Fluid leak...someone help!

I tried searching topics but I'm really not sure what this is so I can't be sure if I found the solution. I'm still new to working on my Pathy so I'm not quite sure what fluid this is. If this has been talked about before please just post the link and I'll head there...thanks!

So anyways...until I can start spending money on the more desirable mods I'm doing the free little things here and there to get to the look I want. This includes removing the side steps from the old girl. When I got to the Passenger side I noticed what at first looked like a muddy build up on the center connection point only to realize that it was a combo of dirt and some fluid from the vehicle...and this was a nasty build up. I cleaned things up and removed the panel right there to clean the wire bundle and the panel as well. Had to go for a little drive last night and checked first thing this morning to find some new fluid. This concerns me for several reason...fluid leaks are never good, it seems to be right on this wire bundle of connections, and I'm trying to prep the Pathy for the LOOONNNG drive ahead of us! My pics aren't loading up for some reason so I'll post some links that will hopefully take you to them. Please let me know what you think...thanks everyone!

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/JARisser/Leak3.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/JARisser/Leak2.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/JARisser/Leak4.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/JARisser/Leak.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/JARisser/Leak1.jpg

That fluid looks red colored based on the last picture.

Is the power steering fluid level within range? How about the transmission fluid? If your Pathfinder is 4WD, check the transfer case fluid level as well.

After reading posts on fluids I was honestly about to PM you but figured I'd post this incase it happens to someone else.

I checked Power Steering right away from the color as well and at cold temps it was good. I forgot to check the Transmission Fluid while checking other things. I do have 4WD but haven't used it in a while. Could it still be leaking if its the transfer case? I'll have to check that as well when I get home.

That's a weird place to have oily residue. The transfer case is nowhere near the passenger "frame rail", and if you don't see any fluid leaking from the transfer case, you should check elsewhere. I would check the hard lines (brake fluid and fuel) that run along that side of the chassis, and also check the transmission cooler lines to the radiator.

Edited by XPLORx4

XPLOR i think you're onto something and I have a feeling it's one of the hard lines on that side. There is no fuel smell and as TownC said, it has that distinct color. After i got home i checked the Automatic Transmission fluid and it's a perfect match for the color that's leaking. It's the same color. All my fluids are checking the right level. My fear now is that I've unblocked this crack or whatever that has been blocked for a while now by the buildup of dirt and grease...

my transfer case leaks at the from input shaft, and the fluid is confined to the middle of the pathy.

And yes it has Autotrans fluid....

You could always try wiping your finger on the leaking area and smelling your finger, then compare that smell to your: atf, brake fluid, power steering fluid and fuel.

• Like 1

I wonder if you could be blowing fluid out the transmission breather. If I recall correctly it points towards the passenger side of vehicle. I don't know why pressure would be high enough to cause that but it might be worth checking. The breather is abouve the transmission and you really have to feel around for it. There should be some vacuum line connected to it. If the line is clogged it can cause a pressure buildup.

Sorry everyone...thought I had notifications for when replies were posted but I guess not..

my transfer case leaks at the from input shaft, and the fluid is confined to the middle of the pathy.

And yes it has Autotrans fluid....

You could always try wiping your finger on the leaking area and smelling your finger, then compare that smell to your: atf, brake fluid, power steering fluid and fuel.

I'm almost certain that it's ATF...I drained and refilled the fluid last weekend and the fluid i'm finding now is still the exact color as the ATF. My power steering fluid needs to be changed so I know it's not that cause the color is a little off. Otherwise, I don't find that color fluid anywhere.

IanH, I'll have to check that. It's all in the center of the truck on the passenger side. You can see the exact area of concentration. It doesn't spread from the middle area.

I wonder if you could be blowing fluid out the transmission breather. If I recall correctly it points towards the passenger side of vehicle. I don't know why pressure would be high enough to cause that but it might be worth checking. The breather is abouve the transmission and you really have to feel around for it. There should be some vacuum line connected to it. If the line is clogged it can cause a pressure buildup.

I'll check this as well. Everything is worth checking to make sure our Golden Girl "Betty" keeps on truckin..

Thanks again everyone. If I can find anything more I'll be sure to share the find and knowledge.

UPDATE: If anyone is still there I think I've figured out a little more and want to see what you have to say on this. I got under (again) and took off the panel. There was a small amount of fluid like usual. As I said in the first post, the fluid seemed to be around this wire bundle that was located where I started. I kept looking at this thinking it seemed like the fluid was actually coming from the bundle. I traced the wires back and the covering opened up again just above the transfer case. Sure enough it looked to be wet there as well. This area is close to the air breather that I think albino was talking about. If you look in the FSM at page TF-17 you can see right around where I'm speaking about. The wire that is getting fluid on it may be connected to the 4WD switch...it was a little hard to tell in the tight space. The air breather has a hose on it and is pointing the other direction so I don't know if that's it...always a possibility but just doesn't seem like it. The FSM also speaks of an oil gutter up there...this made me wonder. Could there be ATF coming out around here because of this gutter that is working its way down the line? It doesn't seem to be a serious leak...but it's there. What do you all think of additives like LUCAS to help with stopping leaks? In case this is a gasket or something. I can get to all of this eventually. I'm just hoping it's not too serious before the trip...

That is a weird place to have a leak! You may be onto something with the fluid following the wires. If the wires do in fact run to the 4WD switch, then the harness likely connects to the transfer case as well, which would explain how the fluid is getting on the wires in the first place. If a seal on the transfer case is going bad, it could be leaking onto the wires.

I wouldn't bother with additives, they'll just mask problems for a while if they do anything at all. Check your fluid level in the transfer case. If it's low, you have your culprit. If not, give the area a good clean and check it again in a couple days to see if you can spot the fluid.

I had a scare a while back when I noticed a thick black fluid leaking out of my truck from behind the rear mud flap. I was sure the axle was buggered somehow. Turned out the bottle of poorly-mixed fake blood in the cargo area (long story) had tipped over, soaked through the carpet, and was running down the the inside of the fender and out through the drain holes. :lol:

A few friends and I were trying to do a Christmas themed zombie movie, so we mixed corn syrup with red and black (a little too much black) food coloring to make 'blood.' We also brought along a jug of pine-scented kerosene so we could make a bonfire. We never got around to using either of them. I think the kerosene leaked out a few weeks later, unleashing a smell that stuck around for months despite shampooing the carpets. (

is all we ever got around to filming... don't expect Oscar bait.) All in all it turned out better than a previous attempt where walked a guy down the street in full zombie makeup... one guy offered us a ride to the hospital and a crazy lady called the cops on us. Good thing the two didn't happen together, I guess, or the cop would've figured we had a dead one in the back.

Anyway, back to mystery fluid leaks. :jacked:

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

i have the same exact problem, i took my pathy out to aamco transmissions. they said it was the wiring harness to the transmission. estimated $400 to fix, apparently the fluid is coming down the wires onto a plate thats running the transmission fluid to the rear passenger door

Im a Infiniti tech. Its you Turbine Sensor. Its leaking internally and the fluid follows the wiring and alumn shielding to the lowest point, the conector. We see them on the Qx4. The sensor is a pain to replace. You normaly have to pull the transmission. Some guys will dent the hump area of the car and lower the transmision as much as possible to get the sensor out with out removing the transmision

• 2 weeks later...