LSD Swap

Bubbley11

How can I and what is the difficulty? I really would like one but if its better, I can just throw a ratcheting locker back there. But that eats rubber right?

Edited by Bubbley11

if you get a lock-rite or something of the same idea, it will only lock up when one tire begins to spin I.E. off road, or when cornering hard on the gas on pavement. other than that they're pretty tame from what i understand.

You'll know it's there around town, especially parking lots. How much rubber it eats is up to you. My KM2's have 30k on them and should last through next summer with proper rotation.

wd21 factory lsd is actually really capable. its somewhere around 270ft lbs breakaway torque.

factory r50 lsd is pretty weak though at around 90 ft lbs breakaway.

i just swapped over the whole rear axle from an SE model so I got the lsd and the rear disc brakes at the same time. easiest way to do it, really. if you can get a good deal on an axle anyways. mine only cost me 40$ for the whole assembly.

I was just wondering if I run to the JY and grab on out of another path, that I could just swap it out for my open diff. It should be a drop in right? I could probably get the diff for 20-30 bucks at PaP, if im lucky.

As far as I know, it would be a drop-in replacement. Make sure you get the same axle code (HG43 or HG46) though, I don't think you can upgrade to an HG46 if you have a HG43 axle - maybe on a 2WD Pathfinder, but then your speedometer would be off by a small amount I think.

hg46 will work if you have a hg43, just means your front diff will have 4.3:1 ratio and rear will be 4.6:1 ratio. will damage your transfercase if you 4 wheel on anything hard

I am pretty sure I wont mess up the gear ratio, as I would always pull one out of a manual(hg43) like mine is. If all else comes to fail, I know how to swap the gears.

i have a question when i have my wheel turned when moving i hear off and on rumbling sound and you can hear the rear tire grabbing. is this normal been going this since i got it in 09? im assuming this is the lsd

Edited by fearkobe

With ~51k on the fluid it's probably time to change. Lucas also isn't the greatest gear lube in the first place; it ranked the worst in Amsoil's independent gear lube tests; see page 19 of this whitepaper. Try finding some Mobil 1 75W-90 or Valvoline Synpower 75W-90; either one should have enough LS additive in them already. Change the front diff's fluid too and maybe the transfer case as well (usually it takes ATF but you can put 75W-90 in the transfer case, just don't mix the two; if you stick with ATF, use a synthetic fluid which claims to meet Dexron III specifications).

Edited by Towncivilian
  • Like 1