Sizzling noise when turning sharp left...

NissanNismoZ

So..i'm going down the road and i hear this loud sizzling noise..like..cold hitting hot, or cold getting frozen, etc.

i got curious and did a circle, and looked in the passenger side and noticed water dripping on the passenger side floor board..meanwhile the A/C is still properly charged, all fluids are still good and A/C is still cold.

Is it just condensation? or something serious?

I was thinking something along the lines of a drain hose being possibly clogged, but i'm not sure...

Thanks. :)

So..i'm going down the road and i hear this loud sizzling noise..like..cold hitting hot, or cold getting frozen, etc.

i got curious and did a circle, and looked in the passenger side and noticed water dripping on the passenger side floor board..meanwhile the A/C is still properly charged, all fluids are still good and A/C is still cold.

Is it just condensation? or something serious?

I was thinking something along the lines of a drain hose being possibly clogged, but i'm not sure...

Thanks. :)

I had the exact same problem on a trip up to Alaska a few years back. The heater/AC blower failed a few days after these symptoms. I took the heater blower apart, thinking that the rubbing while turning left was worn parts in the blower causing some rubbing when shifting direction. At the bottom of the DC motor, there's a small bushing looking thing that looked worn, (if I remember correctly). I cut up an electrical stake-on connector (round terminal) and used it as a spacer to prop the fan motor up and re-assmebled. It worked perfectly for another 6 months or so, then failed in the winter. I just replaced the blower and motor with one from a junkyard. It's been fine since.

As far as the water dripping, when you take it apart to look at the motor, there's a little rubber hose that connects to the blower that needs to come off, I found that this is where the condensation was coming from, there was a bunch of crap in the elbow that I cleaned out and it's been fine. Not really sure why the condensation was there in the first place, but that's the best answer I have.

HeaterBlower.jpg

Edited by pathybuilder

Wow, im glad i didnt overlook it, thank you! I'll be sure to check this out tomorrow! (i would today, but..work calls...)

I appreciate it! I didnt think it was anything to be concerned with, but i noticed that little hose piece..

x2

As others stated, the sizzling noise when you turn is water sloshing around in the cooling box. Be careful when cleaning the drain hose because if you put something sharp in there you can puncture the evaporator.

• Like 1

what are you talking about?

On my truck, there is a black hose running out of the cab straight down. It's zip-tied to some other hoses to keep it in place. It just runs down out to the ground. It's for the A/C to release condensation water. If that hose somehow came loose, it's only a few inches from my exhaust. I'll take pictures tomorrow.

I don't know about Hardbodies but it's not like that on Pathfinders (at least not on LHD models). The drain tube goes from the bottom of the cooling box straight through the firewall. That tube exits on the right while the exhaust pipe is on the left. It could hit the down pipe but it doesn't seem to be that close to the pipe to do so.

Edited by Tungsten

I don't know about Hardbodies but it's not like that on Pathfinders (at least not on LHD models). The drain tube goes from the bottom of the cooling box straight through the firewall. That tube exits on the right while the exhaust pipe is on the left. It could hit the down pipe but it doesn't seem to be that close to the pipe to do so.

Actually mine was long enough. Nice little burn right through the little hose.

Alright so now I have a bigger problem.. When it rains it POURS (no pun intended) out water when I turn left. To the point of soaking the carpet.. Any ideas what this could be? It's actually getting pretty serious and I'm worried it'll be hitting the ECU next..

Thanks!

Edited by NissanNismoZ

Alright so now I have a bigger problem.. When it rains it POURS (no pun intended) out water when I turn left. To the point of soaking the carpet.. Any ideas what this could be? It's actually getting pretty serious and I'm worried it'll be hitting the ECU next..

Thanks!

Like mentioned in this thead, you've got something plugging up your drain hose. I inadvertantly pinched the hose in my Miata when I was reinstalling the dash after changing out my heater core. I had the same thing except it would piss all over my feet on sharp left turns. You probably have picked up some leaves or other trash that is plugging it up.

• Like 1

Didn't mean for it to take forever to reply, but, i stuck a flexible screwdriver up in the hole, pulled it out hard (to create a plunging effect) and it made a pop noise and spewed out water for around an hour and continued dripping for another 3 hours..

needless to say i think it had to pee, pretty bad, but thanks! I appreciate it. :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have a 1992 pathfinder that when I turned left water would slosh around and dumped water all over the carpet. My problem was that the evaporator pan/container underneath the glove box is clogged. I went under the car and saw where the hose drain was located. I sticked a small flexible branch up the hose high enough where water started to gushed out. No water now.

The one thing I hate about this is there is a piece of Styrofoam lining the box. If the box ever had water in it then mold will grow on there. If the A/C ever fails, take the box out and clean the lining or just remove it.

I'll bet the condensation is from the A/C condenser.

it's the evap not the condenser

At least it doesn't, though. My dad's Frontier sure did did. Get in on a hot day, turn on the AC, and you'd get a bunch of hot swamp-ass scented air coming out the vents until it cooled off. :P

I don't know if Nissan still does it but back in the late 80s or early 90s they were having that problem with mold growing in the evap box. Thery came out with a spray kit that we used to kill the mold, we had to use a respirator as the spray was pretty toxic, evrytime I did 1 I had a headache for a couple of hours, real nasty stuff

Mine did the same as others had mentioned. I simply cleaned out the drain, it fixed it for a while... The second time it happened, I tore down the dash and the box, finding that there was some insulation that had fell down into the bottom of the container and started to clog the drain. Removed the insulation, resealed the box and no problems since...

Why was there insulation in there? Dunno. I have seen the inside of plenty of heater core/evaporator boxes and the insulation is always on the outside... Maybe the PO??

39219_415868199074_1268135_n.jpg

That's how Nissan designed these boxes. You can see there is some nasty crap at the bottom and most of it was missing because it kept breaking up and going out of the drain hose.

I'm willing to bet all that nasty crap is from the condensation dripping all over the leaves and @!*% in the box...

I'll side with that bet myself. It is amazing what will get "sucked up" in there. I park under a tree and have pulled all sorts of crap out of my Pathy and my *hot rod* (Miata)