anyone seen this type of sunroof?

Daves94XE

i have been looking for a new hinge for my sunroof glass and all the factory ones i have found are made different. it has made in brazil on the glass. is this a factory sunroof or aftermarket? the plastic ears have broken off and if the others break im screwed lol thanks guys.

http://s976.photobucket.com/albums/ae245/95xcabsilverado/pathfinder/

There is the factory one and the aftermarket kit by (name eludes me for the moment) that some dealers would put in the XE models.

The factory one is heavier glass and slightly wider front to back then the kit one.

I cant remeber the name of the company that supplied them! I can see their emblem even in my head. It was an orange stylized sun and the name was duraguard, sunguard, something like that.

Considering my factory one is 24 years old with no issues and every aftermarket one I've ever had leaked, I'm goin to have to hands on disagree with that opinion :shrug:

That style latch looks like the same 'generic' one that was on every ziebart brand one I ever had in the past, though that's the only one I can remember the name of I KNOW I've had (I can remember the little "knight and shield" logo)

• Like 1

I have the factory one and I have played around with aftermarket ones before too. What I don't like about the factory one is that they are cross hatched instead of tinted. The seals on them fail much quicker than aftermarket ones too. The only reason why the factory one does not leak is there are drain channels on both sides. Even if the seals start coming apart, the water can still go down into the drains. If your seals are fresh on the aftermarket ones, they will never leak. The aftermarket ones have cool covers so they don't need that bolt on headliner stuff and they have nice dark tint instead of that goofy net.

Some hot sports opinions around here!

Since we are throwing them out.

i like the factory cross stiched tint thing. Especially when it hails because it wont shatter all over my head. I also like the heavier duty glass used.

What I like even more is being able to still find parts for them.

Edited by Alkorahil

I don't hate the factory sun roof but if only there was an alternative way to cover it aside from bolting a whole piece of headliner to it and there was a dark tint option instead of the cross stitched option it would have been perfect. The drain is a good idea but those hoses are really hard to take out and clean up if you ever have to do that. I forgot to mention that the sun roof is sealed from both the inside and the outside but the outside seal can fail really fast if left in the hot sun for too long, especially around the hinges. Then you will only have the inside seal and the drains keeping the water out.

I don't know if the glass is any stronger than the aftermarket ones are but maybe the cross stitching makes the glass stronger? :shrug:

:lol:

Must have been a popular dealer mod around here then. Where is that truck from?

Last time I went to a junkyard, those sun roofs were on every XE I saw at the yard. Maybe I can pull you the hinges next time I go if they are still around.

it was bought at North Olmsted Nissan in Ohio. and was brought here after only a yr. that maybe explain some of it. it could have been a area type alteration. i looked and it is a Funstyle Blendix Countess sunroof.i found the kits but idk about the parts they offered a hardware kit for like 38 bux but no info of what was in it. tho mine is the only one like it i have seen here they are all factory or nothing

Edited by Daves94XE

Most likely dealer/area specific then. That would explain why it's alien to some people and common around here. It's literally a cut into the body sunroof. I thought it was a newer model year thing the first time I saw them.