LSD Swap

Bubbley11

wut? :ph33r:

Often, gear oils will advertise that they are "LSD compatible" or "LSD fluid compatible".

This only means that the gear oil is supposed to be compatible with Limited Slip Differential additive.

This does not mean it's the only fluid your limited slip differential needs.

Often, gear oils will advertise that they are "LSD compatible" or "LSD fluid compatible".

This only means that the gear oil is supposed to be compatible with Limited Slip Differential additive.

This does not mean it's the only fluid your limited slip differential needs.

Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90 contains special friction modifiers designed for limited slip-type differentials. In most applications, the addition of special LS (limited slip) additives is not required. For axles requiring the highest level of limited-slip performance, OEM specific LS additives can be added to this fluid.

I doubt it's the limited slip. They don't rumble. And if you used non-LSD fluid, and it actually went bad, then it would turn in to an open diff. You probably have a bad ujoint in the driveshaft.

Best way to tell if your limited slip is locking up is take it to a parking lot with black top. turn the wheel to the left full lock, window down, and make a slow circle. If the LSD is locked up you'll hear the rear tire chirp every 1-2 seconds.

Well if you want to get really specific I know for a fact that when I used plain gear oil my LSD clattered. I had to use additive.

However, I never stated a specific gear oil and I was under the impression that we were not discussing a specific oil.

Edited by 92Path_68CJ

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry to bring this back out of the pit of forgotten posts.

LSD swap or Lock-Right? Anyone seen a No-Slip model for our rig's?

I still want to use it as a daily driver but need the traction that the stupid open diff won't provide.

If my truck were equipped with an open diff from the factory, it would already have a lockrite or ezlocker in it. If your truck came equipped with a LSD from the factory which is now failed, you'll need to find an open third member to install a locker.