metal squeeling noise on front left - how do i tell if my bearing is worn?

jdubs12

Hi everyone, so recently (after some significant driving in 4x4) i noticed my front left has a terrible squeel/metal on metal rubbing noise. It has gotten worse over the last two weeks.

Some recent changes are I had an alignment, swapped to winter tires (smaller then my reg. tires), and I put in new ball joints.... I am thinking (actually my friend who knows more about this @!*% is thinking) that its the bearing.... how do i tell if its garbage? That being said, anyone have any other suggestions as to what it might be? Another friend mentioned something about my axle and in which case he said i'll have a hell of a time replacing it. I will take the wheel off and have a look this weekend when I have the time.

Cheers

I checked the brakes and I can't see what it would be rubbing...it's only turning left, Id say it varies depending on speed, braking used to make it happen (going left only) but now regular left hand turns do it regardless of braking.

Yes and no. The rotor has to be removed for both, the old races pressed out and the new ones pressed in. The outer will usually fail first, but many people just replace them as a set.

Just jack it up and wiggle the tire first to see if that is the issue. It takes 15 minutes...

B