Spare tire inside or out?

enkrypt3d

What differentiates the models that have the spare inside the rear of the pathy vs mounted on the back? I drove a 95 that had it inside and mine is mounted on the back...... any preference or advantages of either?

it's all personal in my opinion. I've relocated an internal mount to external. The inside one while always free of the elements took up cargo area (though I still have the mounting bracket installed) and took up some window real estate I could pass on. The external sucks now and then if you don't plan ahead in a parking lot and want to open the whole hatch but the vision blockage is minimum and you got a rack you can mount all kinds of carp to!

Agreed with Nunya. Found one that had an interior rack and IMO it looks stupid. Too much space taken up, etc. The rack on the back is nice for many things. I've got a jerry can that I'll be installing on it this summer, and if the $$ comes through, maybe I'll have a HAM radio antenna mounted to it as well.

yea i dont mind having the tire on the back but with the loss of cargo space it is a plus to have it on the back...... But also the limited viability in the rear view mirror is a down side. I noticed that w/o the tire on the back it looks almost like an older jeep cherokee... of course if you make a trip to Costco, be sure to park in the right direction for loading & unloading hah

I always prefer an exterior rack to inside or underneath. Some people complain about having to operate the swing away carrier, but really? Is it hard to walk over to the vehicle as well? :rolleyes:

As for loss of visibility, unless you have huge tires, you really don't lose much usable vision, and who the hell looks back anyway? You are supposed to drive forward and look that way as well... ;)

B

• Like 1

My 94 is without the exterior rack.

I can't decide if i want to go for a roofrack that could hold the spare, or try to find a exterior rack for the back of the car.

Do you think it would be any problems installing a exterior rack on a car that originaly came without one?

The 3 problems with the roof rack is the wind resistance might cause worse gas mileage, having to lift the tire up and down and the significant increase of center of gravity.

It has been done, but I understand it can be challenging to get the reinforcement plates in place. Nunya is the one to ask about it...

B

been done a couple times on here (I don't remember if there is a write up or not, but I am one of those who has done it). If yo udo you will need the internal bracing either by cutting it out of a doner or 4x4parts.com at least used to sell a kit with the bracing. Having gone the 'donor' route and IIRC adamzan talking about using the 4x4parts kit, I would go with the kit....

You are going to have to do some surgery if you want to install a tire carrier on a non-equipped model. There is a bracket that goes inside and that doesn't go until you cut away some metal. If your truck never came with a tire carrier, it's probably better to just not use one unless you are good with cutting sheet metal or know someone.

That being said, the exterior one is much better because it allows you to use a full-size spare. It's a great idea if you have a Limited Slip Differential because you don't need to put a big tire from the front on the back first in case you ever get a flat on the back. Other than the fact that the interior carriers are a bit goofy and can take up valuable space. Though if you really wanted to, you can have 2 spare tires. One inside the gap by the window and one on the carrier. :lol:

You are going to have to do some surgery if you want to install a tire carrier on a non-equipped model. There is a bracket that goes inside and that doesn't go until you cut away some metal. If your truck never came with a tire carrier, it's probably better to just not use one unless you are good with cutting sheet metal or know someone.

:

It's not THAT bad, just requires patience (and I'm not a metal fab guy so that skill ain't exactly required either, just some imagination) and a little dissection of the brackets to get them in.

I think MY1PATH was in the process of trying to flip a factory carrier onto the left side, I don't remember how involved at the moment though he got in that project (or if he ever even completed it)

As B stated, I have done it PERSONALLY, and adamzan has done it and if you go that route feel free to ask away at me any questions and adamzan is a good helpful member as well and would be able to lend guidance. Oterwise an aftermarket/home made bumper with a carrier integrated is an optional path and there are companies that make carriers that mount into reciver hitches as well.

I did my 87 but it's been 15 or 16 years since I did it, I remember there were dimples in the sheet metal for the latch and the other

bracket and the nuts were installed already just be careful drilling the holes, the hinge plates I think I was able to get 1 from the donor pathy and the other was mounted solid

I didn't think the aerodynamics on a WD21 could get much worse but a front-mounted spare might just do the trick.

Personally I like having the carrier so I can fit more junk in the back. The rattling gets old but I imagine working around a tire would get old, too.

I didn't think the aerodynamics on a WD21 could get much worse but a front-mounted spare might just do the trick.

Good point! :lol:

I suppose you could tie streamers or a parachute to it...

Rattling can be cured with new bushings and proper latch tension. Both my WD21s had no such issue at all.

B

How many people do you know have a receiver up front?

Other than being fugly, I could see it limiting vision and blocking airflow to the radiator. :shrug:

B

Hey just trying to think outside the box. :hide: Besides a receiver up front could be incredibly useful and I have see some people who SASed who put one in front.

http://nissannut.com/projects/sas/

As far as aerodynamics its like a really really blunt edge vs a brick.

:sly:

But your probably right about the radiator.