Timing belt? i think so.

bsb1957

I was going to agree with the 'give it a shot yourself' crowd, but you've come to that conclusion already... :aok:

Yes, cleaning things up and making room will help in the long run. consider changing the waterpump and or coolant bypass hose, as those take 1/2 of the timing belt repair time just to get to.

Go to the Garage section and download the Factory Service Manual (FSM) that is pinned at the top. I believe 94 is the oldest year, but it aapplies to 95% of the stuff under the hood. Start reading...

I'll dig up a few threads for you this afternoon.

B

These should get you started and you can search or ask for any specifics. :aok:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/22447-begin-head-gasket-change-tues/

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/14484-replacing-bent-valves/page__hl__%22bent+valves%22

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/7681-pulling-headshead-gasket/

Edited by Precise1

• 2 weeks later...

Update.....Pulled fan along with shroud and removed timinng covers and removed belt.

Cleaned everything up.

Drained rad.

Replaced timing belt as per info. given.

Did compression test and found all cylinders good except for #4 which was a flat 0.

My next question is that a co-worker has a 96 Nissan Quest with a VG30E.Im assuming that engine has to be identical to mine? Im thinking of a swap. He says his engine is a non interference.

Any thoughts are always appreciated along with all the replies ive gotten so far with this problem. To everyone,thanks for all your help.

The villager is non-interference, Ford insisted it needed to be so (good call actually) but I can't recall if they used the same version motor for the Quest. I know it's been discussed, so maybe a search?

It sounds like JamesRich knows...

B

That's actually partially not true. It is true that the Quest had a modified VG engine but every VG engine ever made was based on an interference design. The camshafts however could have a lower lift to avoid smashing the valves in case the timing belt ever broke. Either that or the engine could be lower compression where the pistons would not touch the valves. There could be something to make the engine act as a non-interference but the fact is the geometry of the engine and heads was never changed in any vehicle the VG was installed in.

• Like 1

The belt broke on my quest and didn't bend any valves but mine has a VG33. From what I've read it's deeper valve clearance notches in the pistons that makes it non interference. Which would also lower the compression slightly.

James

Not bad...except being under the intake BC that is a pita..

I prob should have mentioned this earlier but u did change the water pump, cam seals etc? This would be the time to do it...I would now change the all valve seals and replace the valves on #4...since you have a compression tester I'm sure u can put pressure in 1 3 and 5 to change those seals on the vehicle

Also a pm coming ure way