Metal Jerry-Can installation!

Willfly4money

20121103_164335.jpg

20121103_200001.jpg

20121103_195942.jpg

20121103_195924.jpg

Not sure if these pics posted but here is my Jerry-Can installation on my 94 pathy. Had to relocate the tire mount and fabricate the can mounts. Also had to cut and reweld the tire rack latch-lever shown in the pics. Just finished today after putting "newer" rear springs in. I have done QUITE a bit of work on this truck since purchasing for $1500 but I still like it nonetheless!!

• Like 1

Looks good. I've always wondered if you could do that. Thanks for sharing. :)

Also - did you rhino-line your car? If so, do you have other pictures of it? I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I'm getting tired of branches and crap scraping paint off my car.

I like that! I have to ask though, is that a NATO can or the Jerry can that was made for years? There are slight dimensional changes that mean one might not fit the other holder...

I have done QUITE a bit of work on this truck since purchasing for $1500 but I still like it nonetheless!!

Odds are that it is worth the effort and you'll get years of satisfaction and reliable use out of it. :aok:

B

Looks good. I've always wondered if you could do that. Thanks for sharing. :)

Also - did you rhino-line your car? If so, do you have other pictures of it? I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I'm getting tired of branches and crap scraping paint off my car.

It is actually painted with Duplicolor rubberized undercoat from rattle cans, it isnt very durable and scrapes off fairly easy. I plan on bedliner in the near future.

I like that! I have to ask though, is that a NATO can or the Jerry can that was made for years? There are slight dimensional changes that mean one might not fit the other

You know, Im not sure. I actually got the can from harbor freight and it is Midwest brand.

This is what I know as a jerry can. Note the metal seam/lip around the bottom?

81733%205%20Gallon%20Metal%20Enviro-Flo%20Plus%20Gas%20Can.jpg

This is what I know as a nato can. No lip/seam on the bottom, has a small filler neck and slightly different dimensions. That seems to be what you have. FYI US Can or whatever in florida (the biggest manufacturer) was recently run out of business by asinine law suits.

jerrycan.jpg

Capacity is almost identical so it doesn't matter which one you have, but you might have to stick with the same thing in the future.

Good work BTW. I have yet to decide if I will mount my jerry can holder (uses the lip on the bottom) or go with a more universal cage type. :shrug:

con_ferr_blitz_can_carrier.jpg

VS

carbcanandholder.JPG

B

The cage mount looks awesome, I didn't know about US can, doesn't surprise me though in this day and age. Ive got my can chained to the tire mount so as to preclude having to buy another. But if someone wants to steal it, they will!

Side-note, if anyone knows of a good metal cap as shown on the nato can above, please let me know, the midwest can I have came with a plastic cap/filler neck.

I like it but I would put some sort of a locking cap on it just to deter people from siphoning up your gas.

when we're traveling I'll siphon the gas into the tank then top off everything in the morning.

and yeah I have had a few weird looks when I'm at a motel.

If I remember I'll post a pic of my install tomorrow

If I'm stealing fuel from a can, a lock on the lid ain't gonna stop me. Proper waste of breath... I mean thief is prepared enough to either take the can or pop it to drain the fuel quickly. Lock just sais you WANT to keep people out for a reason

If you're worried about people stealing it, just put a cheap can back there as a decoy, and fill it with horse piss. The lulz of somebody actually stealing it would outweigh the obvious downsides of carrying a jug of piss everywhere you go.

Then again, maybe not. :lol:

Nice work on with the carrier. :)

That's a very good point but a locking cap could still prevent someone stealing the cap as a joke or something like that.

And can also stop them from putting salt/sugar in there

20121103_164335.jpg

20121103_200001.jpg

20121103_195942.jpg

20121103_195924.jpg

Not sure if these pics posted but here is my Jerry-Can installation on my 94 pathy. Had to relocate the tire mount and fabricate the can mounts. Also had to cut and reweld the tire rack latch-lever shown in the pics. Just finished today after putting "newer" rear springs in. I have done QUITE a bit of work on this truck since purchasing for $1500 but I still like it nonetheless!!

Nice work...just wondering how its being held down?

In the other pics posted here the other carriers have a member that fastens to the top of the 'can' so it most likely doesn't pop out from vertical motion or even air coming up from under the body at higher speeds. It could be pretty dangerous if the 'can' came flying out at someone on the highway.

Nice work...just wondering how its being held down?

In the other pics posted here the other carriers have a member that fastens to the top of the 'can' so it most likely doesn't pop out from vertical motion or even air coming up from under the body at higher speeds. It could be pretty dangerous if the 'can' came flying out at someone on the highway.

Good question, keep in mind that the mount I built its completely custom, this "arrangement" is a friction fit and holds the can very tight. The insurance is the chain that holds the can from moving vertical in the mount as shown in the pic. I don't have any solid evidence to the fact other than several hundred miles of highway driving with it at 65mph. As far as bumpy trail driving goes, the chain would keep it attached to the vehicle. Years of flying and working on airplanes with very flammable substances has led me to believe that if you keep the fuel away from ignition, you will mitigate some level of hazards. This of course doesn't take into account someone slamming into the back of your vehicle.... If that is a concern, please don't mount a hazmat container externally to the rear of your vehicle. :) BUT if looking "cool" and not running out of gas is your thing, by all means, fab it up gents!!!

Nice! Is there any full reason to need to move the tire carrier? And is it easy to do? Reason I ask is because I've got 2 jerry-cans that I bought over the summer to eventually rig to the carrier for when I'm storm chasing. I'm hoping to have a couple guys at my work fab up some custom mounts for my brush guard, so maybe when they do that I'll ask them to get a couple more things made up for the can. Thought about a plate with a 2" lip on all 3 open sides for the bottom, welded or bolted to the carrier. Then create some sort of locking device for the top so that it wont fly off or get taken very easily. Ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! Is there any full reason to need to move the tire carrier? And is it easy to do? Reason I ask is because I've got 2 jerry-cans that I bought over the summer to eventually rig to the carrier for when I'm storm chasing. I'm hoping to have a couple guys at my work fab up some custom mounts for my brush guard, so maybe when they do that I'll ask them to get a couple more things made up for the can. Thought about a plate with a 2" lip on all 3 open sides for the bottom, welded or bolted to the carrier. Then create some sort of locking device for the top so that it wont fly off or get taken very easily. Ideas?

Sorry for the late reply,I haven't quite figured this forum out yet. I had hoped the can would be an easy install but the Jerry can was just too wide and masked the tail lights at certain angles.