since you guys are 1 for 1. I have another question.

banx

So gentlemen (and ladies) i have this new to me pathfinder..... 1991 se. posted a question a control arm bushing cause search wasn't working and your answeres gave me the courage to successfully do these steering/suspension repairs myself.

so it had had an engine swap. just another 3l v6. 2 inch lift body. has had some maintenance work done by me. control arms, bushing, tie rods..... just got the alignment done yesterday.

so I took it on a fairly long drive yesterday to buy some used 31's. vehicle was running great. no heating issues. power was very good. (has 3 inch exhaust) and I was enjoying the sunny vancouver weather.

so I go to fire up the truck this morning and it will not start. lights come on the dash, radio works as well as all auxilary options...

there is no ticking noise when trying to start, no sound at all..... just the silence of death.

so I gave the starter a shot with a hammer on the bushing side. not very hard just a decent 'shot'

the starter was replaced not even a year ago. (have receipt) so just wondering where to start.

have any of you guys had a random no start when everything appears to be fine. no hint of any mechanical/electrical issues.? is there a neutral sensor or something? are there any specific relays I should look at?

so where would you guys start?? i've owned this thing like a week and only drove it yesterday. for 2 fskcin hours.... it's spent more time on jack stands in my parking garage than it has on its own tires. :blush:

So what do the lights on the dash do when you go to start it? Dim? Go out completely? One thought is a bad connection at the battery. Sometimes the connection is good enough to turn on dash lights and such but not good enough to give power to solenoid/starter. Also, bad battery can cause this. Have you tried jump starting it?

A manual transmission will have clutch switch..which means it won't turn over if the clutch pedal is not depressed. As I call there is actually a little plastic piece that goes in a hole on a tab on the clutch pedal arm that actually pushes the switch. I had this piece of plastic disintegrate due to age so that when I pushed the pedal down the protruding part of the switch went right through the hole so it didn't activate the switch and I couldn't start it. I replaced the plastic piece with something I had on hand and everything worked fine again.

This is by no means an extensive list of all things that could be causing your issue. There are other threads out there about starting/starter issues that may help with other ideas.

thanks. I have a buddy coming over after work too. I was going to put a charge on the battery as well as have him help me 'jump' it.

I will look into that clutch pedal switch as its a manual.....

the battery 'appeared' fine. as well as the connections. I will give it a thorough once over after work today.

just took my by suprise as the amount of work, love and attention this thing got in the last year from its previous owner.

did you happen to see anything laying on the floor, possibly something that looks like an old lifesaver candy? The manual trans trucks (and cars) as was mentioned (clutch switch), have a rubber/plastic material bumper that presses against the switch when the clutch pedal is depressed, if that bumper fell out the switch does not get pressed and you get nothing when you go to start it.

If the bumper is still there when you turn the key to start have someone listen under the hood to see if they can hear the relay click, if no sound is heard it could be a bad starter relay.

If you have a test light and know where the starter relay is or if you can get the wire going to the starter solenoid off you can check for power at the wire going to the sloenoid when you try to start it.

Another thing you can do to eliminate the starter as being the problem is to un plug the wire going to the starter solenoid and connect a jumper wire from the solenoid to the positive battery terminal, I don't mean to leave it connected just to touch it to the positive to see if the starter engages.

I've had past issues with replacement starters, and have a issue right now with one I just replaced in January, always remember just because something is new does not mean it can not be the problem. Don't know what starter you put in (rebuilt, new,OEM, etc) but the quality of reman starters isn't very high.

just for your info, that little rubber bumper for the clutch switch is the same for the brake light switch on the brake pedal, always good to keep an extra one in the truck if you happen to order a new one.

Edited by ahardb0dy

With this type of issue I always recommend checking the connections at the battery terminals, at the starter (check the voltage there also) and most importantly and often overlooked, the ground wire contact points to the chassis and engine. If these are all good then you know it is not a current issue per se.

B

when I replaced my starter in January, I ran new 4 Gauge power wire from the positive terminal to the starter, along with new street Wires car Audio type battery terminals, I eliminated that connector on the positive terminal (the stock one as the metal was broke where it attached to the stock terminal), and I also ran a 4 gauge ground wire from one of the starter bolts to the crossmember. Everything is new and starter worked fine, well up unil last Monday.

Bottom line it doesn't matter what you do if the part you use to replace the original is crap. I should have learned my lesson after the starter fiasco on my old hardbody, so my advice is don't go cheap, get a quality part the first time even if it means spending more for it.

thank you gentlemen.

so the plastic donut is still there on the clutch pedal...... the lights do not dim at all when I try to start it.

the battery connections are solid. though i forgot my voltmeter at work.

my friend should be arriving shortly...... with MY battery charger. hahaha and jumper cables ironically.

that being said, I looked at the receipt for the starter and its a lordco rebuild..... so that is a definite possibility. ( if thats the case I will buck up and pay for a quality piece)

so when my friend arrives I will do a voltage check on battery, re- check grounds, listen for the relay click, and hot wire the starter to see it will turn then.

all possibilities mentioned above will be looked at.....

just want to say thanks again boys. time is money, and if i can diagnose this without having to pay a mechanic to trouble shoot it makes me smile.

Edited by banx

If the lights don't dim out, its probably not the battery. Try turning the key to start and then back to "on" a few times really fast. That got it going last time I was helping someone with a no start pathy.

well gentlemen, you are 2 for 2. was just a loose wire connection on the newly installed starter. runs great.

thanks again. I will have to post some pics.

cheers

2 for 2? Knew I shoulda came in and told you it was a cracked taillight lense, a cacity in a wisdom tooth and a side effect to taking THAT pill! Balance out the fraction! :rofl:

you take the blue pill you wake up in your bed like nothing happened, you take the red pill and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes (or something like that), you take the pink pill, you two tone your truck pink, and start adding all pink accessories !!