Strut rod bushing

PATHRIDER

I use energy suspension poly....used for years with zero issues. Very cheap to replace and can use your discount at your local parts place. I would also recommend the energy suspension front sway bar kit as well.

I like Moog personally, I used them on my PF, Rock Auto shows two different part numbers one is listed as a problem solver not sure what makes it different but it is slightly more money. Think it is the one I used.

The two Moog part numbers are : K200163 for $9.13 and K9515 for $19.44

Thanks for the quick reply fellas.Im going to get both brand. I might as well replace the other set on my other pathy since after doing an inspection it looks to be dry rotting and off centered

Any tips on how to replace em? will the lower control arm get pushed down soon as I take those 2 16MM ( I think) bolts ? Probably need to soak them nuts and bolts with pb also

you need to use a wrench for the nut on the rear of the strut rod, can't get a socket in there, use a punch or screwdriver when re-installing the rod to line the holes up to the lower control arm.

Did you guys replaced your bushing because it was making that poping sound? Mine does and it was making that poping sound before then I replaced my lower and upper ball joint , re torqued those 2 nuts facing towards the front by the upper a arms and it went away for a month then Ive been driving my pathy on some rough pot hole infested road and that poping sound came back. I checked everything and the only thing I could think of now is the control rod bushing

I hear that poping noise before but didnt feel it under my foot but this time I did thats what led me to beleive my strut rod bushing is shot plus when I checked it itts off centered also

Yep, a 15/16 or 24 mm wrench and lots of muscle haha. I used the moog bushing kit as well. The one I got came with new washers as well as the sleeves.

for sure ..lols .. I can easily get those 2 nuts loose with a breaker bar but that 24MM nut I have not tried yet. I just tried to fit my wrench on there and the truck needs to be jacked up coz the wrench is hitting ground , once I get it jacked up higher just need some leg muscle to push the wrench away with my foot to loosen it :D

I appreciate all your input fellas and fior the quick reply

I replaced mine because they still looked stock, and I know from past experience with my old hardbody I used to own that those bushings don't last forever, so figured it would be good to replace them, I didn't have any noises though

IIRC there wasn't a lot of noise from mine (and the squeak I thought came from them turned out to be the sway bar). I did mine because they looked sketchy, and because I saw a lot of pictures of butchered ones on here where the rod was worn in half by the frame. Mine were a PITA to remove (rusted like everything else) and needed a couple of bearing cups welded to the frame in place of the destroyed stock cups, and the sleeves had worn through. IIRC there was a whole thread with a how-to and all.

Found it: :clickdalink:

Edited by Slartibartfast

Did you guys replaced your bushing because it was making that poping sound? Mine does and it was making that poping sound before then I replaced my lower and upper ball joint , re torqued those 2 nuts facing towards the front by the upper a arms and it went away for a month then Ive been driving my pathy on some rough pot hole infested road and that poping sound came back. I checked everything and the only thing I could think of now is the control rod bushing

I hear that poping noise before but didnt feel it under my foot but this time I did thats what led me to beleive my strut rod bushing is shot plus when I checked it itts off centered also

Nope, no noise at all. I just know that they take a beating (even worse abuse if you live in salt country) and it is impossible to check them without taking it all apart anyway. The bushings are cheap enough so I just plan to replace them periodically.

Any appropriate socket/breaker bar or wrench will work, they shouldn't be too bad.

Energy suspension poly through Steevo at Rugged Rocks...

B

Thanks again fellas and for that link Fast

B howve you been buddy? Hope all is well on your end

The poping noise isnt too loud but it bothers the heck out of me and now I hear squeeking noise. I hope that bushing is the culprit. I hear the poping when I hit consecutive bump but running over a single bump nothing..Ill soon find out after I replace the bushing. It shouldnt be so hard on mine coz looking at the rod end and threads where the big nut goes theres no rust but Ive been soaking it with pb just in case

Im going to have to get it a rugged rocks, I know its cheap enough but does he charge shipping or any discount for us? I can get a set of Moog or ES on the bay for $15 shipped