ABS question - Is it working?

Kapoosta

I don't have an ABS light on and I checked my ECU codes and it was all clear. I also used diagnostic mode 4 to check the speed sensor and it was working properly.

We recently had a huge snowfall here and so I've had the opportunity to really test my braking power and found that my ABS doesn't turn on or at least I don't think it's turning on. Am I wrong in assuming that when the ABS activates, you should be able to here the pulsing of the ABS unit and the ABS light should flash (just like every other vehicle I've had)?

EDIT: The ABS light illuminates on start and goes off right away so I know the light isn't burned out.

Edited by Kapoosta

Remember, the early pathfinders on have rear ABS. The speed sensor is located at the pinion and not at the wheel like newer cars. 99% of the time, people will never feel their ABS operate. First of all, check to make sure you have a abs module under the drivers seat. You can also check for a small actuator in the right frame rail, under the right rear door. Your system is probably fine(you grounded out the pin on the blue connector under the dash, correct?), with no lights on. You may also want to make sure your rear brakes are properly adjusted for proper operation.

Remember, the early pathfinders on have rear ABS. The speed sensor is located at the pinion and not at the wheel like newer cars. 99% of the time, people will never feel their ABS operate. First of all, check to make sure you have a abs module under the drivers seat. You can also check for a small actuator in the right frame rail, under the right rear door. Your system is probably fine(you grounded out the pin on the blue connector under the dash, correct?), with no lights on. You may also want to make sure your rear brakes are properly adjusted for proper operation.

Thanks. I'll check this out tomorrow. How exactly are the rear brakes adjusted for proper operation? I thought they were just pads on a caliper? (Sorry, I've only had this thing for a month so I'm still figuring it out)

Guess no. 1: Your [rear] ABS brakes are working.

Guess no. 2: Snow is a lousy surface for testing. Use a dry asphalt or a well-graded gravel road. Hit the brakes hard. You should feel the subtle vibration in the brake pedal.

Box is under the driver seat. Having replaced mine before, just to make the light go off.

1) Do you have disc or drum rear brakes. Most pathys came with drum.

2) In order for the ABS on these to actuate both rear wheels have to be locked up at the same time, if only one locks up it won't actuate. Its because of the design with sensor at the pinion (drive shaft input to differential). As long as one wheel keeps spinning the drive shaft (connected to the pinion) keeps turning so the sensor doesn't sense a lock up. In my opinion its practically useless since with drum brakes it is rare that both lock at the same time. I guess maybe in a really hard braking situation it might occur, but I've never had my ABS actuate and I know I've locked at least one wheel in the rear. Bottom line in my opinion is it is best to drive like you don't have ABS.

Edited by andreus009

Well there was quite a bit of ice (glare ice.. super slick!) last week on the roads so I know that I was locking up both wheels and never felt/heard the ABS kick in.

I didn't find anything under my drivers seat, not even a random plug. I'm going to check for the actuator when I get home tonight. I wonder if the unit was removed and the plug hidden away under the carpet somewhere.. but wouldn't that turn the ABS light on?

Does the ABS light on the dash come on with the other idiot lights when you first turn the key? If not it may be disconnected or burned out.

The box should be beside the heating vent, between it and the gas hatch release lever. It's pretty hard to miss, so if you don't see anything under there, sounds like you don't have it. I don't think it was optional equipment, but check for the actuator. If it's there, someone's been at the computer.

It only will really kick in when the rear end of the truck is under load....meaning you are towing something.

I had thought the opposite... that the wheels would be more prone to locking up when there was no weight on them... just like how you get wheelspin in a pickup when there is nothing in the bed... no traction...

Also, FYI, there is a separate ABS diagnostic code procedure in the FSM, it tells you exactly why the ABS light has come on...

In my case it was the speed sensor that had died. Replaced it and the light went out. I've still never noticed the ABS working though... tried locking stuff up, but never felt anything. Shrug.

Thanks. I'll check this out tomorrow. How exactly are the rear brakes adjusted for proper operation? I thought they were just pads on a caliper? (Sorry, I've only had this thing for a month so I'm still figuring it out)

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Your rear brakes could be either drum or disc. You got to look though the wheel and see what you have. If its drum brakes, the shoes can be adjusted once you have the drum off. You basicly turn the adjuster a few clicks then install the drum. Give it a spin a I should drag a little bit. Keep sliding the drum off and adjust as needs. This will give you better braking and pedal feel, as well as if the abs operates, it will work better.

I believe I posted how to check your abs for codes in the How To section. I will try to find the link.

Here is one.....

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/27880-abs-light/

Edited by 5523Pathfinder