Body lift opinions

Banjoman30

Like what hytekrednek said 3" is cheaper comes in a kit for 400$ at most with the extensions and such (correct me if I'm wrong) with 2" it's more uncommon (can't be that much more)... I have seen more 1 1/2" body lifts (on pathys and hbs) than i have 2". Personally I hate body lifts (up there with spacers and blocks :lol: ), it's handy for tire clearance without chopping the fenders and for looks... I have seen the 3" body lifts before and to me they look funny, you have a bigger frame to body gap.

Make sure 2" is good enough long term, if in doubt go 3" from the start otherwise you may end up spending and working twice.

Lift installation work is the same for two and three inch with some minor differences. You have to stretch the brake line coils further with the three on, but that is simple. With the 3" you may have to notch the floor for the transfer case shifter and work the steering shaft out further than with the 2" (some weld the the shaft, just in case). Or do like some others, including myself, have done and hit up wrecking yards for the TC lever and steering shaft from a Hardbody. Since they sit about 1.5" higher off the frame than pathfinders do, those two items are a little longer stock.

^exactly! The 2" lift is slightly easier, but most of the work is the same. Figure out what tires you want to run or the look you are looking for and go that way. I know you said 31", I am just reiterating. If you do the 2" lift, beware, some bolts might be too long and punch holes in the floor pan. I found this out the hard way and wrote it up in the thread posted in the Garage/How To section.

Just for reference, here is a WD21 with 1 2" body lift, 2+" suspension lift and 31" tires.

016.jpg

Someone else want to post up a 3"x3" lift with 31 or 33" tires?

B

I run 33x12.5x15 tires with 3+3.5" lift with auto and factory 4.625 gears. I do have a 3.3litre engine swap, headers and full exhaust but I get better mileage now than stock. Although it depends how I drive. If I'm hammering on it until 6k rpm then it burns a lot more than stock but if i granny it (like i usually do) then its around 19-20 mpg average.

Can't speak for just the lift and tires but with the mods I did over a relatively short period of time I noticed about a 3-4mpg drop.

* 3" Suspension

* 3" Body

* 33x10.5 MT's

* ARB Bullbar

* 12,000lb Winch

* Thule Roof Rack w/Extension

* Full Sized Spare on Roof Rack

* HiLift Jack on Rack

All that together equaled a combined average decrease in the 3-4 range. Of course that varies based on how and where I am driving, along with conditions. Oh and the average distance per weekday that was based on was 100 miles of combined city/highway driving.

But as always, your results may vary. ;)

Just for the record, the Pathfinder should be able to fit 31" tires stock (assuming correct width/backspacing range if the rim) is the suspension is not sagged and a 1" suspension lift to prevent a rub is easy, so a body lift should not be necessary.

B

That's what I was thinking.. Body lifts are a pain to do, a lot of work if you think about it, also the bumper relocation mounts (for 3" body) make your bumper next to useless, but yes there are ways to get around that issue.