VG35DE Swap?

enkrypt3d

Do you mean VQ35DE? A VG35DE doesn't exist as far as I know.

The VQ35DE is a very tight fit in an R50 engine bay as it is, I don't think there will be enough room in a WD21 for it.

Edited by Towncivilian

It never came on a VG30. You are looking to get one off a VG33ER. 01-04 Frontiers and 02-04 Xterras.

It is by no means a simple bolt on and go mod.

Sure it is! (looks that way so far...)

Grab the entire VG33ER accessories and all.

I am still working on this but It should look something like this...

you use the pathfinder accessory rail for the AC and alty but you use the ER compressor pulley on the pathfinder compressor.

You chop the alty mount back a bit or splice in the lower half of the ER accessory rail to get the offset right.

then you run all the ER pulleys belts and steering pump and Coolant pipe.

the alternative is to swap everything VG33ER and retro fit the A/C hoses somehow because the O-rings are a different size.

I think he means to swap the whole 3.3 plus accessories in? If that's the case, then yes it will be fairly straightforward. You still need to swap ecus and will most likely have to swap harnesses too unless u want to repin, rewire and reloom the harness with whatever new wires u have to add for the supercharger setup

I think this scenario is one of those 'doesn't look too bad on paper' that turns out to be a bit more involved than anticipated. One issue is where does the supercharger reside? Not like there is a lot of extra room under the hood of a pathy...

B

I think he means to swap the whole 3.3 plus accessories in? If that's the case, then yes it will be fairly straightforward. You still need to swap ecus and will most likely have to swap harnesses too unless u want to repin, rewire and reloom the harness with whatever new wires u have to add for the supercharger setup

WHat is all this Swap ECU and Wire harness bullcrap? First off all the 3.3 ecu's are CRAP too much codes for things the pathfinder doesn't have. (evap canister sensors, pre-cat o2 sensors, vapor pressure sensors... the list goes on)

There are hundreds of Turbo swaps that happen on stock N/A ECU's all the time. And Hundreds more that only run romulators or moded ECU's AN ECU IS NOT TIED TO A SPECIFIC ENGINE.

If it runs a V6 with fixed cams then it runs a v6 with fixed cams.

There is no reason why a stock vg30 ecu cannot handle a stock 3.3 or stock 3.3ER. When you decide to turn up the boost get nistune or JWT or An LC1 wideband tuner so you can keep yourself in the safe zone!

I think this scenario is one of those 'doesn't look too bad on paper' that turns out to be a bit more involved than anticipated. One issue is where does the supercharger reside? Not like there is a lot of extra room under the hood of a pathy...

B

True, the blower is ~2 inches taller. the biggest issue is the snout, the hood slopes down but the snout with the pulley does not.

If it fits in a Xterra, I can't imagine you would have to modify the hood that much. For the cool factor, it'd be worth it.

the X engine sits about 3" lower in the engine bay

The xterra hood is raised in the middle.

There are 2 hoods for the X and fronty and yes the SC ones are raised.

Just happens, certain year HB hoods are also a little raised in the center.

Yea I guess the question becomes is it worth it to do a VG33 swap? Unless I add the SC then the $ to HP ratio wouldn't really be worth it.

I noticed that the hood weighs about 20+ lbs so in an effort to get more power & mpg (I'm getting ~12mpg now), what can be done? Headers & exhaust would be a good start right? And every component on this truck really doesn't seem to consider weight savings... the brake rotors feel like they are 50 lbs each. .anyways there isnt much room for weight reduction (on a 5k lb truck) there should be some room for improvement HP wise or weight wise w/o breaking the bank?

Curb weight of the pathfinder sits around 4k lbs. a little more for the 4dr a little less for the 2 dr.
If its any consolation to ya my 3.3 got me 18 mpg on its best tank pulling a 4k lb trailer from Tacoma, WA to the Mojave Desert, CA

Your right, It really does come down to what its worth to you.
I had about $2k wrapped up into my build and install and I'd say it was the most bang for buck power mod I Have ever done to my truck.
Better than headers, better than intake job, better than exhaust, better than K&N and better than Sequential fuel injection. (Of course all the above contribute to a higher final outcome as well)

12mpg might indicate a problem, depending on how you drive. I get 15-16mpg out of mine (city driving, but not much traffic out here) and 19 highway. You might check your vac lines/MAF/etc.

And yeah, these are heavy SOBs. The only lightening mod I've seen involved a sawzall and wouldn't have worked out too well in the winter.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sure it is! (looks that way so far...)

Grab the entire VG33ER accessories and all.

I am still working on this but It should look something like this...

you use the pathfinder accessory rail for the AC and alty but you use the ER compressor pulley on the pathfinder compressor.

You chop the alty mount back a bit or splice in the lower half of the ER accessory rail to get the offset right.

then you run all the ER pulleys belts and steering pump and Coolant pipe.

the alternative is to swap everything VG33ER and retro fit the A/C hoses somehow because the O-rings are a different size.

Now I must correct myself because I overlooked a detail that simplifies things; the vg33er alty runs on its own belt in the same position as the 3.0 and the VG33ER water pump and PS pump share a belt.

So it REALLY goes like this to swap into a WD21

w/d22 vg33e or vg33er PS pump on 3.3 PS mount bracket, water pump, lower coolant pipe and lower radiator hose. (the water pump is offset different to align the pulley with the PS pump on the 3.3)

VG33ER Tensioner pulleys for SC and PS Pump

VG30 alty/compressor mounts (unmodified), VG30 AC compressor with VG33er compressor pulley (NA pulley does not have enough ribs) and alternator (pathy quest maxima etc whatever you are running) with the 3.3 ribbed pulley

Run stock SC A/C belt and stock water PS belt for the ER. Run whatever length alty belt depending on the size of tensioner bracket you used (to fit whatever atly you have)