95 Nissan pathfinder transmission issue?

fearkobe

I have a 95 Nissan pathfinder and this happened to me and my sister we came to a stop and the pathfinder barely wanted to move and it seems like it was struggling to move. We turned it off and back on and drive off fine. Had the transmission fluid changed less then 6k miles ago and this problem happened before we had the fluid changed. But this problem seems to happen only after we come to a stop. I have almost 228k miles. Any suggestions? Thanks

What fluid was used? Was a full fluid exchange performed, or just a drain and foll? Had the transmission previously been serviced? Were there any issues being experienced with the transmission prior to the service?

I sold it to my brother inlaw said the transmission was starting to mess up but he just had the fluids changed before 200k miles and once he had it changed it was fine after that. When i got it i had the fluid changed. I put a Lucas transmission oil brand in there. It's just weird when we come to a stop and it barely wants to move and it s not the brakes getting stuck. Pretty much when it gets like this i just turn it of and start it back up and off i go.

What specifications does the Lucas fluid meet? What brand of filter did you use? Was the O-ring placed on the filter intake tube properly before insertion?

A transmission "flush" is nothing more than a complete fluid exchange utilizing the transmission cooler lines to drain the old fluid while fresh fluid is added. Sometimes shops will add some gorilla snot "cleaning" chemical, but this is not necessary.

If a transmission fails soon after a complete fluid exchange, the transmission was doomed anyway. Leaving a contaminated lubricant in a transmission will not help it live any longer.

That fluid should be okay.

Have you checked the transmission fluid level properly?

1. Drive around for 10 minutes in the city after the transmission is at operating temperature.
2. Park on a level surface and apply the parking brake.
3. With P selected, shift through every gear and return to P.
4. Pull the transmission dipstick with the engine idling, wipe it clean, reinsert it completely, and read the level. It must be within the notched area labeled "HOT". Check for fluid contamination after wiping on a paper towel.
R50ATdipstick.png
The fluid should be red, and not smell burnt.

I would suspect that it was probably not filled properly the first time. It needs to be filled when the transmission fluid at operating temperature and in park, otherwise it will be low.

I topped it off my sister took it out of town again coming back she went to the same stop and it didn't want to move again so she shut it off and drove of fine. She said and i notice to the temp gauge goes up to half or a little over. Could this be an electrical issue too. Thanks for the replies!

Now, understand I'm not sure of the cause or how to resolve, but I sometimes experience something similar, especially when offroading: What happens is the transmission basically isn't downshifting when it should. So your driving along there in 3rd or 4th gear and come to a stop, well the tranny is still in 3rd and that's why it won't hardly move. I don't know why it does this but atleast you know what it might be.

The trans is going into the failsafe mode because it thinks you're spinning the tires excessively. I would check the trans codes. In the garage section there is a link to the service manual that will tell you how.

Well the coolant looked watery and nothing is blocking the air in the radiator fins. My temp gauge reads only a 1/4 up on full temp. So tomorrow maybe I'm gonna have a thermo put in with new coolant.