dash instrument cluster lighting dimmer - umm, where?

DanielB

Hey Guys,

I've seen the dimmer mentioned a few times on the posts about going to LEDs behind the factory gauges, but I don't have one in my vehicle.

I have a 95 facelift JDM Terrano (aka Pathfinder) with the curvy dashboard and a TD27T diesel engine.

Pretty sure someone else with a facelift vehicle said they also had the dimmer.....

Any chance anyone could post a pic of the mystery knob, and describe location if not obvious?

I have a good parts guy, but he's not local, so have to be clear on what I am after when ordering.

Thanks for any help!

edit: It'd be great to know model/year of vehicle too.

Edited by DanielB

Well its not a knob ;)...its a horizontal wheel that is in the top row of the centre console. If you go on Cardomain there are plenty of interior pics where you can see. It really doesn't make much of a difference in terms of the degree it dims unless you have LED's lighting your instrument cluster.

I'm stepping out in a bit so I'll also take a pic for you...Cheers

2013-02-12083734_zps1f971c51.jpg

Pav's pic for reference for people afraid to click links (if there are still such)

and for reference for others who may click this thread looking for their wd21 dimmer here is a LHD square dash one

BA530687-54E0-4007-87D2-34CFDAA45657-702

it would be the knob to the right of the window release button/toggle

Great idea putting the fog light switch in the blank spot! I might just copy that one. :)

Check out the first post in this thread......the real OEM foglight switch for owners of the round dash.....

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/33207-cool-parts-you-may-not-have-known-existed/

Great idea putting the fog light switch in the blank spot! I might just copy that one. :)

Slartibartfast - there's a factory fog light switch available for Pathfinders/Terranos. It looks similar to the rear windscreen demister one, but with a spot/fog light symbol on it. Best part is all the factory wiring is already there for it to plug directly in to (well it is on mine....).

Slartibartfast - there's a factory fog light switch available for Pathfinders/Terranos. It looks similar to the rear windscreen demister one, but with a spot/fog light symbol on it. Best part is all the factory wiring is already there for it to plug directly in to (well it is on mine....).

Ha! Thats exactly what I put in the post above yours. I get the feeling the harness doesnt exist on US (and probably Canadian) Pathfinders because Alkorahil says you would of had to buy the harness and switch extra.

2013-02-12083734_zps1f971c51.jpg

Pav's pic for reference for people afraid to click links (if there are still such)

and for reference for others who may click this thread looking for their wd21 dimmer here is a LHD square dash one

BA530687-54E0-4007-87D2-34CFDAA45657-702

it would be the knob to the right of the window release button/toggle

This type from Pav's pic also came on some LHD square dashes, same location on my 92 IIRC.

kgrhqvpme7bcvh31bpdetfg.jpg

Edited by 92Path_68CJ

Useful info :aok: I can only confirm both my 88 dashes have knobs and all my HBs I can remember the dash on had knobs. Wonder the work required to make a knob dash a wheel switch dash... Hmm. Need a switch and pigtails...

Ha! Thats exactly what I put in the post above yours. I get the feeling the harness doesnt exist on US (and probably Canadian) Pathfinders because Alkorahil says you would of had to buy the harness and switch extra.

My foglight toggle switch, well actually all my toggle switches (window release, foglight, suspension sport / comfort and alarm) are all situated around the emergency brake on the front of the console. Are not all the 94/95 SE's this way? My dimmer knob is in the same spot as the one pictured above though. I know my truck was purchased new in Washington state and then it came south at some point.

I've got a great cupholder mod for you guys btw! It's perfect, pictures later.

That's where they are factory on 94-95 (you are only missing a heated seat switch) but the pre 94's had the rear window switch on the dash. Some people just like to be different and move stuff. I like the OEM fog light switch up with the dimmer because it looks better, not some crappy looking one that almost all Pathfinders came with.

Yeah, mine's by the e-brake, I just never want to go for it while driving for fear I'll hit the hatch popper instead :lol:

Are you kidding, I drive around like that sometimes and that is an integral part of my "Driving while my son shoots through the popped up window at enemies chasing us" plan.

• 1 month later...

Are you kidding, I drive around like that sometimes and that is an integral part of my "Driving while my son shoots through the popped up window at enemies chasing us" plan.

I use mine as a manual version of the porsche speed-activated spoiler. The downforce created is epic, and improves rear wheel traction at high speed. Stops tyres breaking loose at gearchanges, especially 4 to 5th. Additional bonus - being a diesel, the sucked back soot makes it look like I've got mean limo tints.... :D

hmmm, would anyone be prepared to send me one of these ones to NZ?

This type from Pav's pic also came on some LHD square dashes, same location on my 92 IIRC.

kgrhqvpme7bcvh31bpdetfg.jpg

Sure, as soon as I can source one from the local wrecker. No new pathys there recently so I don't know how long before I make the next trip.

Look in the For Sale section for people parting out trucks also. Its not much to ship something that small so it shouldn't be a big deal...

B

Thanks man, no hurry, let me know how much it'll be, and I'll tx some $. Don't worry about it if more than say $15 or so, probably just wire in a trimpot in that case.

Black one preferably (in case they come in other colors).