Did any R50s come with a front LSD?

jyeager

I have heard discussions of the optional rear LSD and how to identify it.

But haven't heard anything about the front. So I am going to assume that either the front diff is always an LSD if the rear is, or the front was never an LSD.

Which?

Thanks.

What year did the transfer case lock become standard?

I'd like to know that too, because i don't think Andy's 96' or my 96' have that...

i saw a thread on here recently where someone figured out how to put a Z31 300zx rear LSD into the front of his WD21, i wonder if our R50's have something similar, where another differential will fit up there... :shrug:

-Kyle

I'm pretty certain it's in all post-facelift R50s, and most likely the first R50 designs as well. It's automatic and unlisted, so that when you pull the 4x4 hi/low lever, the power is distributed to exactly 50/50, and no amount of slippage front or rear changes that. I believe I saw it listed as a standard item when all the enthusiast mags were reviewing the Pathfinder around '01. Some mentioned it, and said that it had a "creamy ride off road". :laugh:

I know some Toyotas have a "center diff lock" (same thing) but they have a separate button. Nissan chose to integrate it apparently.

Edited by Karmann

• 2 weeks later...

The '03 FSM lists the R50 as having the same R200A front diff that most Pathfinders came with, so unless the R200A changed its spline count between gens (like the rear diff did), I don't see why you couldn't put a ZX diff in an R50.

There are two transfer cases for the R50s, the TX10A (stick on the floor) and the ATX14A, which has a little knob on the dash. (I imagine this was a 'luxury' feature for the LE trim Pathy and the QX4. My dad's '03 has the manual case.) Neither transfer case includes a diff. The auto case has a wet clutch assembly inside, and when auto mode is engaged, it works as traction control, sending power to the front when the computer detects slip at the rear wheels. I'm pretty sure Subarus work similarly. Personally I like having a stick coming through the floor that's actually attached to something, but the auto feature is probably quite nice when driving on a dry road with patches of snow and ice on it.

I think the auto case is the main reason the R50s came with drive plates instead of locking hubs for the front wheels. If the auto case tries to send power to the front wheels, at speed, and the front diff isn't spinning, those clutches are gonna have a bad time.

IMO a locking center diff is a nicer design, but it would be heavier, more complex, and less efficient on the highway (more rotating mass, and probably no 2WD setting).

I read something from a guy who'd put a Lokka in the front of his rig (not a Nissan). He said it crawled quite well but the steering got weird. That's the upside to a selectable locker... turn it off and it works like stock.

The '03 FSM lists the R50 as having the same R200A front diff that most Pathfinders came with, so unless the R200A changed its spline count between gens (like the rear diff did), I don't see why you couldn't put a ZX diff in an R50.

There are two transfer cases for the R50s, the TX10A (stick on the floor) and the ATX14A, which has a little knob on the dash. (I imagine this was a 'luxury' feature for the LE trim Pathy and the QX4. My dad's '03 has the manual case.) Neither transfer case includes a diff. The auto case has a wet clutch assembly inside, and when auto mode is engaged, it works as traction control, sending power to the front when the computer detects slip at the rear wheels. I'm pretty sure Subarus work similarly. Personally I like having a stick coming through the floor that's actually attached to something, but the auto feature is probably quite nice when driving on a dry road with patches of snow and ice on it.

I think the auto case is the main reason the R50s came with drive plates instead of locking hubs for the front wheels. If the auto case tries to send power to the front wheels, at speed, and the front diff isn't spinning, those clutches are gonna have a bad time.

IMO a locking center diff is a nicer design, but it would be heavier, more complex, and less efficient on the highway (more rotating mass, and probably no 2WD setting).

I read something from a guy who'd put a Lokka in the front of his rig (not a Nissan). He said it crawled quite well but the steering got weird. That's the upside to a selectable locker... turn it off and it works like stock.

Hmmm now you have me thinking...

And I think they are equipped with a center locking diff, my only reason being it being mentioned in period articles, as well as the obvious "Don't use on dry pavement or above 55" warnings. Could be wrong though :shrug:

I don't know what you've read, but the diagrams in the service manual (pages TF-11 and TF-43 of the '03 FSM) show no diffs. It appears that some people say "locking center diff" and "transfer case" interchangeably, which isn't correct, but could easily have gotten into an article written by someone not familiar with 4x4 drivetrains.

A center diff splits power between the two axles. It can drive the front axle faster than the speed of the diff, so long as the rear axle is driven an equal measure slower. (Think of a sharp turn in a parking lot. The front axle goes farther than the rear, therefore the front diff is spinning more quickly than the rear.) A clutch type transfer case set to 'automatic' rigidly couples the rear axle to the transmission and kicks a little power to the front when the traction control tells it to. It can never drive the front axle faster than the rear, and in the parking lot scenario, it would cause torque bind if it kicked in. The front end has to coast.

Also, those warnings apply to pretty much any vehicle that can lock the front and back together, regardless of design. 4x4 = torque bind on dry pavement, and going 55+ on a surface loose or slick enough to require 4x4 is inadvisable in general.

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 1

I don't know what you've read, but the diagrams in the service manual (pages TF-11 and TF-43 of the '03 FSM) show no diffs. It appears that some people say "locking center diff" and "transfer case" interchangeably, which isn't correct, but could easily have gotten into an article written by someone not familiar with 4x4 drivetrains.

A center diff splits power between the two axles. It can drive the front axle faster than the speed of the diff, so long as the rear axle is driven an equal measure slower. (Think of a sharp turn in a parking lot. The front axle goes farther than the rear, therefore the front diff is spinning more quickly than the rear.) A clutch type transfer case set to 'automatic' rigidly couples the rear axle to the transmission and kicks a little power to the front when the traction control tells it to. It can never drive the front axle faster than the rear, and in the parking lot scenario, it would cause torque bind if it kicked in. The front end has to coast.

Also, those warnings apply to pretty much any vehicle that can lock the front and back together, regardless of design. 4x4 = torque bind on dry pavement, and going 55+ on a surface loose or slick enough to require 4x4 is inadvisable in general.

I think you're right, I'll still pretend it's a locker :laugh: But thank you for clearing that up, I was always curious. :happy: