Custom headers

Cory74700

I suspect that engine is running very lean. If it's not running lean then it's not getting enough intake or exhaust or both and in that case it runs on half the power. What kind of tires do you run?

It has slim to no back pressure, I blew out my cat and muffler several months back I often run a mushroom filter directly off my throttlebody rather than the pan assembly and I'm pushing almost 190 Hp definitely not running lean by any means and I don't have a flashed ecu I have a chipped and reprogrammed ecu

Edited by Cory74700

It was chipped by my uncle he found the chip through his web database and it was apparently through a dealer through Nissan somewhere in Japan but not from Nissan directly, and tuned it to fetch max hp, max fuel economy he won't go into details with me quite yet, as soon as he does, then the words of wisdom will be shared here that's my guarantee. He installs the chip then further tunes the ecu that's all I know that's all he will tell me my best guess is tinkering with the air fuel ratio, and the amount of fuel that my low flow fuel pump sends, the guy is a wiz with ecus and tuning for optimal fuel economy in relation to power, I told him that I wanted more horsepower and better fuel efficiency, I got what I asked and I'm happy that's all I cared about.

Edited by Cory74700

Also my1path keep in mind I do have a modified ecu so the stock part of the ecu doesn't apply to me

Right, I have no Idea what your limter is set to or if you even have one on your chip...

It was chipped by my uncle he found the chip through his web database and it was apparently through a dealer through Nissan somewhere in Japan but not from Nissan directly, and tuned it to fetch max hp, max fuel economy he won't go into details with me quite yet, as soon as he does, then the words of wisdom will be shared here that's my guarantee. He installs the chip then further tunes the ecu that's all I know that's all he will tell me my best guess is tinkering with the air fuel ratio, and the amount of fuel that my low flow fuel pump sends, the guy is a wiz with ecus and tuning for optimal fuel economy in relation to power, I told him that I wanted more horsepower and better fuel efficiency, I got what I asked and I'm happy that's all I cared about.

I would like to see that uploaded to a bin file... then I can open it with nisutne and learn some things.

I just put an engine in an '87 for an old far that is insistent on putting dual exhaust on it with an x-pipe. He's already modified a cross member and has it completely planned out. Can't wait to see what it does whether it be a gutless pig, normal, or better. I don't have much faith in it though.

I've gotten 28.4MPG from my stock '87 Z31T all highway, the most in my Pathfinder was 23.8.

When have you seen Mr.510's headers in person? There's no reason at all why you can't run a dual exhaust setup with them or any header out there for these things. They exit with a ball and socket flange. :shrug:

The fact of the matter is that I'm not going to pay in excess of $600 for a pair of ceramic headers when I can easily fabricate them myself for $50-100 and continuously make them for the locals here in my town who have pathfinders, or hardbody pickups or just a vg30 motor in general, headers are simple and ceramic coating inside and out is even simpler, saves me money, and gives me the pure joy of using something that I made myself everyday of my life, hell if someone on here saw the headers af9ter I make them and is interested, I'd make another pair and sell them for $200 out the door, shipping included well, that is if its in the 48 continuous states, I like making things myself, and in time, id like to be able to make most of the support parts of the suspension myself but even stronger, welding is easy, bending tubes is easy, ceramic or chrome plating is easy, I have the knowledge and resources to do it I just haven't had the time yet, and my topic based upon custom headers has been blown way out of proportion and way off topic, its a shame that the topic creator can't edit and delete all the comments that aren't topic related such as my fuel efficiency for example, I added that note in there to further give an idea of the design I could possibly use to help increase flow to keep my numbers close to what they are not to be criticized on how I'm supposedly falsely stating my best guess at my fuel mileage, I shared my results and it should have been left at that or talked about elsewhere I know what "MY PATHFINDER" does and doesn't do, how it performs, and how efficiently it performs, basing all pathfinders as one doesn't mean anything to me, I have mine tuned to my liking, getting the power I desire and the fuel efficiency I like as well, and if the world still wants to call me a liar then good for the world, not everything on this planet that has the same name as one another performs or does the same as every other one of the same name, and if you don't understand that then your obviously not getting the right outlook on life, technology, and just everything in general.

By using the word "you" I'm not referring to anyone in specific, its just easier than saying "the world" over and over again. If there's any confusion or disrespect with this by anyone I do apologize sincerely.

Edited by Cory74700

Ok, I was just wondering. I've had a 87 hardbody from brand new and my PF now, and also worked in a 4x4 shop back home back when parts were being produced for the Nissan trucks and I have (still haven't) never seen a chip for these trucks. Jim Wolf Technology used to ( they still may I don't know), offer ECU re-programming where you sent yours in and they would alter it.

If your uncle located a source for a chip than you really need to find out the specifics and share it.

The only so called "chips" I have seen are the ones that install under the hood and offer these "amazing" improvements, where basically all it is is a resistor that connects inline with the IAT sensor and tricks the ECU to think the air temp is colder than it is causing the ECU to inject more fuel.

Not saying that is what you have, just curious on what ever chip your uncle found for you.

Sorry for off topic.

forum won't let me edit my post so I have to add a second reply,

Sorry I just have to add one thing after re-reading the entire thread, I agree with what was posted already, you need to calculate your mileage the usual way instead of posting what ever some computer says, that way we can compare your numbers based on the mods you have to other members numbers.

Second, I do not know the exact MPG numbers an 88 Pathfinder was rated for brand new, but I do know what the MPG ratings were from my old 87 Hardbody 4x4, which uses the same engine and fuel injection and my 87 was rated 15 city 16 highway, I have the original window sticker that shows that.

With that said, I don't care what anyone on here says they did to their engine, body, wheels or tires, regardless there is no way figuring out MPG the usual way that the 87-88 year Nissan trucks are going to get 32 MPG.

But as I said, if you are with your truck, figuring the MPG by dividing the amount of gas used for a given number of miles driven than by all means please share exactly what was done, cause we all could use a increase in MPG with these trucks.

Thanks

Sorry for off topic.

Edited by ahardb0dy

I posted my full tank mileage on a couple of the trips I have made and also around town and throughout my 4x4ing adventures they are on this posting starts with the number 670 just have to look, they are all posted, from my low, to high, to my average, I have a 22 us gal tank and fetch high results somehow

Edited by Cory74700

I saw your numbers, but is that using the computer your mechanic installed for you or by figuring the MPG the "normal" way.

As I said not doubting you, and I'm not trying to piss you off, but if your doing something with your truck and getting such good MPG I would like to know what you have done (specifics), and using the same method to figure MPG as others use.

Thanks

Also tungsten from your earlier post, I run 235/75/r15 which is larger than what came stock on my pathfinder, also an effect with my fuel mileage could be my extremely low gear ratios front and rear.

Ahardbody, the only modifications I have to effect my fuel mileage is an ecu chip, low flow fuel pump, consistent changing of plugs and wires, along with all filters, and en extremely low gear ratio. Those numbers came straight off my trip gauge everytime I filled up my tank the post about the computer was based on the computer the post about my road trips was using my trip gauge every fuel up.

Edited by Cory74700

Also tungsten from your earlier post, I run 235/75/r15 which is larger than what came stock on my pathfinder, also an effect with my fuel mileage could be my extremely low gear ratios front and rear.

A lower gear ratio (numerically) would cause your RPM's to increase, keep in mind also that changing tire size from what came stock will change the speedometer reading as well as your odometer and trip odometer. Going from a 215/75/15 which generally would be 27.7" tall to a 235/75/15 which would generally be 28.9" tall at 60 miles an hour the speedometer would read 62.6. (I say generally in regards to tire size as every manufacturer is different, sizes were taken from BF Goodrich tires.}

On my 87 hardbody with the stock 31's, and stock 4.62 ratio gears in drive at 60 MPH the engine would be running at 4000 RPM, I did not have over drive, and you do not either considering you have a 5 speed, unless you are referring to fifth gear as an "overdrive"

These are my gear ratios for 1-5th gear 3.83:1 first gear 2.33:1 second 1.44:1 third 1.00:1 fourth and 0.79:1 fifth gear I believe my rear diff gear ratio is 2.42:1 and tranny gear ratio is 3.07:1 I have just been corrected on the difference between high and low gear ratios as well, it seems I have a high gear ratio, as if I had for instance a 4.10:1 in the rear that would be a low gear ratio so I have a really high set gear ratio combination. Also I forgot to add that I do have the necessary components to correct the speedometer as well, but even if I for instance didn't have that then that would under my best guess mean my fuel mileage would be better than I thought, since I have the adapter for s larger tire size, my speedometer is spot on, I have tested this numerous times driving by various speed indicators around my town that the town police have placed and went different speeds to verify, and ky speed is correct.

Edited by Cory74700

Where did you find all those different gear ratios for each gear ( first thru 5th) ?

What is a tranny gear ratio? Your tranny should have the 5 gears as you posted (plus reverse of course) plus the ring and pinion in the front and rear axle

I've never seen a gear ratio lower than 4.37 for the WD-21's or the D-21, you will have to fill us in on your source for the 2.42:1 ratio gears in case anyone else wants to follow what is done to your truck.

How did you correct your speedometer?

You have a lot of things done to your pathfinder that no one on here has ever heard of, please share your sources and experience.

Thanks Again

Gear ratios came from a local shop here that custom makes them to specification these gear ratios were matched from a jeep tj and the tranny gear ratios were calculated by the rpms vs how many times the tire spun through some equasion basing upon how many teeth are on each gear opposed to one another this was all done back in November of 2011 when I first got it, I wasn't happy with how it behaved stock so we did some minor modifications, spent a bunch of money to have the gears special made, swapped out the standard overdrive 5th gear for a higher ratio 5th gear and the speedometer part, it was a universal kit to correct the wheel speed to the speedometer it came from GMffor an early model bronco that still used the speedometer cable vs doing it electronically as the 91 and up pathfinders switched to, might I add that the speedometer cable housing, the little plastic piece behind the gauge cluster is a royal pain in the arse to find. And the way we got the gear ratios to begin with used all that calculating and what not, in phoenix, az they put my car on this treadmill type thing, strapped it down as you would on a dyno and hooked up their system to it to gauge the rpms, and it was also hooked to the drive shaft to output the revolutions to the rear axle then from there to the wheel itself and ran it through the gears pairing it with the rpms then dividing and doing s whole bunch of calculating to figure out my true road force gear ratio, it was a hefty process but when everything was said and done they showed me the results, I took note of them and went on my way, I'd love to share the name of the company but that's way beyond my memory span