Forum issue-New post or replying

Trogdor636

About 80% of the time if I post on my desktop, it just hangs and I have to close the page and redo it all over again. It does this whether I start a new thread, or reply to a post. Any ideas on what it could be? Sometimes the Auto Save feature seems to hang up so I'm not sure if thats the problem or not.

It just did it while trying to post, and then again when I tried to edit for my spelling!

Edited by Trogdor636

About 80% of the time if I post on my desktop, it just hangs and I have to close the page and redo it all over again. It does this whether I start a new thread, or reply to a post. Any ideas on what it could be? Sometimes the Auto Save feature seems to hang up so I'm not sure if thats the problem or not.

It just did it while trying to post, and then again when I tried to edit for my spelling!

I've had it do that a few times recently (last week or two) but I've had general computer issues with hardware, drivers and malware, so... scan things well and see? :shrug:

B

Works fine for me in Firefox. Another forum I use (vBulliten based) has an annoying habit of thinking I've logged in again halfway through a post, and so when I hit 'submit' it deletes the message... that site's a PITA. No problems on here though. :)

There is no forum issue, this is an adjustment of member permissions we are experimenting with for several reasons, quality of posts being one and excessive editing disrupting threads being another. Pay attention to what you post, it's for keeps and if you aren't sure about info/facts do your homework first and then post.

That said, if a member wants a post deleted, contact a member of the staff, provide a link to the post and a reason for the deletion.

Editing is allowed, but for a limited time only so the poster can deal with typos, mistakes or poorly written posts, not go back days later and alter what was stated.

We suspect this will improve the quality of the forum overall and reduce the amount of monitoring and management required by the Staff. We are all volunteers and have other responsibilities as well. ;)

B

Ok thanks for the clarification. The reason i'm asking is yesterday my internet was stuffing around and i accidently double posted but couldn't delete the second post. Also what about write ups e.g my1path's mpfi swap post, editing the first post makes it easier and more neater if the first post can be edited.

As you stated, yes it can be a bit easier for a info to be added to an original post in a tech thread but on the other hand these new settings should curb the temptations to add "input" without education on a subject as now the edit function can't be abused. Proofread and be sure before you hit enter :aok:

Good point. Write ups can also easily be done in 'chapters' without the need for constant editing. Once again though, I stress that if something needs to be done, just contact a member of the staff.

B

This forum works without a hitch for me while using Opera 12.1 I never had an issue with previous versions of Opera on this web-site. Ergo, I suspect that you problems Trogdor636 stem from some issue on your computer.

You should be constantly updating Flash Players. That should not be an issue.

How much RAM do you have? Do you ever clear your web browser caches?

What about only allowing the first post to be edited or something? Usually on a write up that's all that's needed.
Unfortunately, I doubt if that level of definition is even possible. An Admin will have to define the boundaries, B only Mod in game of NPORA.

B

B is correct, it’s an all or nothing game.

If there is an update to a first post that needs to be done, feel free to type it out in a new post, then PM a Staff Member asking us to replace the text in the first post. But in this case, please type out what you want the entire first post to be (in a new post) so all we have to do is Copy and Paste, this way there is no interpretation required on our part and you get what you wanted once the edit is complete.

An alternate would be to do the same in a PM to a staff member rather than a new post in the thread.

Either will work, just make it complete.

Thanks,