Front Suspension Help?

traynem

Me and my dad just replaced the clutch this weekend and when we got everything put back together the front end has almost non-existent lift/suspension. We really don't know much at all about this kind of thing but bought a Chilton manual and it talks about the Torsion rods so we have been adjusting them to various dimensions and we cannot get the front end up. Now I'm wondering if it's the T-bars or something else?

this is my everyday ride so please help?

I'm assuming you dropped the torsion bars to access the clutch. Sounds like when you put them back in, you didn't match them up to where they were before and ended up with them a few splines lower than before. If you didn't pull them out of the adjusters make sure all the bolts for the adjusters are in place. Download the factory service manual and see if it explains the process any better than the Chilton guide. http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/pathfinder/1995_Pathfinder/

Good luck and post more pics if you're still stuck, I haven't attacked my torsion bars yet but I'm sure somebody who has could walk you through it.

I have to agree, it sounds like they weren't clocked and installed the same. It might take a try or two to find out the right orientation, but it shouldn't cost anything but time. Ideally, you want your ride height at the desired height and the bottom of the adjusters should be flush or recessed in the cross member. Oiling the threads on the adjustment bolt should keep it from galling as well. Here is a write up on the subject.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/17038-how-to-re-index-your-torsion-bars/

B

Thanks for the help guys, turns out we just underestimated how far they were cranked.

On another note, my pathy wont drive if the transfer case is in neutral. Any advice?

Now I'm going back 20+ years, but as I remember we were told by our DSM it could be towed all 4 on the ground if the transfer was in neutral, but don't take my word as law. Although we did tow our 87 all over and we towed the 88 down into Baja a couple of times with no probs.

A little PS

something in the back of my mind is saying there was a 200 mile limit? on towing without stopping

Yeah, the owner's manual has some specs on how far you can flat tow, it's pretty low for the automatics. I assume this is because the trans can't lube itself without the engine running. I guess if it's in 2h and you put it into neutral, the hubs aren't enaged anyway, and the CVs won't cause them to engage?

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, the owner's manual has some specs on how far you can flat tow, it's pretty low for the automatics. I assume this is because the trans can't lube itself without the engine running. I guess if it's in 2h and you put it into neutral, the hubs aren't enaged anyway, and the CVs won't cause them to engage?

Yes, it is pretty low, something like under 40mph for under 5 miles. Best bet is to use a dolly, flat bed or trailer and/or pull the driveshaft if you must flat tow it.

B

Yes, it is pretty low, something like under 40mph for under 5 miles. Best bet is to use a dolly, flat bed or trailer and/or pull the driveshaft if you must flat tow it.

B

Agreed!