Cardone cv's

AndyC

So both the boots on my cv's were torn when I purchased my 1992 pathy. I bought replacement inner boots to rebuild them, then changed my mind and decided to go with new shafts from cardone.

On a run this last weekend, the drivers side cv started making sucking/clicking noises about 100yds into the trail. By a 1/4mi it sounded like the precision section of the Seattle symphony. At this point I decided to finish out the day because there was no saving the cv. By days end the passenger side also had a ridiculous amount of play in it. The drivers side inner boot is torn. These ate the worst cv's I've encountered. Just thought I would save someone else the trouble. I will be rebuilding the stock shafts and seeing what I can do about a refund on these.

So these were new and not the reman ones correct? There was a thread about the Cardones a few months ago, somebody said they were trying them/had tried and they worked pretty well. I was getting ready to buy a set myself, but now I'm sort of hesitant because I was going to get them from Rockauto. I may go back to the original plan and just get them from Oreillys so I can take them back same day if something like this happens.

Cardone Select should be the new CVs. They work just fine.

Obviously they dont for the OP. Maybe he should go on a "Tungsten" rant about how crappy parts are made these days. :laugh:

• Like 1

I put new Cardone Select shafts on a Toyota and they worked well but I may have been lucky there.

It's true. The auto parts industry sucks big fat hairy donuts. Your best bet is getting parts from the dealer and paying double the price so you don't have to do the same job twice.

Edited by Tungsten

Have to agree with Tungsten here (and it burns!), but yeah, I'm definitely going to rebuild the stock shafts, found a set with 56k on them that I will pick up for spares. I do have a small (1.5) lift up front, but they should not have bound up that badly.

• Like 1

I have one cardone cv shaft and it has held up well, I need to replace a shaft in my new pathy so I'll take that one out of my old one, its only been in there a year or so, but I wheeled on it many times with no issues.

Must not bitch about

I put new Cardone Select shafts on a Toyota and they worked well but I may have been lucky there.

It's true. The auto parts industry sucks big fat hairy donuts. Your best bet is getting parts from the dealer and paying double the price so you don't have to do the same job twice.

Its hard to disagree with this. The parts are made by the lowest bidder, always. Weather thats china/india/mexico or within our own boarders at shops that have McDonalds Emplyees working there that think they can run a Mill/Lathe/brake Press/ what ever because they have been trained by a guy who went to night school for a year.

Rebuild the factory ones. And try to get your money back or new ones to use as back ups.

^^my plan exactly^^ thanks again, really I had heard this before buying the cv's, and should have heeded the advice. Kudos.

Edited by AndyC

Today tore down the original CV's. Removed inner boots and disassembled the joints. None of the pieces showed any signs of wear. I put everything in a solvent tank, so we will see what comes out tomorrow.

use rockford boot and be done for a loooooooong time.... search my post on the forum.... I did a test with a rockford boot on one side and a regular neoprene on the other... after a year and a half, my neoprene showed some sign of tearing at the base of the boot...so i changed it... my rockford looks like new....

Edited by fleurys

Thanks, I've got the Rockford boots for the inners, thinking I should have ordered the outers also and have them all done. Can't wait to get these assembled and test it all out.

GSP shafts are not much better.

I had a similar experience with GSP.Bought New shafts. They broke my first trip out I then just replaced/rebuilt both of my factory half shafts. They were is great condition just the rubber deteriorated, I wish you luck with getting a refund or even getting it replaced. I contacted GSP and got no answer. I contacted Rock Auto and they could not help me as they stopped carrying GSP (Wonder WHY?)

Here is a link to my thread ( Thread says warn hubs broke, but it turns out the warn hub was busted by the broken half shaft.)

http://www.nissanpat...-hubs-wheeling/

(see photo)

http://imageshack.us...8/1001103w.jpg/

Edited by msavides

a1cce5a0.jpg

1c4fbed5.jpg

28d81a1e.jpg

26c593cc.jpg

So a two day soak and these are the original Nissan cv innards. Inside boot, anyone see any cause for concern? They seem pretty smooth for 170k mi.

Not sure about a trick. This was my cv, I removed the grease seals with a small screw driver and cut the boot off to minimize mess.

ec34307a.jpg

You're then left with this.

b5bbf40c.jpg

There is a snap ring holding the bearings and a planetary in place. Once the ring is off, the assembly pulled out.

Then you have...

0bca36cb.jpg

At the end of the shaft is another snap ring, once you remove it, you can completely disassemble the remaining pieces.

c38881a1.jpg

Hope that helps!

Had time to reassemble the cv's with the Rockford boots. They make the boots on the cardone shafts look like paper.

0cace317.jpg

Still need to tighten the grease seals, but everything looks good!