Tires for a 1993 SE V6 (other comments appreciated as well)

marbiol

Hi All,

Just moved and got a new Pathy - a 1993 SE V6. It came standard with 31x10.5R15 tires and I'm wondering what recommendations people have for replacements.

It'll primarily be on-road as I only have the one vehicle at the moment so I'm looking for something quiet on-road that can handle light off-road duty. I'll look at some more aggressive tires when I pick up a spare set of rims and have some more free time.

I'm coming from New Zealand and an R3m TD27T manual to an SE V6 Auto so it's a bit of an adjustment (wish I could find a manual with no body rust up here) but it's coming together and once I get the suspension sorted it should be a fun vehicle. It was the first no-rust one I've seen here and even came with a Rancho lift kit installed ;->).

Cheers,

Dan.

Welcome to the Club and to Canada ;) For Vancouver weather and type of use you have planned I would say the Michelin LTX A/T. I have a set on my truck and have to say they are nice on the highway and good in the snow. I would keep an eye out on Kijiji for some deals.

Definitely look in the thread, and I will recommend the Yokohama Geolander A/TS for what use you describe, but my experience is only with rain, not snow. Should do well since it is a fairly soft compound, but obviously verify theat independently.

B

Definitely look in the thread, and I will recommend the Yokohama Geolander A/TS for what use you describe, but my experience is only with rain, not snow. Should do well since it is a fairly soft compound, but obviously verify theat independently.

B

Love the geolanders on street, dirt and rocks. Can't comment on the rain or snow.

I had no complaints running 235/75/15s.

Edited by 92Path_68CJ

It would be either General Grabber AT2 which are pinned for studs and have a nice aggressive tread, or Cooper Discoverer AT/3 which have great reviews for snowy weather driving. I'm about to get a set installed myself but not because of snow, I just want a great all terrain tire and I have experience with a great set of HT/P coopers which have the same tread compound and I'm 10,000 miles from meeting the warranty rating of 65,000 but they still have at least 8 or 9/32nd's of tread left.

BFG All-Terrian T/A KO :wub:

I LOVE them. have had them in 31x10.50's (twice) and 32x11.50's(once) all were awesome in snow and did great offroad.

Edited by Kyle94

• 1 month later...

I am loving my new Cooper Discoverer AT/3's that I finally got installed on my pathy. Just took them through quite a bit of wet mud on Saturday, and they did great but I was still very careful on picking my line since I was alone. They ride great on the road, quiet as can be and look fantastic.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z29/gv280z/IMG_20130212_162303_zps7e11b348.jpg

• Like 1

I also have the BFG All Terrain T/A KO 31x10.5" R15.

Figured it was worth mentioning they feel a bit stiff for me when on crappy asphalt. Never really had much of a problem with traction in rain/snow/dirt/sand/light mud though so i guess they do what they're meant to.

I run the regular size Goodyear Wrangler Radials. Cost me about $88 per tire due to a discount sale, but they typically run around $99 p/t. Excellent tires, road noise isn't bad, I do go off road for some light duty 4x4 stuff and it did very well (never got stuck) plus put it in 2WD and still didn't get stuck in the mudholes. I live up in the mountains and often go out to measure snow for the Weather Service, and during the snowfall that hit us during Hurricane Sandy, I drove just fine through 1 foot of snow on untreated roads. If you're more into offroading, get a better tire, but this one suits me well for the majority of highway driving plus a little offroading and storm hunting.

I drive mine on-road more than off as well with occasional snow/ice here in North Carolina. I've had General Grabber, Goodrich All-Terrain T/As but my favorite tire(s) so far have been the Michelin LTX M/S and Michelin LTX M/S2. I have had three sets of Michelin LTXs. The first set was put on in 1994 when I bought it used. After that set I went through General Grabber and a set of BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/As then I went back to a set of Michelin LTX M/S. I just put a set of Michelin LTA M/S2 on it. Each set of Michelin LTX that I had went over 75k miles with a smooth ride an excellent rain traction. I was more concerned with rain when I first bought these tires since the PF was light in the rear. The other tires wore out around 30k. I'm at 233k on the vehicle now so the set I have on it will get me to 300k.

I've had no problem going up 20-25 degree slope in snow with the Michelin tires. They are not off-road/mud tires but they do pretty good with rain, snow, and ice and an excellent ride.

1. BFG A/T KO

2. Genral Grabber A/T

3. Goodyear Silent Armer / AT/S

4. Firestone Destanation A/T

5. Goodyear Autority A/T

6. RoadRunner ATP

Those are my choices.

I drive a 1 ton with the Michelin's and I cant stand them in the snow. The truck weighs 8k and I find that they dig too much.

Another tire too avoid is the General A/P. There an all season street thread and provide no traction what so ever.

I just picked up a 93 SE as well. I went with the stock 15 inch rims but am using the NEXXEN M/T tires. They look good and have 6 ply construction. Work well in the mud and are fairly smooth and quiet. i live in Oregon where we get our share of rain and they seem to work well in the wet too.

This morning I had the most successful mud riding to date with my 94 SE in general, and the most that I've yet taken my new tires through and I have to say they worked great. The mud hole I found was appx 60ft in diameter mud ring where others had been rutting it up in the recent past, really wet, standing water in a few spots and with my new Coopers I was able to plow right through it, never got stuck, which was a good thing because I was alone. Truck did great, as far as I'm concerned its bone stock with a few minor exceptions and I think it's friggin awesome, I love it. The tires never even balked, never even started to leave me hangin, just kept pushing through.

In this pic you can see what I just went through, there was a lot more off camera.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z29/gv280z/muddy_zps9cf91ebf.jpg