never ends problems with pathfinder

ahardb0dy

So today I used the pathfinder to go to my storage unit and when I got back I noticed oil on the driveway, from under the engine.

I backed the truck in as I was replacing an amp and after it sat for about an hour I noticed oil under it again, crawled under and it appears oil is coming from between the engine and trans, I had the rear seal replaced when I had the JDM engine installed a few yers ago.

Way to start a new year !!!

Drain plug is dry, pan looks dry too, looks like it's coming between the engine and trans, but I haven't opened the hood yet to see if it is running down from somewhere, tomorrow I'll check it

Went out before and chacked al the valve cover screws I could get too, which means all the passenger side ones and like 3 on the drivers side. They were all so loose I could have removed them with my fingers ! BUT no signs of any oil around the valve covers.

Which leads to my next question. I was looking at what is involved to remove the intake manifold, it looks like it is only 5 bolts for the manifold it self, plus all the connectors, plug wires, throttle cables, EGR pipe, etc. I was thinking of pulling it one weekend and while it's off, replacing both valve cover gaskets, the knock sensor, plugs, cleaning the inside of the manifold, cleaning the inside of the TB, of course new manifold gasket too, Anything else?

After removing the plenum from the Q45 we had I think anything else would be easy !!!

Use super long needle nose for the clamps behind the plenum, they are the only problem I ever had. Also, watch for the last electrical connector which is underneath and right at the back of the plenum. I've had mine off a few times, its really not too bad.

Use super long needle nose for the clamps behind the plenum, they are the only problem I ever had. Also, watch for the last electrical connector which is underneath and right at the back of the plenum. I've had mine off a few times, its really not too bad.

how many hoses connect on the bottom? And what does the electrical connector go too?

There's 2x 5/8ths or so hoses that go down behind the plenum, I found it easiest to get the clamps up off bottom connections and into the middle of the tube, then use a long flat head screw driver or prybar to pry up on the bottom of the hoses. They can be really stiff the first time off. The electrical connector goes to the back of the plenum, and underneath. I think its iacv but I can't remember, what I do is remove everything first except the fat 1" straight tube (I think the pcv valve cover outlet) and that last electrical connector. Save those 2 things for last, because when u detach the upper plenum u can rotate it upwards from the drivers side and pry the edge over to the passenger side which will make that 1" tube easy to remove and give u access to the stupid wire clip on the connector. Hope I was clear, hard to type out what I'm visualizing!

• 2 weeks later...
Went out before and chacked al the valve cover screws I could get too, which means all the passenger side ones and like 3 on the drivers side. They were all so loose I could have removed them with my fingers ! BUT no signs of any oil around the valve covers.

Which leads to my next question. I was looking at what is involved to remove the intake manifold, it looks like it is only 5 bolts for the manifold it self, plus all the connectors, plug wires, throttle cables, EGR pipe, etc. I was thinking of pulling it one weekend and while it's off, replacing both valve cover gaskets, the knock sensor, plugs, cleaning the inside of the manifold, cleaning the inside of the TB, of course new manifold gasket too, Anything else?

After removing the plenum from the Q45 we had I think anything else would be easy !!!

dont do ete! well dont clean the TB anywho. if its old and hasnt been cleaned in ....say....forever! there will be a ring of carbon around the butterfly that u will wash off. only problem with that is it etches the metal and causes the air to flow different than before which leads to :angry:... just my 2 cents on cleaning the TB unless its been cleaned fairly regularly through the life of the vehicle. ALSO the 2 hoses on the side of ur upper intake dont need to come off. that would be the coolant hose right under your air bleeder screw on the driver side top of your intake and the one right beside that for the PCV valve. they just connect to tubes that run under the intake and they didnt have them at the local auto parts places, was a special order item. however there are some behind the intake that u may as well cut during the removal and replace. hmmm what else. bah thats bout it. i replaced my valve cover gaskets a couple of months ago and did a standard tune up on it. the only thing i regret is cleaning that dang TB. ohhh ya. great time to do the #6 plug while the upper intake is off :lmao:

Hope this helps u out in ur quest. stay chill.

Edited by fixinto