Throttle body delema

Slewis

I have a 1988 pathfinder and having trouble finding anyone that can help me to fix my problem?? Not getting fuel to the motor tryed everything and found out that it is the trttle body or a peice in the throttle body. Can't find parts for this pathfinder in my area. I'm in the south okanagan of BC Canada?

Thanks

Shawn

The pressure regulator is on the side of the throttle body, I doubt that will block flow though. If you have fuel to the throttle body it's probably the injectors that went bad or they aren't getting the signal to open. There's a safety relay in the passenger kick panel, orange, that send power to the injectors from the ECU/fusible link. If that's bad or tampered with incorrectly the injectors won't get power.

What makes you think it's the throttle body or a piece of it, if you fuel filter hasn't been changed in a while it can make a huge difference like it has for me and like mentioned before make sure to check your codes and let us know what you get.

Did it stop to work overnight or have you done something?

No fuel at engine, you could run the following tests if not done already.

Do you hear the pump for seconds when turning ignition on without cranking? If not, check pump's fuse, wires, corrosion of the wiring to the pump and ground. Access to the pump in the cargo floor.

Check fuel line for obstruction.

Ensure you don't mix up fuel line and return line???

Take precaution with the gas when disconnecting the lines and ensure it is not going to be sprayed all over.

Ph.

Those venturi chamber parts are getting hard to find and those still supplied by Nissan can be scary expensive. I really hope for you it is not an injector issue!

I agree to test other things like the fuel pump, fuel pressure and fuel supply to the injectors.

My 89 Pathfinder with carby suddenly stopped getting fuel up to the carby, didn't even come out the pipes when i removed them from the fuel filter (it's got the fuel injected type fuel filter which was common on the 89's prior to the injection being fitted).

I couldn't hear the fuel pump in the tank which wasn't unusual as I never heard it before to notice it and I haven't really heard it since.

Anyway, the fuel pump crapped itself completely.. just stopped (but hey it's 25 years old!) and it was a $90 replacement from an auto-parts store as the pump was a fairly common one.

The pump can be accessed for checking and replacement by lifting up the carpet in the rear of the wagon, unscrewing the inspection panel found under the carpet above the fuel tank then disconnecting hoses and power wires, removing the fuel unit from the top of the tank and changing parts.

Clearly check that the pump is working while the inspection cover (on the body NOT the tank) is open as you'll hear it if you lean towards the back while turning the key on/off. Be sure the entire electrical system is switched off before removing the fuel unit from the top of the tank to make sure there is no possibility of sparks from earths etc when you take out the unit (because sparks would be bad).

Anyway, once the new pump was fitted the Pathy hasn't had any problems since. It took a mechanic less than an hour to change (in fact I believe it may have been less than 30 mins once they realised there was an inspection panel) and the only reason I didn't do it myself was because I was 3,000 kms away from home and didn't have all my tools/equipment ready to do that sort of a job.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. Also when you replace the fuel pump it's probably a good idea to replace your fuel filters too, as the fuel will then be at full pressure again from a new pump and filter.

Cheers,
Sim

• 6 months later...

Hoping to reopen this thread to help yall out, just had the same issue, no fuel to throttle boddy, also beforehand I couldn't rev past 2,800 rpms after the motor was warm and started back up, I tested pump, it was bad, went to picknpull and got one for $25 tested it, good working, but I put it in my pathy, and it didn't work, no humming or anything, so after vigorous inspection with a test light, and a digital multimeter, still no power. I followed the power wire (white with a blue stripe and a few red dots) all the way back to the ecu, still no power, then I followed the ground wire (black with red dots) to its source, which was spaghettied all the way down, across the rear bumper, to the drivers side then up to nearly the front of the rear passenger seats, back across to the passenger side, and underneath the middle lower interior body panel to reveal that the screw was loose (probably due to engine or road/off-road vibrations). I tightened it back up and wouldn't you know it, I heard a (click, hummmmmm) from the fuel pump, turned the key back off waited about ten seconds, turned the key again (repeated this a few times to ensure fuel is at the throttle buddy) then cranked it and fired right up.

MORAL OF MY STORY, CHECK WIRING BEFORE SPENDING A BUNCH OF MONEY ON UNNECESSARY PARTS!!

www.oem-surplus.com has a couple throttle body, throttle chamber assemblies for the 86-87 VG30 trucks available still for $75, would probably work on your 88 if you happen to need that part of the TB.

• 4 weeks later...