Is it hard to swap and 02 sensor?

jdubs12

Really depends on how dirty it is underneath...mine is full of rustproofing so it took some more time to clean the area...otherwise its quite easy and outlined in the Service Manual.

Just be gentle with your new one when putting it in and make sure you disconnect your battery before you work on it.

Its easy. Depending on your year, 90-93 are a 17mm (I believe, changed my friends but am not completely positive) wrench and 94-95 are a 22mm. The hardest part assuming the O2 sensor comes out without a giant cheater bar, is tracing the longggggg wire up to the engine bay. Your new O2 sensor should already have anti seize on the threads, and if it doesn't put some on.

Exactly as said. Not an issue if it isn't rusted in place, but that can be the case in salt country. Do they salt the roads there?

To deal with the cable, tie a string to the connector end and remove it (I believe it is clipped in a few places). Use the string to assist in installing the new wire and connector.

B

Fairly easy. Agree totally with the rusted on part...

I recently replaced mine and this is what it looked like underneath...

2012-12-29110015_zps30bd7118.jpg

I looked at that and literally said "$%^&, how is that coming out..."

I used a lot of penetrating oil... just spraying it on and letting it sit then repeating. Take your time if it is stuck in there it will eventually come out.

I also borrowed a tool from my cousin (not sure on the cost) that was an O2 sensor socket... slips over the wires and sits in there perfectly... made the task so much easier.

Once I got it to start turning (not an easy task) more penetrating oil and time... Came out fine once I broke it loose.

The new one went in so much easier than the old one came out.

Plus this is where I was working.

2012-12-29104848_zpsc61df0c3.jpg

But my Z was in the garage... couldn't exactly put that outside! lol

No, you can't clean them. Once they rust on the outside, they are done. It's not only the piece that's stuck into the exhaust that matters, that outside section is what actually used as a reference for oxygen.

great they salt roads here like crazy and its -7 outside....oh and I dont have a garage, ill have too beat a roommate home so I can have the driveway and not the road.

• Like 1

You can re-use the existing wire. No big deal.

MAF cleaner works but typically the wiring causes issues because people don't remove the connector when changing the air filter and break the wiring in the connector.

yeah ive never removed the the wiring to change my air filter... I have no idea if its universal I will check when I'm home - I just went to Napa and asked for an O2 sensor for a 95 pathfinder..

Tungsten is talking about the MAF wiring...

Universal usually means a splice into the wiring sensor, OEM (replacement) will have a full wire and connector on it. How long is the wire on the one you bought and does it have a connector?

B

• Like 1

great they salt roads here like crazy and its -7 outside....oh and I dont have a garage, ill have too beat a roommate home so I can have the driveway and not the road.

HUH?!? -7 degree e e eeees??? How do you do anything in -7 degree weather? Or maybe just normal old Positive 7 degees and you're possibly contemplating doing this job laying in the street at the curb? I'd go broke living there, I'd be trying to have a small storage garage rented where you can pull inside, jeeez man. Good freezing luck!!

HUH?!? -7 degree e e eeees??? How do you do anything in -7 degree weather? Or maybe just normal old Positive 7 degees and you're possibly contemplating doing this job laying in the street at the curb? I'd go broke living there, I'd be trying to have a small storage garage rented where you can pull inside, jeeez man. Good freezing luck!!

This is why you live in Texas... haha

does that MAF cleaner in a can work? I am getting terrible fuel mileage and cant climb a hill worth @!*% (annoying when you live in the mountains)...

I had the same hill problems until I checked out all my vacuum hoses...Carbon Canister vacuum port to Throttle body had a tiny tear in it...after I replaced it...no more hill problems or getting it up to highway speeds and big fuel economy gain.

I clean my MAF with a spray cleaner...like the others have mentioned...just be careful with it...disconnect the battery first...remove the housing on top...unscrew the two screws and 10-15 shots of the cleaner...give it enough time to fully dry...I wait about 30 mins...and reassemble.

Hope you solve your problem...the diagram in the FSM for the Vacuum Hoses - EC 7

sweeeeet. I got it in no problem; thanks guys - and as soon as I pawn some more crap I will investigate the hoses

and I really should get around to pics at some point..

Edited by jdubs12