Looking for a beater ..

devonianwalk

Guys, I'm looking for a trail rig that I can wheel with my buds without the "butt clenching" I get with Vajay. I found this little toy (posting because it is a Nippo).

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/3905898033.html

I'm thinking that it has to be light enough to pull with my 3.3L. My redneck buddies are searching like crazy for me on the local pickings. Currently, I am leaning towards a 76 CJ5 that one of my buds did a frame off rebuild on. I can pick it up for $800 to $1000. It has a pull hitch already mounted. No title and no doors (Exbrit is safe for the primer dibs! :) )Here's the link to his site ..

http://unleadedaddictions.yolasite.com/76-cj-5.php

My goal is to pay less for a beater than what I just payed for my lawn tractor. :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks bro, I'll be needing more primer soon no doubt :laugh: :laugh:

I'm curious, what causes the "butt clenching" in the Pathy? Do my door dings scare you more than they rightly should? :lol:

I'm curious, what causes the "butt clenching" in the Pathy?

I payed 21+k for mine ten years ago! To justify that kind of coin, I have to plan on driving mine for another decade or two. I just want to have the same "break it and forget it" fun my wheeling buds have. Think about it. If I were to take my lawnmower to the trails and get it stuck or broke, what would I have to worry about financially and justify the "fun"? :lol:

I like the idea of the Nissan as well. I'd have to get a car hauler/trailer if I go that route though. The Jeep has been sitting in his backyard for years and hasn't been driven since the rebuild. It needs a drive shaft and few parts that are all easy to find. I think I'm going to drag it home this weekend.

While the jeep might be more 'convenient' and has to be lighter than the Nissan, I can personally vouch for the D720. I drove that exact year and model for 10 years and it was the best vehicle I have ever owned. In 10 years it only left me stranded twice, once being an alternator and the other being a starter (I just push started it for a few days). I had it in water as deep as the hood and drove it to Cabo San Lucas, jumping it (repeatedly) in the desert while it was my DD. Absolutely great trucks, no other way to say it. The only thing that one has against it is that the windshield is gone and with the roof bent, it might not fit another.

Again, I understand if you get the Jeep (and have to work on it all the time) but I have a soft spot (and vote) for the Nissan...

B

Yeah, the fact it doesn't have a windshield keeps the option of making it legal to drive on the road a little more difficult. I do have a friend (one that owns the garage) that can obtain a title for the Jeep. I'd bet that Nissan would be a blast!

Don't do a 72-75 or earlier CJ5. Parts are harder to find.

How often you need parts/break parts comes down to the condition of the Jeep when you start and how hard you wheel.

I prefer the Pathfinder's longer wheelbase, AC, Powersteering and brakes.

Jeeps are nice, but take a certain type of person, especially old CJs.

• 2 weeks later...

Motors a 258 in that cj, and 76s are not the early models.

Me thinks it will see mud and lots of it.

My vote is for the cheapest pos you can find that runs and drives. Its a mud truck. Roll it as one.

Don't do a 72-75 or earlier CJ5. Parts are harder to find.

Motors a 258 in that cj, and 76s are not the early models.

Me thinks it will see mud and lots of it.

My vote is for the cheapest pos you can find that runs and drives. Its a mud truck. Roll it as one.

Didn't call it an early.

Now that International would be fun to cage out and hit the rocks.

It's looking like I'll be getting the Jeep. I'm waiting on my friend to call me back about the details. The CJ needs a custom rear drive shaft, water temp sensor (weeping a little), carb rebuild kit or a new carb, and two seats. I'm thinking it will at least need a bikini top to keep the sun/rain off of my beautiful head. Also, the front hitch went missing. I'll either have to have my skilled friend that offered to make the drive shaft fab a new one. I promise to post pics of the mighty R50 towing the CJ to the trails if this all goes through. ;)

Now that International would be fun to cage out and hit the rocks.

It's looking like I'll be getting the Jeep. I'm waiting on my friend to call me back about the details. The CJ needs a custom rear drive shaft, water temp sensor (weeping a little), carb rebuild kit or a new carb, and two seats. I'm thinking it will at least need a bikini top to keep the sun/rain off of my beautiful head. Also, the front hitch went missing. I'll either have to have my skilled friend that offered to make the drive shaft fab a new one. I promise to post pics of the mighty R50 towing the CJ to the trails if this all goes through. ;)

What are rocks?

Well, bought the Heep at a bargain price. I'm going to have my work cut out for me to get this thing running. I can't get over how simple this thing is after worrying about mud in my sensors and vacuum hoses on Vajay. When all is said and done, I'll have the same amount of money in my new lawn tractor as this old beater. I need make a sticker that says, "Don't laugh, my other 4x4 is a Pathfinder".

Trust me, I'm no Jeep fan. If there are 10 Rigs on a trail seven of them are Jeeps and they are less likely to wave at a group of trucks that don't include one. Personal experience of course.

^ Just like Harley riders, a 'superior and elite' group that are the most common and problematic. :shrug:

My last boss had a Jeep (what ever the little 2 door model is) on 33s but nothing special, other than the exhaust leak. He would brag about how it ran the Rubicon, but then would go into great detail about how he broke his steering box, was stuck on the trail for 2 days, needed a lot of help getting it out of the way and had to borrow a motorcycle to drive into town to get parts. My response was "So, you didn't make it...".

Not a Jeep hater and that design has some advantages, not to mention crazy aftermarket support, but from an engineering, durability and reliability stand point they aren't as good as people think.

Just like Harleys... ;)

B