Opinions Pls. Repair or buy another Pathy

mikestewart395

As some of you know, I took my Pathy swimming last weekend and fried the ECU. I went to Napa this morning for price check. $388+$78 core. That is beyond ridiculous. Ebay has the one I need for about $160. Add overnight to that, which brings me to the situation.

I am moving to a new house next weekend, it's about 30 min away. I was, of course, going to use my truck to pull a UHaul. I am unable to buy the ECU until next tues, which means I have tp overnight it. So $200 bucks total. While my Pathy is down I have had time to think. I can't really do what I want to it because it is sooo eat up with rust. I have used over a gallon of roofing tar underneath it, holes were so big my fist could go through them, exhaust made my wife spew on the way home when we bought it. So I did what I could to patch the holes underneath it. I custom paint cars, went to school for it when I was in my early 20's. It kills me that I can't spray what I want on it , once again, the rust is too extensive. Lack of a welder also limits most of the repairs I can do atm.

Buying this house and everything else has left me completely broke, not to mention I have to rebuild my business in the next 6 weeks. What I am thinking is instead of buying the ECU, use that money to rent a UHaul box truck to move. After I am moved then strip the truck of the wheels/brush guard/Rack/ and sell or scrap the remainder. As we all know Pathfinders are all over Craigslist for 1000-1200 and plenty of them. No rust on most. So maybe I can start again with a better foundation. I would just have to wait about 3 weeks to buy it. I have until tuesday to decide. I'm just wondering what you guys think.

sounds like you've answered your own question brother.

no amount of roofing tar fixes rust.

If you've got exhaust coming into the cabin that is dangerous.

as for getting rid of it well...what do you want to build? is it a DD as well as a wheeler? if its just a bush truck I'd keep it fix it and mod the Sh** out of it.

If you need it as a DD well, I might be inclined to find a younger truck in better condition.

I think you have come to the logical conclusion, time for a better one. I would be loathe to build up any vehicle that had serious rust issues...

I don't know the details, but hopefully not having the pathy running will not strand you. What I would do if possible is move, bring the pathy, strip it of everything (armrests to intakes), scrap it, sell what ever you can, store what you want to keep, find a good pathy to buy and build that one up with the parts.

Ciongrats on the new house, and good luck with the new business. Landscaping, no? Are you going to use the pathy to pull a trailer for that as well?

B

I think you have come to the logical conclusion, time for a better one. I would be loathe to build up any vehicle that had serious rust issues...

I don't know the details, but hopefully not having the pathy running will not strand you. What I would do if possible is move, bring the pathy, strip it of everything (armrests to intakes), scrap it, sell what ever you can, store what you want to keep, find a good pathy to buy and build that one up with the parts.

Ciongrats on the new house, and good luck with the new business. Landscaping, no? Are you going to use the pathy to pull a trailer for that as well?

B

Yep, Landsdcaping. Yea, it's going to pull the trailer as well. It is a DD, I have another car that I put the plates on only if the Pathy is down. I am attached to it, but I think you guys are right. It's time to move on to another, more sound Pathy. Only so much duct tape and roofing tar to go around. It will put off the business a couple a weeks buying another car, but I think it will be best in the long run.(..hears Taps in the background)

It's always sad to scrap a car, but yeah, you don't want to pull a trailer with something that's got fist-sized rust holes in it. Its parts will live on in another!

Speaking of which, make a part-out thread when you do take it apart. There's always somebody looking for an arm rest or a mirror or something.

• Like 1

I faced the same problem and made the same choice - get rid of the rusted frame Pathy and get one in better shape.

No sense investing further in a car with a frame that can't be repaired. Car has to have good bones.

My rusted Pathy just got me home through a blizzard last night and I love it, but we'll be parting ways next month when I pick up one that's in better shape.

The money I have to invest will go into the sounder vehicle.

• Like 1

If its just going to be a landscaping vehicle I say just screw some sheetmetal over the holes and cover it with seam sealer. Not pretty but it works, and cheap for a work truck. It's what I ended up doing to my old rig when I just used it for that kind of stuff in the end. Being in canada I have dealt with far worse rust.

How do holes in the body affect towing? Im not talking about frame patching here.

I thought the OP meant the frame had holes in it. Floor rust isn't as bad (but should be a red flag to look for more rot elsewhere). I drove around for few months with a kerosene can and some sheet metal screws covering a hole under the rear seat.

I used to own a landscape company back in my younger days. I think it's better to invest in a good sound wd pathfinder over the r50, you would have a frame to tow with not a unibody. Besides when you get to your customers you will represent your company in a positive manner. Besides the reliability you would get with a lower mileage unit. As for your current truck I would keep it for your play truck or a part truck. Congrats on the new house and good luck with the landscape company, toughline of work.

Buying this house and everything else has left me completely broke, not to mention I have to rebuild my business in the next 6 weeks. What I am thinking is instead of buying the ECU, use that money to rent a UHaul box truck to move. After I am moved then strip the truck of the wheels/brush guard/Rack/ and sell or scrap the remainder. As we all know Pathfinders are all over Craigslist for 1000-1200 and plenty of them. No rust on most. So maybe I can start again with a better foundation. I would just have to wait about 3 weeks to buy it. I have until tuesday to decide. I'm just wondering what you guys think.

This sounds like the best option, and was exactly what I was thinking. :laugh: Maybe look into a hardbody for your business? Then you could swap parts over as well, but now have a bed. Not sure how much you need the backseat.

Edited by Karmann