Tune up gone bad/ HELP PLEASE

Nissanland

Help'......I'm not stupid, but I am very confused about the truck and how much longer I can be patient with it. I did a tune up last week end. Pulled the plug wire's and replace them with a good quality set, replaced the spark plugs and set at proper gap per manual.(.31-.35) almost every plug taken out were in the .70 range. Replaced the cap and rotor new. The old cap had a crack, and 3 of the wires were separated at the plug and just arcing across, then a oil,filter change. The problem I have with it is, the truck ran real good for the most part, I did the tune up and now it's sputtering and running really rough.. Makes no sense why it runs so much worse with new parts and proper gaping. Help me make sense of all this and what the H{¥ I'm not doing right. Thanks I hope.

Edited by Nissanland

What plugs did you use? Also what brand of wires did you use? Did they seat tight against the plugs? Also I would wiggle all the sensor connectors while its running to see if it makes a difference, You could have moved something by accident, or hit it with your elbow.

X3 on the plug wires, first thing to check. Second is to check any sensor connectors you might have disturbed, wiggle the MAF, TPS, coolant sensor connectors and anything else in plain view. Could you have disturbed a vacuum line or had one split or crumble from being moved? I like to check with WD-40...

Don't get frustrated, this one is probably pretty straight forward.

My truck has a poor connection at the TPS, a buddy had his die due to the coolant sensor, k9sar had issues with his MAF, etc...

replaced the spark plugs and set at proper gap per manual.(.31-.35) almost every plug taken out were in the .70 range.

Sorry, but I'm pretty sure you are talking about inch measurements and mean .031-.035" and .070"

B

The most likely vac line you would have disturbed if any, is the one for the fuel pressure regulator. If you look back where the number 6 plug wire goes, you'll see it. Mine fell off once and it ran funny.

the plug wires that go thru the manifold and the one that is all the way in the back can be hard to get on the plugs, when the engine is running can you hear what sounds like an arching noise?

If so than one of the wires is not on the plug and the spark is arching against metal.

Just got back from the doctor office and took a good look, wiggled the wires and lo and behold guess what I found? Haha ha haha silly me, know I should have been able to see it before I cried out for help...dummy ME! I found a simple little ground wire in front of the dist. Cap that was loosely hanging there next to block. Secured the wire good and tight and Walla no more problems. Idle is smooth and in gear is smooth. Now when it stops pouring down cat's and dogs, will test drive at speed and power. Thanks all for the quick response, I really appreciate the information given, it did help me out.and yes .031/.035 thanks for the hand slap..I know better than that. And the wires are Taylor ,9mm hi energy, shielded plug wire's, from summit racing. All plug wire's were good and tight.

Edited by Nissanland

Not a problem for you being particular on numbers back in my high school days, I was the winner of The Washington state vocational student of the year award for machinest. So yeah I know what you mean. The ground wire end had broke off, I just got a new one and bolted down, no more roughness...