Manual locking hubs with stock 03-04 wheels

Just in case anyone has been baffled by this, I just finished the mod. The hole in the center of the stock 03 & 04 6 spoke wheels is too small for Warn hubs, but Rugged Ridge 15001.61 will fit, you just need to use a 1/4" spacer behind the wheels or the lip where the Nissan center cap goes will hit the lip of the hub. I needed to change some studs anyway, (Discount Tire stripped 5 of the 24 when they installed my Duratracs), so I removed all of the front studs and put in Dorman #610-340. They are M12x1.5, instead of x1.25, so I needed new lug nuts too, but they're 3/8" longer than stock so even after the spacers I get a couple extra turns of engagement. Nice solid and secure upgrade. I'll see if I can get a picture or two up, soon.

While you're in there. grease your wheel bearings.

• Like 1

Great news!!!

Couple questions; Where did you get the 1/4" spacer and Rugged Ridge 15001.61 hubs? Please do post couple pics with the spacer, wheels and the hub installed.

I was going to install warn hubs on my 2002 LE with no sucessed due to the center whole of wheel where too small, and now you give me holp!!!

Edited by accurrate1

Wheel spacers came from Summit Racing, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-7107/, they have a $9.95 handling and delivery charge, but I got my studs and lug nuts there also so it wasn't too bad. Hubs came from Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Rugged-Ridge-15001-61-Spline-Locking/dp/B001FANSJO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339459611&sr=8-1.

The wheel spacers are actually meant for 5/8" lugs, but a 1/2" lock washer pressed nicely into the holes and located it really good on the flange. I have to do an oil change and tire rotation in a couple of days, I'll get some pics then, I was also replacing a cv joint and packing my bearings yesterday and I didn't want to handle my camera when I was all yuck.

As far as the wheel spacing, there is about an 1/8' of interference if you try to put your wheels on without it. So, with the 1/4" spacer you have an 1/8" clearance easy. The problem with the stock lugs, in my opinion, they are not long enough right from the factory. You do not want to use this spacer without addressing the stud length, and I searched far and wide for M12 x 1.25 that were a 1/4" longer. The Dorman M12 x 1.5 that I used were the only thing that I could find that also met the head and knurl requirements. Changing them was a breeze with a bench vise and a little creative use of a couple sockets.

I really like the look of your tire/wheel configuration. I almost hate to admit that I first saw your tires and thought, "dang, those look aggressive" before scrolling to your second pic and realizing that those are the same tires I have. :lol:

I didn't want to mess with trimming and what not, so went with 245/75-16's. No rubbing issues whatsoever. Debated the E load rating, went with it because of all the sharp and nasty rocks out here in AZ, they ride just fine on the road with 40 psi front and 37 rear. Aired down to 18 psi off road, they are amazing!! And to think that I actually considered Geolanders.

they ride just fine on the road with 40 psi front and 37 rear.

Interesting, I air mine up to 40 psi on all corners (I'll go as low as 20 psi on the trails as I'm afraid I'll break the beads) but, I've not heard of running different pressures front/back?

The back of the truck isn't as heavy as the front, you don't need as much psi to get a similar tread contact patch. If I were hauling a trailer or other load I would bring the rear pressure up. I run a 5 psi front to rear difference on my Mustang. I've aired this way for years, and of course I keep a close eye on tread wear patterns to make sure that I'm aired correctly, tires aren't cheap.

I put on the Old Man Emu lift. It's advertised at 1/2" of lift, I ended up with just under 2" compared to my worn 140K mile stock suspension, the tires are 2" bigger diameter than the stock tires, so I gained almost 3" at the fenders. In person it looks very "balanced", somewhat sleeper.

Wow you guys really run your tires at 40psi?...or there abouts...if you run pressure that high wont it wear out the center tread blocks faster???

Ive got mine about 28-30psi. It has a nice solid footprint...about 1/8" from the edge of the tread blocks

Edited by Phantom01Pathfinder

It's the first time that I've had these particular tires, and I've only had this truck 9 months, so I'm keeping an eye on tread wear patterns. But, at 40f/37r psi I have a good looking contact patch. I rotate my tires every 5K miles at oil change time, and I do it myself, so I monitor wear pretty actively.

Where at in AZ are located? I'm in Mesa we have an all Nissan Offroad Club here. Truck looks nice by the way! I went with the Warn hubs nice to be able to lessen the wear and tear on the front drive train! I haven't seen any improvements on the gas mileage though which I was wishing for.

Thanks for the compliment, AZ, I'm in Ahwatukee. What's the contact for your club? There's some places that I'd like to go that in this state aren't the wisest to go into alone, there's a lot of desolation out there. When I'm out I have my hi-lift, tire repair kit, recovery kit, manual winch, 2 spare tires and on board air, but you never know when a ride may be handy.

DSCN6980-1.jpg

The compressor and inflation kit was about $310.00 to my door from Amazon. It was a little expensive, but what is the ability to pump up a tire in the boondocks worth? I bought the ARB inflation kit because ARB claims that you need a special heat resistant hose because the output from the compressor gets a little warm. Who knows, but I'm not about to find out in the middle of nowhere. The hose just jacks in like a typical compressor, for now it's just for tires. I've been contemplating air lockers, but this little truck 4 wheels pretty impressively the way that it is and I haven't really felt the need yet to hop up the axles.

Interesting, I air mine up to 40 psi on all corners (I'll go as low as 20 psi on the trails as I'm afraid I'll break the beads) but, I've not heard of running different pressures front/back?

40 psi...looks to much for me.

I drive normally on 30 psi all corners and aired down to 8 psi on sand and 12-15 psi on other terrains.

What you're moving?? And Dave I could try and get something together with the group, our group isn't nearly as active as it once was but still a great group of people. . Perhaps just a meet up as its getting a bit too hot to wheel here

I was up to Flag Sunday, bombing around the back side of Mt Humphry. Not really wheeling, but fun none the less. Did a bit of mountain biking too, my other hobby. Actually my main hobby, I've got a bike that I paid more for than I did my Pathy. I like to hike also. Heck, I like anything that's outdoors in this awesome state.

• Like 1

I think I see the size in the pic, look like 245/75/16? what lift do you have on that?

I have those duratracs still sitting in my garage, I gotta get my 5 spoke wheels painted first. they look good, i'm still debating the white letter in/out thing, but my truck is silver and black looks good on yours.