California smog

Norcal200486

Wow, gotta get down over a thousand...hmm, I will have to take a look at the FSM later and see if I can find out anything. You have a couple guy's there in California that might have some tips, in the end, someone will get you some good details.

^Bingo! Although failing that badly might not be just the EGR. Is everything else in tune and working well? Does the exhaust smell funny (sulfurous or like rotten eggs)? That might mean the cat is failing as well.

Cleaning the MAF might help and possibly the O2 sensor is causing the engine to run lean.

Here read this...

http://www.smogtips.com/failed-high-NO-nitrous-oxide.cfm

Where in NorCal are you?

B

In Modesto. Hmm what should I use to clean the map sensor? I'm off tomorrow and plan on cleaning the map and egr. Egr is functioning when i apply vac to it the motor wants to die but as an extra measure I'm gonna dis assemble it an clean very well. Should I use chem tool? Any suggestions? I'm also gonna look for any vaccum leaks and I've already ordered the cat... Now if it was the o2 sensor wouldn't I have a check engine light on?

Ok, Modesto is a bit far. The reason I asked is because I have spare (used but functional) MAF, CAT, O2 sensor, etc.

Sounds like the EGR is working, but yes, can't hurt to make sure it isn't partially blocked. There is another test in the FSM (and perhaps more info), have you downloaded it from the pinned topic in the Garage section yet? The earliest year is 1994, but it is pretty much all the same under the hood. I'm not familiar with Chemtool but you might not want to use harsh solvents on the diaphram. Any metal parts should be ok, and a bore brush or rod might help make sure any pipes/orifices are clear.

Definitely look for vacuum leaks because if the vacuum isn't getting to the EGR valve... Visual inspection followed by a flammable test (spray around with WD-40, brake cleaner, etc) with the engine running. If the idle surges, you have found a leak.

The O2 sensor doesn't necessarily trip the CEL if it stays within the voltage range (0-1volt IIRC) but it might be stuck at one voltage which misinforms the ECU.

Alcohol and a Q-tip for the MAF element, just be gentle. All the info is here. http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/5194-how-to-cleaning-your-maf-sensor/

B

Spares are always nice... Lol where are you located? I got the pathfinder from a for 400$ put 700$ in trans, and 250$ at dmv 200$ for a new cat. And probally another 100$ for a o2 sensor. I originally got the truck to tow my boat around and do a little 4 wheeling. But now I have to get it running cause my car took a @!*% on me and I commute to the Bay Area for work!

Yeah, I parted out my first WD21 and upgraded my second considerably. I plan to keep this one for a long time, so I made sure to keep a lot of critical parts. About the only things I don't have spare is a dizzy and an ECU but I'm actively looking to add them to the collection as well. ;)

Like my description says, I'm in Santa Rosa, up in the North Bay or Wine Country how ever you want to look at it, 50 miles North of SF.

Not too bad a price so far! Sucks that you in a bit of a bind, but it sounds like you know what you are doing and are on the right track. I'll help how I can...

B

Hi Norcal200486,

Aside from the solutions above, my first Pathfinder had a lot of problems with California Smog requirements at about 230k miles. If you are unable to solve the problem on your own, California can help you with the cost of professional repair, there are specific requirements for the program, see this link, they will assist you with $500 towards the repair:

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/01_CAP&GoldShield/Factsheets/English%20RA%20FAQs.pdf

Update pulled cat looks good. Egr workin like a top. I did find the coil wire to the dist cap is burnt

At this point I'd pull a spark plug or two to see what condition they are in and if it tells you anything about the fuel ratio (black, tan, etc).

Make sure it isn't running to hot or lean and clean/check the Air Flow Meter, Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor, and O2 sensor

B.

WOW. smog problems.

Been there and may be going back again. I am in Manteca. The last time I had issues with a smog my numbers did not change at all from the previous 2 years. But California lowered the max emissions 20% so I failed my 2nd year.

That was 2 years ago, My solution then was to buy a new cat and new O2 sensor and use it just for smog. I installed them and got it smogged, then I took them off and put them in a box. Now it is time to re install them and go back. I am due in April so I am going to have to do this in the next couple of weeks. SIgh.

I hope California did not lower them any more. I Got tired of the stock Cat flanges and welded some ball flanges on my exhaust. That way I don't have to mess with gaskets and loosening stock flanges when I swap it out every 2 years.

Let me see if I still have those numbers handy for 2 years ago. I am curious if they changed again.

Here are my numbers before the new cat and new o2 sensor 2 years ago. where is says 2 years ago is now actually 4 years ago and where is says this time or today that was 2 years ago

17ga_063_u5vaf.jpgUploaded at ImageFra.me

Edited by msavides

So you are high on hydrocarbons which is running rich, oil blow by and/or dirty oil. Considering you changed the O2 and Cat and it dropped, I'll bet it was the O2 sensor. Next time, just put that one in, I'll bet it will pass (with clean oil) and leave it there. Might want to consider replacing the coolant temp sensor as well.

My 1995 had 23ppm and 35ppm respectively at idle and 2500 rpm, so they can run a lot cleaner than that. :shrug:

B

Well the old cat looks new I can't see any defects with the "HONEY COMB" so I'm considering putting the old cat back. And yes the oil was old and changed that. Also the fuel filter was super hard to blow throw so I replaced that.

My last post was for msavides.

The air filter could be part of the problem, but how did you bench test the O2 sensor? You really need to test it's range, and when in doubt, replace it. Again, since everything else is working correctly, running lean and/or hot must be the issue. Get a chance to look at a plug yet?

B

Haven't looked at the plugs yet :/ but I put it in a vise and used a digital multimeter and a propane torch. Should read close to 1 volt but got no where near 1volt so it's getting replaced. :) and I'm at the muffler shop getting flanges welded on the new cat. I'm replacing it after all atleast that will take it out if the question. And new plugs and wires are going on today. I also used some seafoam @!*% to break up the carbon in the engine yesterday. I honestly think it was my o2 sensor and fuel filter. Either way imma have a new truck once all said and done :) hope just hope I can out 4 wheel my buddies jeep.

First just pass smog, but yeah, it sounds like it is best to just swap everything out and be done with it, the smog tests aren't cheap and you don't want to be on the gross polluter list. It should run great now too! :D

I agree, the O2 and air filter are probably the biggest culprits at this point. As for outwheeling Jeeps, that is standard... ;)

B