Steering rack play?

Kyle94

So i've always had this "clunk" but it used to only be over HARD bumps. Now its over any bump in the road. and if i shut the car off and move the wheel back and forth (my sister helped on this part) i get a solid clunk up into the steering wheel. but i looked around and there is visually no "play" IN THE tie rod ends. and the steering rack itself doesn't "move" sounds like maybe the u joints in the steering shaft or the rack its self?? I really don't know what it is... Any one else experienced this??

Is someone turning while you check your rack bushings.<br />

^^^^ This.

Have your sister turn the wheel back and forth with the engine off. Put your hand on the driver side rubber insulator (located directly under the oil filter). It should not budge at all.

Yeah. It does this when it's turned off. With my sister turning the wheel back and forth. Yet with the truck running. Turning back and forth you have to do it vigorous to get the clunk. Otherwise you gotta drive it. I'll try putting my hand on the isolator youre referring to tomorrow. Since I'm at work til ten and won't have help that late...

Nothing seems to have any play though when my sister turns it...

When was the last time you had your struts serviced? The clunk could be the strut bearing being completely worn out, which will bind and eventually "clunk" when you turn the wheel quickly. You can probably feel it by placing your hand on top of the upper spring seat as an assistant turns the steering wheel back and forth.

Edited by XPLORx4

wtf? my steering shaft is LOOSE just before it meets and goes into the firewall! (engine bay side!) holy crap! i hope that i can just tighten it up? hope it doesnt fall off on my way to work. i don;t have time to try right now. getting ready to leave as i type! lol.

but wow... here's a video

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=575391529164646&set=vb.100000814125250&type=3

• Like 1

Busted rag joint most likely. Start inspecting the column where it connects at the firewall.

There are three bolts with nuts at the firewall to check. See if they are loose. Either was that doesnt look good!

Steering rack doesnt move visually. So im left to: Sway bar bushings, the inner part under the boot on the rack(?), or balljoint?

Now i've got it to the point its almost dying as well.... -_-

Had some more help and....... The PASSENGER side, the part under the steering rack boot (inner tie rod?) is clunking. but if you put pressure on it with your hand and someone shaking the wheel, it goes AWAY. but also the passenger side isolator is a little worn and moves just a tiny bit. but you can feel the clunk under the boot for sure.... :( so does this mean i have to replace the entire rack?

You probably just need to replace the inner tie rod end. Check rockauto.com for prices. It's not super difficult to swap out, but having some specialized tools makes the job much easier: an inner tie rod end tool and CV boot clamp pliers help immensely.

You don't need to buy a new boot/bellows. If the existing one is in good shape, you can reuse it. You have to cut off the clamp securing it to the steering rack in order to access the inner tie rod socket, then slide the bellows off the end of the tie rod. Then, you still need the pliers (or some similar kind of clamp-tightening tool) to re-secure the existing bellows to the steering rack. A new inner tie rod end will come with a new clamp as shown here.

Before removing the old inner tie rod, count the threads showing on the tie rod so that when you put the new one on, your alignment can be nearly spot-on.

• Like 3

Well, driving with the window down, the clunk is accompanied by a rattle, very faint one. and is MOST definatly coming from the drivers side. so the tie rod is not what i'm hearing but im sure its still worn... back to the drawing board... :(

Nah. It's from the front wheel. Along with the clunk. It won't make the same sound without driving it. Not even when jacked up. I woouldnt think the strut would make all that noise.