Pusher Fan Plans

Hey guys,

Decided that I don't want to go full E-fan. I like the simplicity and reliability of the mechanical fan. However, the AC sucks!!!! when your stopped or running in 4-low.

Most OEM truck applications are mechanical fan - E-fan assist and I put ALOT of faith in the reliability of OEM design and applications.

They do things the way they do for a reason...
New Nissan Frontiers/Xterras/Pathfinders/Titans/QX56/Armada are all this way. basically all the 4runners and other things in the JY are too.... You can hear a Titan or Armada idling clear across the parking lot for the that damn little aux fan. Its too big btw, over 5" deep. I almost bought one.

So I'm experimenting with 10" pusher E-Fans. 2.5" inch deep. Not a ton of room behind the 94-95 grill, much more behind the earlier ones...

Looks like basically everyone lies online, but even though all the fans say over 1000CFM for a 10"...if you look at amp draw, they all pull 7amps and all push about 650CFM.

$20 on Amazon. Not bad...

http://www.amazon.com/PROCOMP-INCH-ELECTRIC-COOLER-RADIATOR/dp/B004LOIKVM/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1368070478&sr=1-5&keywords=Electric+Fan+10%22

41wH2LY47uL.jpg

Basically, I can hook this up with a relay off the AC unit for almost nothing and with little downtime. I already blew up 2 autozone cheapy fan controllers when trying a taurus fan - so I have no interest in one of those. I also have a Tranny cooler, but I will simply put the fan on the other side...

here are some mock ups in the Junk yard using 2 pathfinders, and a Honda Passport(Isuzu Rodeo) fan.

Clearance:

IMG_20130503_173731_zps7286200a.jpg

IMG_20130503_173745_zps0f9f222e.jpg

IMG_20130503_173940_zps36abfdfc.jpg

IMG_20130503_174030_zpsd7794907.jpg

The doner fan. Late model Honda Passport. The screws were too rusted so I just broke the shroud. Im terrible I know.

IMG_20130503_175633_zps7d383d0e.jpg

IMG_20130503_175440_zps8d00ed80.jpg

IMG_20130503_175426_zps571a8864.jpg

Land Rover fans - a little thinner:

IMG_20130503_175836_zps7249dd31.jpg

IMG_20130503_175843_zps55d6069b.jpg

Edited by Inyourface1650

I'm interested in doing this as well. Let us know what you end up going with and how you hook it up.

Apparently the 1st gen xterra has one too so that could be an option.

Edited by adamzan

Update on this: tried the Land Rover fans. They fit on both sides and cleared the bumper (barely). HOWEVER the grill is not even close.

I ended up cutting up a grill and got it to somewhat fit, but with alot of pressure on the fan(condensor). If you cut out the entire center section of the grill and put in some mesh I think it will work.

More pictures here in a bit...

Ok so heres some pictures.

here are two fans from a Land Rover Discovery sitting between the condenser and bumper. They actually can sit lower too...

IMG_20130511_134824_zpscf5e3a31.jpg

Fans are ~2 inches thick.

IMG_20130511_135307_zps5297ef63.jpg

here the clearence between the stock grill and condensor, NO FANs.

IMG_20130511_140356_zpsb4ad55bd.jpg

See the Problem?

Not enough clearance between the GRILL and the Condesor to fit the fans. Here is me attempting to put the grill on with the fans inserted..

IMG_20130511_135703_zpsb6312fde.jpgIMG_20130511_135656_zpsba7e0463.jpg

So I did some trimming...

IMG_20130511_141555_zps57633df4.jpg

and NOW am able to get it to fit. Barely. Its wedged in there:

IMG_20130511_141531_zps134e9cbd.jpg

IMG_20130511_141519_zpscc0e6179.jpg

However the grill is bulging a bit against the fans.

I tried a 1988 grill in hopes that it work better, but same exact problem: the Plastic on the grill is too "deep"

IMG_20130511_142018_zpsb845bcd4.jpg

so I think this is definitely still doable. You'd have to just cut out the entire "Grill" part and replace with some nice Mesh.

Is it really close? You may be able to take a grinder and skim down the plastic a bit on the shroud of the e-fan and have it snug down (if its close enough). I have had to do that before when I put a massive mopar e-fan in my 240sx.

If you eliminate the OEM grille clips on the top and use the inserts like a license plate screws into you could put a spacer between the insert and the grille, I did that on my PF with the grille with the lights in it, without the small spacers the back of the pass. side light will not clear the AC drier, than you just use screws instead of the grille clips.

these are the clips I am using:

34y7el3.jpg

If you eliminate the OEM grille clips on the top and use the inserts like a license plate screws into you could put a spacer between the insert and the grille, I did that on my PF with the grille with the lights in it, without the small spacers the back of the pass. side light will not clear the AC drier, than you just use screws instead of the grille clips.

these are the clips I am using:

34y7el3.jpg

Sorry my friend, I am not picturing what your saying. Are you talking about inserting the clips into the body and then screwing the grill to it? I would see you get that added lip worth of distance...right idea?

Is it really close? You may be able to take a grinder and skim down the plastic a bit on the shroud of the e-fan and have it snug down (if its close enough). I have had to do that before when I put a massive mopar e-fan in my 240sx.

Precisely. with the 1992-on grill this is doable as there is no mesh backing. The other option I am thinking is just cutting out the middle entirely and replacing it with mesh. This would add some additional airflow as well - though I have plenty since I cut open the front of my bumper.

I lived in Phoenix, AZ for 20 years...cooling is everything! lol

Yes, that is what I was saying, insert the clips into the rectangle holes, and than use a spacer between the clip and the grille, I am using two 1/4" rubber faucet washers as spacers on each screw.

I went with a maxima fan set up and it fit the rad almost perfect, low speed set up with a temp sensor, high speed set to a manual switch. it's been in for almost a year and no probs

We pulled the baker grade last summer, tranny went to 220 engine was 210, the rad is about 2 years old.

For those not knowing the baker grade it can be googled, its about a 18 mile grade

I went with a maxima fan set up and it fit the rad almost perfect, low speed set up with a temp sensor, high speed set to a manual switch. it's been in for almost a year and no probs

We pulled the baker grade last summer, tranny went to 220 engine was 210, the rad is about 2 years old.

For those not knowing the baker grade it can be googled, its about a 18 mile grade

Did you set it up as a pusher or puller?

Pictures?

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have pics or a how to on the taurus fans on a pathy? My dad did his about half a year ago on his dodge ram v9 and I really like the setup it has.