Pro comp shocks, questions

cvdloc

So hopefully later today I will be ordering these shocks (es1000 pro comp)

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits-Suspensions-Shocks/4-Pro-Comp-ES1000-Shocks-with-4-Black-Shock-Boots.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=90&t_pt=3306&t_pn=S%2FDShockingES1000

Reason being I went cheap is because next summer ill be doing a sas/4bt swap it's just currently my shocks are non exsistant, makes rock crawling and gravel roads I pain in the butt. Since this is my daily driver and I go out off roading 1-3 times a week new shocks are a good investment.

Now my questions are... Am I going too cheap? I'm not going to be using these for more than a year, the cost for me at north shore off road is 33$ a shock for the 1000's (42$ a shock for 3000's)

How are your experiences with pro comp? Reliable? Will I have retail value after with the 3000's but not with the 1000's? Or am I just wasting my money and I should wait/invest in the sas

Any opinion/advice is welcome, in the end I'm looking for a better on/off road ride until the swaps.

I have ES3000 on mine' and don't think I would ever even consider going below that. Although I don't know of anyone who has used the 1000 for the corners, they may be ok, just don't except much of a ride out of them. But given that they are, to my knowlege generally used as a steering damper I would think that they are more suited for that. Perhaps someone with experience using the 1000's at the corners will chime in.

Are all your shocks needing to be replaced, or just 1 or 2? If they are stock or the aftermarket equivalent, you might just consider grabbing used replacement of another truck, like from a wrecking yard or part out. Since yshould be able to get them for cheap that way, there is little pointers spending money on new shocks that you will be replacing in a year.

As for value in a year, the 1000 probably won't have any resale since most don't use them (again, afaik) And the 3000 won't likely have much. If they were higher end, then it might be worth it, but then that means your spending more now.

I ran some on my last pathy and they didnt last too long, if your going to be driving down gravel roads alot, they will just get work out fast. Ive been debating this same thing right now, Im going to SAS my path in prob a year and am thinging, do i want to drop that much in shocks i cant use later on, but I think i am going to pick up some shocks. A year is a long time and if they are really worn out, its only going to get worse and more wear and tear. Id prob just get a set of the 3000s to get you by till your SAS

Hey thanks for the reply guys (btw I'd be repla img all 4 shocks) so it's after work now I did a little research and found this on a jeep forum

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f238/pro-comp-es1000-771341/

Just reviews for the es1000 series and surprisingly mostly good (besides the one guy who said it would be a smoother ride if he just welded a steel bar in :lol: ) it seems like it's a good after market replacement for stock shocks.

The issue with pick n pulls out here is that parts (common parts to say the lease) are very hard to come by, as soon as they come in they are snatched up fairly quickly.

Yes a year is a long time, but also what will happen in that year? Will I even have money to do the swaps (I'm buying the engine first rebuilding then taking the hardbody off the road) that might not be until fall or winter of 2014 who knows? So maybe 3000's will be worth the extra 40-80$ I also do a lot of snowboarding (upwards to 30-50 times a year usually buy 2 season passes) another question for you guys...

How well do shocks help handling in the snow? (I am running mt's with the snow flake)

I'm going to do some research on the es3000's see what people say, ill go to the off road shop get a quote and look online as well. Thanks guys this info is making me think!!

ES3000 X3 I found them perfectly adequate, if not a bargin for the price. The rear was a little stiff empty, but that is as it should be if you ever load it up. They aren't much more...

Don't know if this helps you. :shrug:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/pro-comp-es3000-shocks/make/nissan/model/pathfinder/year/1995

B

... Just ordered the 3000's lol wasn't expecting that to be honest, end cost is 200$ with boots should be 2-3 weeks the price difference was 40$ between them so really... Like one famous rapper said.. Yolo.

Now I hope I didn't over charge, I see the link in persice1 they are roughly 40$ each with tax around the same.

I forgot to mention that the reason I jumped on the 3000's is they don't carry the 1000's it would be a special order no refund plus paid in full on order. With the 3000's they carry them, so I have the refund option (if any of you remember my 95 pathy special ordered mm hubs, truck got wreaked, hubs came a week later, sol) and I didn't have to pay in full ;)

Thanks guys honestly if I didn't post up I probably would have special ordered the 1000's and if anyone's interested in a year... 10$ a shock ;)

... Yeah just saw that now hmmm well I'm going with the excuse of my paranoia will kick in over drive since its an online order... I do live under 2 hour drive to their location in Washington, that's 60$ in gas there and back and look I'm alrighty saving 10$ in the positive, good day.. :lol:

Yeah would have been smarter... I remember 186$ for upgraded pro comps but that might have been for the 5000's I just assumed 3000's

... Now that I think, that might be us price...

Edited by cvdloc

Ok did some research and all prices on 4 wheel parts are in us but I would only be paying 10$ more since the exchange rate it 1.05 and I doubt they do free shipping to Canada... But they do have locations in Canada. Anyone have experiences with 4 wheel parts and free shipping in Canada?

Can't help you there but if your that close (furthest north store I know of is in lynnwood) then having it shipped to a UPS Store near the boarder might be better?

Should be on in Blaine... Well guess not, closest one I see is in Bellingham. Odd I would have figured they would have one in the boarder town Blaine, just for this sort of thing :shrug:

/>

Can't help you there but if your that close (furthest north store I know of is in lynnwood) then having it shipped to a UPS Store near the boarder might be better?

Should be on in Blaine... Well guess not, closest one I see is in Bellingham. Odd I would have figured they would have one in the boarder town Blaine, just for this sort of thing :shrug:

Hmm would be interested in looking into that, I might give them a call and ask a couple questions wouldn't hurt, might help me out in the future... They use to have a 4 wheel nation in the lower mainland but not too sure what happen to it (4 wheel parts bought out 4 wheel nation if you didn't know)

/>/>

Pro-comps for my experience are cheap and feel cheap, friend of mine had them on his durango, they were harsh over bumps, and yet somehow boaty on the freeway.

I'd get something different if i were in your shoes.

-Kyle

Then what would you recommend? Edited by cvdloc

Pro-comps for my experience are cheap and feel cheap, friend of mine had them on his durango

That's how I feel about Durangos!

I have the 3000's as well. Little firm on pavement, but like butter on dirt.

:lol: well whatever they end up being it will be an upgrade to whatever I have, soon ill be doing a ''members ride" thread, phase one is now beginning.. Nothing major just making it more off road worthy (torsion bar crank, rear tow hook, fixing and adding externals lights, etc) just thought i would introduce everyone to the hustler B)

image-25.jpg

Pro-comps for my experience are cheap and feel cheap, friend of mine had them on his durango, they were harsh over bumps, and yet somehow boaty on the freeway.

I'd get something different if i were in your shoes.

-Kyle

I think that has more to do with the Durango... ;)

B

Lol so whats funny is just by chance i swooped some procomp es1000s from my buddy this weekend (well at least rears, got some bilsteins from another chevy for the front) they were for the rear of his chevy pickup and fit just fine, I was just laughing cause when I first posted on here I had no idea about them and now, im rocking some new shocks on my pathy ha ha

So I ended up installing the shocks yesterday (rears only ill explain in a second) the rear shocks were no problem went in under 15 minutes, but when I hit the front I ran into issues...

The small issue was the bushings needed to be pre squished to install, what is your guys tricks when you did these? I was just thinking of using a vice clamp and squish them but if guys got anything better?

The next issue scares me a bit and I want to check with you guys first, but the look of this picture...

image-49.jpg

You can see that the old shock is much skinnier than the new pro comps so when these were in I noticed that it was just hitting the upper arm as you can see here...

image-48.jpg

image-50.jpg

I'm worried that when fully extended my upper arm will hit the shock and damage it, what did you guys do? I did just jack it up from the middle so the arms aren't supported they are just hanging maybe that's why? And it's a non issue. I just wanted to get some feed back before I install them so I don't end up damaging them... Here is a photo with the old shock in and it's clearance

image-51.jpg

And just to show off the new shocks in the rear, here is a little flex test that night ;)

image-52.jpg

Make sure the UCA hasn't moved back on the bushings. Had that problem on my last truck, being broke I just ground a little notch in the arm to clear the new shock instead of putting new bushings in.

Make sure the UCA hasn't moved back on the bushings. Had that problem on my last truck, being broke I just ground a little notch in the arm to clear the new shock instead of putting new bushings in.

Not sure what the UCA is or what it stands for if you don't find defining that for me :) I just wanted to make sure I was in the clear to grind/notch away

Maybe this is to do with the UCA, but I noticed my steering alignment is off... When one tire is straight the other is kicked in a notch, no idea how Long it's been like that or what could have caused it