New issues...

NissanNismoZ

Well.. I couldn't clean it all the way as my big.wrench was forgotten at my friends house, but

I removed the two bolts holding itnto the intake and sprayed the crap out of it with Carb cleaner and kept pumping the little speaker like thing on the bottom. Then I did the same for the vacuum port on top of it. Put it all back together and TADA! It now spins out in gravels and accelerates up my.hill.again!

It still bogs some at WOT but I didn't get the chance to clean it thoroughly yet. But it DEFINITELY has 80% more bottom.end than it.did! ! :)

Lets see how it.does when I finish it up tonight.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy... Block off the exhaust port that goes to the exhaust manifold and block off the intake port on the intake manifold. Then cap the vacuum line on the EGR kill solenoid.

Yes, it will. The code will stay on as EGR function but since the excess exhaust gas isn't borking up the intake you should not have drive-ability issues. There are vehicles that do not run without the EGR valve in place but these will work without the EGR just fine. If you want to get rid of the code, go pull a EGR valve from the junkyard and check it for sticking. You can get several and try them all. :lol:

Don't know if anyone saw my previous post, so I'll repeat it........ "This may sound really stupid, but have you cleaned the throttle body? My 96 would struggle up hills, etc, no matter how hard I pushed the throttle it would just go at the same slow speed up hills (kinda like a diesel). I cleaned the throttle body & now it freaking flies up hills! Just a thought".

If you have cleaned the throttle body did you use the correct cleaner & did you clean it properly?

• Like 1

By "throttle plate" do you mean the actual butterfly that opens & closes when you use the throttle? If so, then you also need to clean behind that in the throttle chamber itself. I'm sure there is a thread somewhere that shows you how to do it. The best thing is to take the whole throttle chamber off & clean it, that way you won't blow any crap into the IAC valve, etc. When I did mine I had about 1/2 a pint of brown, greasy gunk flow out :lol: You can also remove the plastic intake & clean all that out, just unplug the MAF sensor first.

As I said, mine ran fine before the cleaning but it was gutless up hills & after the cleaning it fly's up hills. It seems like you had some other problems as well, but maybe this will help. Don't give up, it's all part of the fun of being a Pathy owner!! :lmao::laugh: :laugh:

Look on the bright side, you could be doing this on a Jeep or a Toyota, the only difference is after you fix this you'll at least have a decent truck :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Like 1

Wow..yeah I do mean the little butterfly plate. Mine is probably due for a cleaning, no doubt..

Oh trust me..if i were going to give up, i would have taken the offer to trade it to the 98 Frontier...but nah. I have too much time into pathy to just..trade it.

I will say this morning i cleaned the EGR to the best of my ability and it definitely drives like it used to. :) I can actually pass people up hills, an d it has REAL throttle response! My guess is since my timing is so advanced (all the way) its causing it to be still a little sluggish, but honestly im scared to retard it back to where it was...

Oh yeah, trust me. I'm a proud Pathy owner. :D

Haha! That's true! And it's still better looking than any Jeep or Toyota while its running bad!

Edited by NissanNismoZ
  • Like 1

"Tis a nice looking truck, love the red!

I would definitely take the throttle body off & clean it, a lot of greasy sheeit builds up in there. My butterfly plate was so covered in poop, my throttle was actually sticking shut!! I would also run some "Seafom" thru it as well, helps to unstick valves, etc. Made a big difference on mine. A lot of the newer models don't need this kind of cleaning as modern fuels have cleaner additives, but older trucks have been run on the old gasoline with no additives for years & get "gummed up".

Thanks! :D Have to say i'm loving how your Pathy has come along.. It looks mean!!

I've ran Seafoam through it once..but that was a year ago..i'll probably run some through it again since the lower intake i put on it didnt look as clean as the one i had.. I can say that after all this i'm a pro at removing and re assembling the upper and lower intakes. :D

Though im pretty sure i dont want to touch that territory again for a WHILE.

I'll try that..Thanks!!

• Like 1

:D Thanks for the comment about my truck, everything is "El Cheapo" until I can get the money for decent equipment, it's almost a Chinese model because of all the Ebay cheap & nasty accessories on it!!

Let us know how it goes with the throttle body clean, hopefully it will make a big difference.

Best way to clean the TB and idle air control valve (if equipped) would be to remove them, then clean with a throttle body cleaner aerosol product, and reinstall with new gaskets if possible. Intake cleaning is best done using a product which foams up, such as Amsoil Power Foam or Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner as I mentioned before. Follow the directions of course!

• Like 1

I never said Seafoam would clean the throttle body, it's used through a vacuum line AFTER the TB to clean out the intake & free up valves, etc. I'm not a great believer in the "mechanic in a can" theory but I know that it helped me. I cleaned my TB with B12 & it worked fine. I have great power all the time & I get about 18mpg around town & maybe 22-24mpg highway, whereas I was only getting about 12mpg city & 14-16 mpg before the TB clean (& the manual hubs of course!! :laugh: :laugh: ).

If anyone would read the previous posts, I recommended removing the TB for cleaning, not cleaning in place with an aerosol. That's a half arsed measure at best & would probably get a ton of shee-ite down into the engine anyway. :ohno01:

I know that everyone is just trying to help but poor ol' NissanNismoZ is getting so much info thrown at him his head is probably exploding trying to take it all in :lmao::suicide: Let him try the simple, easy things first then work on the other problems :itsallgood::aok:

Edited by theexbrit
  • Like 1

And i definitely appreciate it!

So today i went to the junkyard..got a EGR valve off a 95 LE.

Tada! Drives even BETTER than it has been! it still idles low as crap..but i dont know what to do about that.

Anyway, it treated me good until around 30m driving..i stop and get a drink and get back in..and bleeeehhhhh.

I instinctively get out, pump the EGR and tada! good as new.

Why do i have such bad luck with these?!

I stuck the EGR in a tiny bowl nearly full of carb cleaner (it covers the in and out ports) and im going to let it sit overnight.

I will say this EGR actually moves up and down smoothly compared to my old one.

I'm starting to question the EGR-BPT valve..what does it do and how does it affect the running? I've seen some pathy's without them..