That Damn bushing! WD21 front end help.

Thisoneguyinaz

Alright guys this one must take a special tool because we can't seem to get it out and it is the only thing that is stoping me from having a new front end on my old girl. And at 318,000+ miles she deserves it! Anyways it is the lower front a arm bushing. Here are some pics too.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

If that is the one that is in the frame, you can burn the rubber out with a torch, my old job they used to do that on stubborn leaf spring bushings, if you have to do it this way have an extinguisher close by and be careful of other lines.

You may be able to press it out using a large socket and a big C clamp, unless you can find a suitable press tool at the auto parts that rents them

something like this:

2akn4sh.jpg

We tried taking a 1/2 in piece of all thread with a socket the exact size of the bushing and a few thick washers on the other side to press it out with no luck. Hell we tried the half inch breaker bar until we couldn't put any more force on the allthread, and it didn't budge! I guess we're burnin that som bitch!

Well that looks like a "suitable tool" as the FSM shows: Even if you burn the rubber out you will still need to get the outer sleeve out, do you have access to an air hammer tool?

vi0bpc.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

Burn it out with a torch man, it'll be fast and easy. Put some tinfoil in the fender wells to act as a heat shield and have at it. Less than 5 minutes and a wire brush, the new ones are ready to go in.

I remember doing this on my 89 twice. I burned out the bushings and replaced them with poly. They started to squeak like hell and I pulled them again. I used some Aluminum based moly grease and they were fine after that up until the truck was totaled a couple years later. I don't know if I would put a poly bushing in there if I ever have to do this on my 92.

Use the factory 5 grease that comes with ES Bushings. That stuff is nasty sticky and lasts for years. Never had any squeaking issues with the factory 5. Still quiet years later.

Agreed, be super-generous with the grease and you should not have issues for a very long time.