Do the hubs need to be removed to replace the CV Axle?

MrEviLDeD

Hello,

The two new CV Axles came in today and I was wondering after having looked around on youtube and such for pre-knowledge on the replacement. Most of the videos are for later year Xterras and such but all in all it seems to be consistent. They appear to remove the ball joint and allow the hub/brake assembly to lower and pull out the CV this way..

Is this possible with the Pathfinder? It would simplify the process a bit I think opposed to having to remove the hub assembly.

With that said, if not what size snap ring pliers would be needed? As well do I need a tool to remove the locking ring in the hub assembly as well? What would that be called exactly.

Also where do I pick up the snap ring and o ring I need to replace when I pull the Hubs off? Well better question, what are the proper names for the parts opposed to "o ring" and "snap ring" .

Edited by MrEviLDeD

to change a cv you need to take off the hubs, un snap the snap ring either using pliers or screwdrivers (screwdrivers takes talent!), unbolt the upper ball joint, and most likely the brake caliper so the hose doesn't get stretched. Inbetween that, im not sure. It's been a while since i've done cv's on a wd21. haha. my car50 was a lot easier. :)

You don't need to replace the snap rings, just re use the ones you take off. The o ring on the hub should stay with the hub when you pull it off, don't worry about that.

Snap ring pliers at CT will work for this job (i have the mastercraft ones)

• 1 month later...

to change a cv you need to take off the hubs, un snap the snap ring either using pliers or screwdrivers (screwdrivers takes talent!), unbolt the upper ball joint, and most likely the brake caliper so the hose doesn't get stretched. Inbetween that, im not sure. It's been a while since i've done cv's on a wd21. haha. my car50 was a lot easier. :)

using screwdrivers to remove the snapring takes talent? and i thought it was just because im broke hahaha

From napa I paid 5$ for 5pc snap ring pliers, came with 4 different heads, in my opinion they are worth it, saves you a bit of time and lots of unnessecary curses lol

I notched the ends of some needlenose pliers with a cutoff wheel in my Dremel knockoff. It wasn't the right tool by any stretch of the imagination but it got the job done. I found that a paint can opener helped a lot for pulling the ring along the shaft while the pliers held it open.

I was actually surprised at just how easy it was to do the wheel bearings and the CV axle. I am very glad I replaced the whole axle as it looks like a much larger job to replace the boots and the parts internally.

I ended up getting a channel lock tool for this and it made it a breeze. I think I expanded one of the rings though a little wide that I would like to replace it just to be safe but out side of that It was one of the more straight forward jobs I have had to do as so far.. Still putting off the fuel lines as the weather and just feels like it will be a huge pain in my rump roast.