How to Clean the MAF?

WxChaser

Use MAF cleaner spray only as other chemicals may damage the MAF. I don't know how it is on WD21s, but R50s have the MAF secured by 2 T20 Torx bits (sometimes tamper-resistant T20 Torx bits with the hole in the middle of the screw). Remove the negative battery terminal before disconnecting the MAF harness.

Some people have reported issues with MAF cleaner spray. Personally I use a Q tip and isopropyl alcohol, just be gentle. I've done this on 2 WD21s and an R50 with no negative results and some obvious cleaning. Here is a write up and discussion.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/5194-how-to-cleaning-your-maf-sensor/

B

IIRC I used alcohol on a q-tip, just gotta be careful not to screw up the little wires or use a chemical that leaves a coating (WD-40 would be a bad choice).

IMHO that's just asking for trouble

MAF'S are close to $440 new and if you twist or break the wires. That's a $440 mistake http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_search_result.php?keywords=[22680]+\(r50&cPath=4700_4701_4717_4720

I have personally had zero issues with CRC Mass Air Flow cleaner. It's a little more expensive, but I've always trusted CRC.

Just my two cents

-Kyle

EDIT: disregard my link, apparently mobile doesn't like it.

Edited by ferrariowner123

Another q tip and alcohol user. Its impossible to screw up unless you use the q tip like you are trying to stab your brain.

Since you say it like that! :lol:

No one wants to mess up their MAF, be it with sprays or Q-tips. I can't recall who it was that had issues with cleaner, but quite a few people chimed in. Obviously, do what you feel confortable with, and rest easy knowing that if you have issues with a spray cleaner, you can wipe it off with a Q-tip. Best of both worlds! :D

B

PS CRC does make good products, I have used them for years, just not that one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cleaned my MAF after reading this thread and WOW!!!

The check engine light went off and the power was increased. The alcohol and Q-tip method worked perfectly and I couldn't believe the dirt and gunk that came off the wires.

Thanx for the info