Looking for a beater ..

devonianwalk

Here is the way I brought it home. The body was removed from the frame so that all rust issues could be taken care of. The frame was painted while the body was coated top and bottom with spray on bedliner. All of the bolts were replaced with new ones when he put it back together. The motor was good so my buddy just replaced all the gaskets while it was out. The Heep sat under a tree for three years or so which is why he called it his "weather experiment".

My list of "to do's" is short. So far I've pressure washed it and removed a squirrel nest from under the hood. I've also removed an impressive amount of spiders (from writing spiders to a jar top sized wolf spider) and put air in the tires so that I can pull it around the yard. My mechanic buddy took the single barrel carb to work with him and got it sorted for me. I've removed the gas tank and blew the varnished fuel out of the lines only to discover the tank is rusted through and needs replaced. I just have to get an extended brake line for the rear drums and a lengthened rear drive shaft.

407252946.jpg

407252947.jpg

I discovered a bikini top (not the kind I'd like to discover eyebrows.gif ) under all the pine needles and leaves which is all I need to keep my head out of the sun/rain on our wheeling/camping trips. I'm planning on lockers for the front and rear axles to get me up the steep stuff at Uwharrie so I can actually hang with my friends. I've already got some 10" wide wheels. I just need to find a bargain on something that'll mount to them.

Edited by devonianwalk

Shipping would probably be more than what I want to put into this rig. I still need a name for this new toy. My non-Nissan wheeling buddies named my Pathfinder "La Blanca Vajay Jay". I would like to come up with a Jeep demeaning monomer. I would love for my Nippo brethren to help me with this one. On second thought, these are the same friends that dubbed my kayak "Rubbermaid" so, I'm sure they will demean this one as well as I now own it. :lol:

Trust me, I'm no Jeep fan. If there are 10 Rigs on a trail seven of them are Jeeps and they are less likely to wave at a group of trucks that don't include one. Personal experience of course.

You need to find some old time Jeepers. Those are the real Jeeps. Don't bother talking to those new rigs...

Pretty much, I've met a ton of old school Jeepers that have no problem giving credit to anything that deserves it and helping out when they can. The new guys are the douchebags with sticks up their asses. Especially one guy in a newer Rubicon that I outwheeled by far in my Pathfinder.

Good luck man. Its got potential for sure! Nice thing about them is they're so small and nimble you can run quad trails and get away with it.

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

Pretty much, I've met a ton of old school Jeepers that have no problem giving credit to anything that deserves it and helping out when they can. The new guys are the douchebags with sticks up their asses. Especially one guy in a newer Rubicon that I outwheeled by far in my Pathfinder.

Good luck man. Its got potential for sure! Nice thing about them is they're so small and nimble you can run quad trails and get away with it.

I guess it helps that I started in Pathies too!

Good luck on that Jeep! I hope to see the progress on it!

/>

Good luck. If had to do a trail rig only I'd go with a Jeep too. Definitely a lot more aftermarket parts and better prices too.

Man, no kidding! I've already received the first of many packages this morning at work. I can't wait to get home and start replacing parts.

They haven't been made for 40 years...

I mean its not like I can go out and find a full pump for my impala at the local pick you crap.

IDK a lot about the little jeeps. But I belive you could find a local shaft builder. I mean I have one a mile from my house. But I suspose I'm just lucky.

6" lift. I've been told to source a CJ7 rear shaft. One thing I'm quickly finding out is these things are as scarce as a Miata in the local scrapper.

Sorry, I knew it had a lift, I meant like different axles, trannys, etc. I didn't know 6" lift needed a new drive shaft. So it is a solid one piece with no slip joint or mating spline, or the distance is just too great?

B

Don't know about joining Jeep forums. I'll just lurk as I'm not interested in the Honda's of the off-road. As long as I can get this POS around the trails I'll be happy. To me, this is a disposable 4x4. :shrug:

Ouch.

Okay, that came off a little harsh. The only reason I bought this thing is that it was a frame off rebuild that went stagnant several years ago. My buddy had this in his backyard and had to get rid of it quickly due to moving out of state. I had expressed interest in it back when he was actively working on it but, never really thought about buying it. He was originally asking $3,200 for it but he gave me the desperate "family and friends" discount. I paid $1000 cash and have about $400 in parts (seat covers, etc) in the mail. I know that when I get this thing fired up I could sell it for 3x the money I have in it. I'm about to part with the tires on my Pathfinder so that I can get some larger MT or AT's. I'll probably end up liking the Jeep .. but I'll never admit it here!!! ;)

*edit ..

I just noticed your sig. You have a '68? Now I get the "vibe" from your post. :lol:

Edited by devonianwalk