Average cost of SAS?

I'm new to 4x4. I have some fabrication skills but I dont want to tackle a SAS. If I went to a 4x4 shop what should I expect to pay for SAS with a 6" lift? Thanks this site has been very helpful!

If you're interested in traveling or shipping your truck hit up Carolina Truggies...they do good work from what I've seen...I met Alex at autofair with about 8 of their rigs...I know I've been costing mine out and to do it myslef and is gonna be about 3-4k...

Steevo at Rugged Rocks Offroad is working on a SAS kit for WD21s and is also a good point of contact for parts

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to decide if i really want to sink another 6k into a 95 pathfinder... I love the truck but might sell it and just buy a more capable rig. But in the mean time im gonna have fun with it. Almost hydrolocked it last weekend! :excl:

If you are thrifty you can do it a whole lot cheaper than 6K.

Craigslist is a great resource for parts, or complete parts rigs.

And most of the cost will simply be fabrication as it will ALL be custom.

If you are handy with a welder, and are patient...as well as have the ability to leave your rig on jack stands for an extended period of time (a second vehicle perhaps) then you are golden.

No greater way to learn then to dive in head first!!!

And the best part...

There are pathy's EVERYWHERE so if you screw something up, more than likely a local yard will have what you need.

Good luck!

I build ships for a living. I can do any cutting or welding needed, but I have almost no mechanical ability lol. I cant even name half of the 1000 parts on the front end. I like being different and there are very few hardbody pathfinders in Alabama. I bought the truck for 600 bucks had a buddy help me swap the motor and now I got about 2000 in it. I have to snorkel it before I get back in the mud. Its on the verge of quite a few front end parts wearing out. If I had a shop or garage I would possibly attempt it but I dont. Kinda at a crossroad right now...

Mobile, there are a few in junk yards I meant on the roads. I was thinking about selling it and buying a jeep that alredy has dana 44s and lifted and all that good stuff, but then it would be just another jeep. And I would probably never run into a SAS pathfinder espeacially around here. It would definately be a big commitment to the pathfinder if I'm gonna do it. I want to lift it 6" do the axle swap, and put some serious tires under it. Atleast 35's km2's or baja claws. Would love to have the Maxxis Creepy Crawlers but not sure if the stock 3.0 could handle 37's or 38's. Sorry for rambling on just really not sure what I want to do.

Well I would say that if we lived closer we could knock out a swap pretty quickly... I frequent Anniston and Montgomery, but Mobile is a drive for me...

The 3.0 can handle the larger tires. The Toy's with the 22RE 4 cylinders run 40+ inch tires with ease....Its all in the gearing...

Body swap it onto a K5 frame...?

I found a guy locally that does SAS's on craigslist but he hasnt responded to my text yet. What gears should I run if I wanted 38's? Thanks in advance. I am going to start collecting parts for the swap and if I dont do it I'll just sell them. But got the wife almost talked into it! :aok:

Tmoore is right if you source the parts you will save a lot. I found a really nicely done pathfinder on craigslist with SAS and calmini 4-1 transfer case for 6k obo. It was very nicely done. I would have bought it if I wasnt already doing my own, and the wife said I don't need TWO. :headwall:

As for gears, 4.56 is better fuel economy with 38's, 5.13 midrange power and economy, 5.38 is more power...

I posted a chart on the old forum, wonder if it got transfered...

Thanks tmoore I started a new job today working 70+ hrs a week, so I will be paying somebody to do it but atleast I'll have the money to do it. I found a dana 44 for 200 on craigslist. I want to find and buy all the parts I can till I get ready to do it. Not sure yet exactly how I want to build the truck. 3'' bl + 3"sl, 6" sl, or 3"bl + 6"sl what do ya think?

I have been advised against leafs to stuff 35s and against keeping my 3" BL with my coil over...I'm going to keep the 3" bl and try to make 35-37s work with a SAS but less sprung weight lift and use the BL to clear tires but we shall see over The next 12 months

One must first ask why?

Is it going to be a dd?

Is the wife/gal going to drive it?

For a daily rig that other folks can drive.. links are the only way to go. If you just want a tall bitch for yourself.. leaf springs are ok. There have been many leaf spring rigs that end up coil spring after a short period of time.

Obviously everyone is going to give you their two cents. However, you must figure out what you want. A rig built for your needs is how you should think.

I have built quite a few different styles of SASed rigs. My "Beat to Hell" wheelin rig has leaf springs. It can be somewhat sketchy on the highway.. however I built it to be beat! So why invest the big bucks into fancy links etc. Now I also have a DD in the works that will be radius arm with coils and shocks. These tend to ride nice, sway a bit, and be predictable when hitting a bump while going around a corner. A radius arm setup can be built to require a minimum amount of exhaust work. Three link setups are nice too.. however they can totally be out of wack by not using a 3 link calculator. Lifting a 3 link rig, after it was built for a lower height, can also jack with the setup.

Non the matter if you like working with steel you win. So have fun, post up some pics for the window lickers to enjoy, and make sure you reasearch what you want before you buy something you don't need.

Edited by GrandpaX

Ok, talked to a guy today said he would swap the front and rear axles out with two toyota axles and do leaf spring suspension and about a 6'' lift to put 35'' tires on it for 2500. Price doesnt include tires ofcoarse. He said the toyota axles were stronger and would have matching gears. What do ya think?

Edited by Pathmaker95

• 2 weeks later...

Toyota rear axle is not stronger.8 inch ring and pinion vs 9.25ish... not even comparable. The axles are strong though. but what about the passenger side diff up front? How will you get your propeller shaft to line up?

There is one possible concern that hasn't been mentioned surounding the price tag and it happened to me. Once you start the SAS, you might start finding other things you want changed. Before you know it you have rebuilt the whole truck front to back, motor, tranny, rear suspension, and so on. Heck, I didnt even leave the cigarette lighter plug alone. Almost 2 years later, 3 daily drivers and unknown price tagm, still not done.