.

Hopefully a little alcohol in the tank sorts her out. If not, let us know, maybe there's something else wrong.

I would to to the local auto parts store and get a bottle of fuel stabilizer like slatibartfast sugested. If it is water inteh fuel tank, one this problem is corrected and the truck is back to running properly, change the fuel filter.

Edited by Alkorahil
  • Like 1

today i was out doing some errands and my pathfinder was running very good without any problems and i saw that i was running low on gas so i stopped at a gas station put some gas once after fueling i took off and suddenly it was sputtering and losing power and was running pretty rough and i also saw that a little white smoke was blowing out of the exhaust , i checked on the oil ( after it cooled ofcourse ) and it looked fine , and also notice at taking in first gear the engine rattled a bit and it never did before,, what could have happend??? please help,

I would suspect the rattling in the engine is from the vehicle trying to combust water that it cannot. Have you checked the ECU for any codes?

update.... so what i did was i burn some of it off and i put in some gas treatment and so far is starting to run ok, theres an occasional rattling, loss of power , and blowing white smoke, is that still normal?? do i keep putting gas treatment?? , and when am i gonna get back to normal??

update.... so what i did was i burn some of it off and i put in some gas treatment and so far is starting to run ok, theres an occasional rattling, loss of power , and blowing white smoke, is that still normal?? do i keep putting gas treatment?? , and when am i gonna get back to normal??