OH **** I FOUND RUST!

PrecisionX

I have a 2004 SE and I found a rust crack on the hatch pillar, near the hydraulic on the hatch. It is about a 2 inch crack, it's not soft but what the hell do I do about that and how did I get it there?!

Could it have possibly been in a small accident?

That be a strange accident, i know my car was in a small fender bender at some time in its life. and i found my support was all bent out of shape. but the bumper looked find

Maybe it was and they forgot to repair or its was tiny when it was hit and grew as the years went on?

It does look like the vehicle got smacked around at some point, and the metal cracked, and then the crack spread over time. Since it's a small section that's covered by the rear hatch it doesn't have to look perfect, but I wouldn't advise leaving it alone.

All it takes is a little bit of moisture to work itself behind the paint and you'll end up with bubbles / cracks that look like that. I'll bet it isn't even that deep. You could probably take a flapper wheel to that to knock off the loose stuff (down to bare metal), then paint over it with some touch up paint. You could consult a body tech if you're at all concerned about messing it up. I wouldn't even hesitate, but mine's older and has a lot more rust.

Edited by pathybuilder