Shock question

MightyN2

My 95 pathy has a switch in it that says sport/comfort and a pic of a shock. It doesnt have air shocks but it does have 2 little wires goin to the top of the shocks. I have tried it in both positions and really didnt notice a diffrence. Just wondering what the diff is between the two positions. I think it still has the factory shocks on it.

Sound like factory shocks to me! Comfort is suppose to provide a soft ride, and Sport is supposed to be much stiffer. Of course depending on mileage and shock usage, they could be worn out and don't work. I compare them to the old style rancho 9000s with 5 settings, instead of the current 9. And Comfort is the equivalent of 1 and Sport would be about 3.5-4.

You could check by putting a voltage meter to those wires when pushing the button in sport mode. Then the same in Comfort. I was reading it in the FSM yesterday. You could also lift the truck and compress the shocks then check for a difference in speed when they extend back out. Those were the two ways I remember reading about. :] Hope I helped.

The shocks on my 94 still work really well. What I did to test them is this, press the button down on the comfort side and hold it for a few seconds, than open the rear hatch and press down on the floor, it should move up and down pretty easily, now press on the sport side of the switch for a few seconds, now press down on the floor in the rear, if the shocks are working you shouldn't be able to move the truck as easily as you did the first time.

Second way I checked mine is to do this, press on switch comfort side same as before, now standing on one side of the truck press against the top of the truck trying to rock it from the side, again it should move easily, now press on the sport end of the switch and try to rock the truck again, once again if the shocks are working you shouldn't be able to rock the truck as easily.

The shocks on my 94 still work really well. What I did to test them is this, press the button down on the comfort side and hold it for a few seconds, than open the rear hatch and press down on the floor, it should move up and down pretty easily, now press on the sport side of the switch for a few seconds, now press down on the floor in the rear, if the shocks are working you shouldn't be able to move the truck as easily as you did the first time.

Second way I checked mine is to do this, press on switch comfort side same as before, now standing on one side of the truck press against the top of the truck trying to rock it from the side, again it should move easily, now press on the sport end of the switch and try to rock the truck again, once again if the shocks are working you shouldn't be able to rock the truck as easily.

This Guy ^^ :clap:

My favorite point of leverage is an open tire carrier! But grabbing on to the roof rails from the side and pulling back and forth works too. You should definitely be able to tell if the shocks are in sport mode. It's pretty friggin stiff.

As my buddys brother, who was a nissan parts manager for all his life says, comfort = couch, and sport = washboard. cause when it's in sport mode, you feel EVERYTHING.

Hey dumb question.....

What would have to be done to make a ride "super smooth"? In other words, I feel all the cracks pretty well driving in town, and was wondering if there is a way to reduce all that bumping. It seems hard on the system.

Are there "shocks" a person can buy that will make a ride smoother, like super thick, big and expensive ones or something?

Or would the entire suspension have to be changed out to a fancier system?