tailgate supports failing

Eric

Well after lifting the tailgate to load/unload stuff and having it drop down on my head a couple of times. I think it's time to replace the supports. I am talking about the shock like supports on the very edge of the opening near the top. Does anyone know where to get these things, hopefully generic ones. There pretty skinny so I think will make it harder to find replacements.

I was just at Pep Boys today and happened to look at the gas struts for mine(doing the same thing). I didn't get to look much( i was on company time), but the prices ranged from about $15 to $25. Hope this helps :)

I got them at NAPA for 29.99 each, part number 819-5466. It took 10-15 minutes to install both of them. The bolts that they use though are a little soft and I rounded one of the bolts off a bit.

When I looked at Pep Boys, they did not carry the right size for the Pathfinder.  Maybe it was just my local store. Good luck

Well, I really didn't have time to look at the sizes at Pep boys. I just looked at the price ranges on them. I will probably run into the same problem of them not having what I need(thats just my kind of luck) <_< .

Your lucky day. I was just at the local pick-n-pull today and found and 89 Pathfinder mostly stripped. The one good thing I pulled off it was the support struts for the rear hatch (not the rear window) for 20 bucks. I'll translate that directly over to you plus shipping if you want, no additional cost. I recently replaced mine, but though an extra set might be a good thing to have. Let me know if you are interested. I am located in the bay area (Vallejo) and they weigh maybe a few pounds.

M.M.

• 3 years later...
Guest SuperSon

Thats one thing I wouldnt buy at the junkyard. Learned my lesson few years back when I bought a used one.It worked fine when I was checking it at the jy but after I installed the darn thing went TU a few days later. my old one worked better than the one I just paid $10 for.

Its just one of those things in our pathy that has to be replaced with a new one better than having a mean bump on your head or even worst

Guest SuperSon
NAPA has some replacements for 12 bucks each.

Lowest price at napa is 24 each made by vulcan (napa brand I guess)Which napa did you find that price