Wobble in Front End

Karmann

I'm new to wrenching on these, but I've got the same type of shake in the front. Starts at 60 quits when you get close to 70. If you hit a bump at any speed you can feel it. (First time it happened thought there was going to be a quarter size hole in the seat when I got home!)

Since then have packet bearing, replaced cv shafts, & had it rotated & balanced a few times. So far nothing has helped it, but it was all things needing to be done anyway to get it back up shape.

Just bought a set of shocks & struts. Getting them put on today, and will see if it makes a difference. The ones that were on it were the factory set from 14yrs ago, with 165k on them.

It's just my two cents, but check your struts. Can't hurt.

Thank you, I'm interested in seeing if that helps. I replaced my struts last year and only have 30k on them, but it's possible.

Keep in mind the struts that are offered for our truck are not totally ment for off roading, unless you go will ranchero or others that are built for it. That's why I went with Monroe's, they have lifetime replacement warrenty.

I should pick mine up this afternoon & I'll let ya know.

Edited by TutorN1

Yes, I have KYB and they seem to be the best option for our rigs. No visible problems with them, and I even just had them out when installing my lift.

Looks like I'm going to be going with KYB myself.

I went to pick mine up, & turns out I either ordered the wrong set, or they gave me the wrong set.

I've got a full set for 96-99 of 11/98. I needed 99 of 12/98. So it will be awhile before I can say if they helped or not.

Thanks for the info on the Monroe shocks & struts. Truth be said they were my second choice anyways. Just was little cheaper, but had good reviews.

I priced the Gabriels, just couldn't find a lot of feedback on 'em.

Found a full set front and back of KYBs on Amazon for $190 with free shipping. Everything around here is running $100 +/- each for the 99-01. Then still have a day to two day wait.

I found most of the feedback about em on the diesel forums. Like anything else good and bad. But for my truck it was $60 for both rears and $80 for both fronts. Plus at Autozone they give you a limited lifetime warranty. So if one blows a seal etc then I can just swap it out locally.

Sent from my Moto X

Back on topic.

Karmann. Dont you have unlockable hubs? If so that should rule out CVs and the diff bushings.

If you don't. Then I would check your CV axles. Whats to say that creap of a mechanic didnt tighten em down or seat the hub and bearings right. Especially when he did the LCAs.

Sent from my Moto X

Back on topic.

Karmann. Dont you have unlockable hubs? If so that should rule out CVs and the diff bushings.

If you don't. Then I would check your CV axles. Whats to say that creap of a mechanic didnt tighten em down or seat the hub and bearings right. Especially when he did the LCAs.

Sent from my Moto X

Thank you, and correct I have the manual hubs. How would you suggest I check?

I was thinking along similar lines.

I'm guessing that you'd just disengage the hubs and check for the wobble doing whatever makes it wobble (specific mph, type of road, turning, braking...) and see if it's repeatable. Maybe that's not your question...sorry.

My thought last night when thinking about this, was regarding whether the bearings weren't seated when the bearing lock nut was put back on. There is a procedure that seats the outer bearing (torque it to a spec) and then back it off to practically 0 lb-ft (IIRC). A proper "bearing socket" can make that really easy. If you don't have one of those, I think Adv Auto (or the like) might have a kit you can borrow.

Edited by Rick13

I was thinking along similar lines.

I'm guessing that you'd just disengage the hubs and check for the wobble doing whatever makes it wobble (specific mph, type of road, turning, braking...) and see if it's repeatable. Maybe that's not your question...sorry.

My thought last night when thinking about this, was regarding whether the bearings weren't seated when the bearing lock nut was put back on. There is a procedure that seats the outer bearing (torque it to a spec) and then back it off to practically 0 lb-ft (IIRC). A proper "bearing socket" can make that really easy. If you don't have one of those, I think Adv Auto (or the like) might have a kit you can borrow.

Thank you, though this problem occurs with the hubs unlocked around 60. I suppose I should have made that more clear.

I'm putting in new bearings next week (myself) and seeing If that will fix the issue.

Regarding the half-shafts, I have not removed them, as my thinking is that since they aren't spinning with the hubs unlocked, then the issue shouldn't be them.

Thank you all for offering so much advice. :D

Correct. With your hubs unlocked your CVs wont be rotating at speed.

Which brings up fleurys' post.

did you try removing the front driveshaft ? if not do this while having unlocked hubs...

if it still does it, then it`s somewhere in your wheel bearings, wheels, or tires..

Correct. With your hubs unlocked your CVs wont be rotating at speed.

Which brings up fleurys' post.

So he's asking I remove the front driveshaft with the hubs unlocked? Isn't there another way to tell what's going on?

just keep your hubs unlocked so the half-shaft don't rotate.

After, remove the front drive-shaft.. It;s really just 8 bolts.. mark the parts to be able to reassemble the same way., then go do a test drive... if if fixed it, then you know it is the front ujoint or drive shaft balancing... at limit it could be a transfer case bearing for the front....

if it is still there, then you know it has something to do with your wheel, wheel bearings, tires....

After, remove the front drive-shaft.. It;s really just 8 bolts.. mark the parts to be able to reassemble the same way., then go do a test drive... if if fixed it, then you know it is the front ujoint or drive shaft balancing... at limit it could be a transfer case bearing for the front....

if it is still there, then you know it has something to do with your wheel, wheel bearings, tires....

Hmm thanks! Would a driveshaft cause issues over bumps specifically?

If it is doing it over bumps you have something loose...How old are your struts? I remember when one of my dads went bad, it would wobble like hell when you hit bumps and pot holes.

I've got to try this, but my knock is so sporadic that i can never tell what the heck it is...

Thanks for the tip... :aok:

-Kyle

If it is doing it over bumps you have something loose...How old are your struts? I remember when one of my dads went bad, it would wobble like hell when you hit bumps and pot holes.

It only does it over bumps or corners, basically any time the suspension cycles. My struts are about 27k old KYB GR-2s and about a year and a few months old, so I wouldn't suspect them...

That's barely 17k miles. Hmm.

Which strut bearing did you put in? Wonder if one cracked

Sent from my Moto X

I put in a new KYB one, and didn't replace the strut mount, but considering it's factory and has 100k it looked 100% ok.

That might be it, those KYB's have a reputation of failing...

-Kyle

EDIT: The mounts and bearings that is....

Right but it's only the strut bearing that I bought as KYB, the little plastic unit. The mounts are 100% nissan, and have no visible issues... I looked all over them top and bottom.