any home made snorkels?

DsR50

my pics are in here somewhere but I tore it out and am re-doing it to match my new air box. 2" or 4" cut in half is a tight fit towards the front but there is JUST enough room. (On a WD21 at least.)
My new design will be a custom molded fiberglass duct 1.5x3" and mate up to a small scoop on top of the fender. The scoop will be removable so I can add a full snorkel if I need it.

I suspect it'd look like your truck got in a fight with a house. :lol:

PVC can be heat-formed, right? Why not pack a 4" tube with sand, heat it where you want bends, and form it to the truck? I do like the look of new4x4r's exhaust tubing though.

• Like 1

You can probably get the pieces off eBay. I just went to a shop and bought a mandrel 90, a 3 foot straight and a 45. Welded them all together. Put some 1/16 tabs on it. The piping inside is justmarine exhaust tubing. Its very simple.

I suspect it'd look like your truck got in a fight with a house. :lol:

PVC can be heat-formed, right? Why not pack a 4" tube with sand, heat it where you want bends, and form it to the truck? I do like the look of new4x4r's exhaust tubing though.

i like that idea, any more info on this??

• 3 months later...

I made mine on my white 91, didnt even spend 30bucks on supplies, bent it with heat (PVC). let me see if i could find my post.

Theexbrit, where is your version?

Here's my finished product. Not exactly home made, more of a heavily modified Cherokee snork.......

2013-06-21181540HDR_zps645d1bde.jpg

Cost me less than $150 total.

Edited by theexbrit
  • Like 1

How does one decide weather or not to run a pre-cleaner like New4x4r? Any of you with the "typical" snorkle top worry about water getting in there and soaking the stock filter when it's raining?

Very curious.

How does one decide weather or not to run a pre-cleaner like New4x4r? Any of you with the "typical" snorkle top worry about water getting in there and soaking the stock filter when it's raining?

Very curious.

In So Cal I don't have to worry too much about rain :lmao: Also, it's not my daily ride so I don't really drive it much when we do get some wet stuff. :D I made a pre-filter from a pond filter that I cut up, it keeps all the larger particles out & would probably stop a lot of rain from getting into the snork. You can angle the head of the snork down at an angle which will also help stop rain getting in, plus the Safari "scoop" such as mine has outlets at the bottom of the head unit to allow water to drain. That's about all I can think of to stop rain getting in aside from the pre-cleaner that new4x4r has, that's the best way to keep rain out. :aok:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Is there a noticeable negative difference in performance? Many of these snorkels point away from the wind (minus Xbrit) so no air is being pushed into the intake. Plus the longer path it has to travel and the fact that it will be warmer by the time it reaches the intake manifold. Seems to me like it would be a performance robber. No?

Sent from Tapatalk