SBC or Nissan v8 swap. any one done this?

this is an idea i've been dabbling with as well, there are plenty of thread on the forum already if you search for them. GL

Ya their a few, but all inconlusive. If i could find a nissan v8 that is carbed i would go that path but a 350 with a 4 bolt main is more reasonable. Also the adaptor for the tcase i found means that its a no brainer. Same shafts and everything with proper engine placement. Just need a little bump in the right direction from guy's who have done this.

Because all bs aside "Their is no replacement for Displacement" lol

Would like to do a sas, havent really sized it up... If i took a 90's JGC and basicly swap everything over will that work?

was thinking maybe the SBC can have a drysump, mild cam,roller heads and hot ignition. All that stuff is avalible on ebay dirt cheap

4x4parts has all this stuff for a swap, might have to modify the mounts.. But w/e

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/performance-engine-swap-kits-c-367_172.html

yeah you can swap the JGC stuff over if you wanted a worse front axle. The JGC (ZJ version, not FSJ) have aluminum housing dana 30 front axles.

Since you want a sbc you could get a 80s part truck and do like I did and swap over. Its nice having a complete parts vehical that you could get a tranny, t-case and engine from instead of piceing it togeather.

As far as the t-case adapter I dont know.

Do some measuring and then decide. Theres plenty of room in the bay for a sb ford or chevy but you need too use it. Some people have trouble with the gm dizzy fitting but thats in 4x2 trucks from what I under stand.

Rembering that im up in INUVIK i mostly have to make dew with what i can salvage.90's 1/2 ton is most common. In theroy i can take the whole undercarrage and bolt it on. Then a guy can utilize the abundant suspension lifts. This will maintain the stock apperance aswell keeping drivability

Now do i sound crazy?

A guy I used to know way back had a Nissan 4x4 with a chevy engine and I know he had to clearance the firewall for the distributor. Don't recall if he had a body lift, he had a sick suspension and was running 46" terra tires at the time.

A ford engine swap works good if you could find the right adapters as the distributor is in the front.

Advance adapters used to sell the adapters to swap in the Chevy engine.

The 4x4 shop I used to work in swapped a chevy 4.3 into a 720 Nissan pickup 4x4 and I know they had to re-gear the axles to match the rpm range of the new engine, only other details I remember from that truck is he was running 33's, no clue on what tranny we used.

Rembering that im up in INUVIK i mostly have to make dew with what i can salvage.90's 1/2 ton is most common. In theroy i can take the whole undercarrage and bolt it on. Then a guy can utilize the abundant suspension lifts. This will maintain the stock apperance aswell keeping drivability

Now do i sound crazy?

A 80s blazer would be perfect. Just saying. A lot of local mud trucks run mini truck cabs on full size frames. I wouldnt use a IFS frame unless I was gojng too SAS it later.

A old style cherokee could fit better but whens the last time you've seen one in the rust belt?

Ahardbody, yes if he tryed too keep the engine in a stock location he would have too cut the fire wall. a stock dressed sbc with no fly wheel or fan is like 32 inchs long and and the engine bay on a 21 is like 34". In most cases you have too cut the hood so a air filter will fit as well.

Looking at the second image it looks like two diffrent measurements, gotta ad another 5-6 inchs too that height for a carb and filter.

I'll measure my impalas 283 later too get the real numbers.

I think I measured rear deck too the fan is were I got my numbers (its been a while)

• 3 weeks later...

Off reading isn't always about power.

I would NOT put a sbc in a Nissan. Just a waste. For off road you need efi. For the amount of power you'd get, not worth it.

If anything, I'd keep it simple and from what I'm reading, a vg33 is a great swap. With some work, it'd make the same power as most any sbc.

The wheeling I do can be done with a 4 cyl engine. I lose traction enforce I run out of power.

This is just my "2 drink opinion". It might change in the morning.

Len

Off reading isn't always about power.

I would NOT put a sbc in a Nissan. Just a waste. For off road you need efi. For the amount of power you'd get, not worth it.

If anything, I'd keep it simple and from what I'm reading, a vg33 is a great swap. With some work, it'd make the same power as most any sbc.

The wheeling I do can be done with a 4 cyl engine. I lose traction enforce I run out of power.

This is just my "2 drink opinion". It might change in the morning.

Len

well my two coffee opinion is that ya a sbc is kinda a waste speaking from experience I used to run an 84 toyota with a 383 stroker and a 700r4 with dual cases blah blah blah well the long and short of it is the carb sucked even with lots of tuning time out on the rocks and the cooling is a big issue if you run a built sbc. I think with work on the heads and the chip in the computer you would be happy with a 3.3 swap or do the vg30de n/a like myself. I am gonna get between 280-300 hp out of a fuel infected 3 liter v6 that still says nissan on it so you can get the power of a sbc with out the swap!! Any how thats just my opinion I could be wrong.

• Like 1

I just don't understand the need for that kinda power...

And you don't need EFI for off road just as much as you don't need one tons.

They may fit your application, but you don't need them.

That being said, I'm looking forward to your more unique swap.

I haven't seen a V8 pathy in a long time.

Edited by 92Path_68CJ

If you're building it to wheel. And when I say wheel I mean lots of extreme inclines and declines then you should stay away from anything that runs with a carb. Unless you plan on running a propane kit. If you're building it for mild wheeling. More mud than rocks then a carb will be fine and in that case I can fully understand the urge to want an engine that is cheap, reliable, and has an aftermarket parts list that seem endless.

Im going to be making everyday unit out of it. I almost got all the angles couverd too. A 350 4bolt with ls1 heads and intake no dizzy becuase of these fancy ass DIS kit's ive found and a dry sump, electric water pump and a electric fan so my sbc build up is going to be like 1600$ and pretty savage. Trans is still up in the air. Kinda thinking that tcase adaptor is neat because a guy can keep the same physical Nissan becuse our ifs can be built up.

Yes it's amazing how much aftermarket support there is for these motors. You can get all that fancy stuff and then some to make lots of power on the cheap. The only issue with these blocks is sometimes they are not perfectly square (and you can get this corrected) but if you are starting with an aftermarket block you should be fine.

Of Course! Nothing made on this side of the pond was devloped to meet any type of azn standard.. In my opinion chevy and the gang made their parts to break were as nissan and the crew made their stuff to last.

Yep. Nissan makes their blocks perfect. That's the reason they can go for so long before needing a rebuild. The down side is that Nissan engines are very picky and can be a pain to take care of but are worth the effort.

However the main advantage to going SBC over VG is aftermarket parts. The SBC is an enthusiast's dream for aftermarket. If you can get a perfect aftermarket SBC block, some long rods, and some high compression pistons, you can have big power for very little money.

I have to agree with tungsten on the Nissan blocks. I've never pulled the heads on a Nissan motor that had a ridge in the cylinders. Usually you can still see some of the hone cross hatch patterns. Then again I haven't pulled the heads on that many Nissan because they usually don't quit if they are maintained properly. My first job out of UTI was a engine replacement shop. I swapped one VG30 in a 86 300ZX turbo because a rich teenager owned it since it was new and finally spun a rod at 60k. Maybe a couple of Z24s but that was it for Nissans and we had 5 guys swapping 3 to 4 motors a week each.

James